“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #38 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Plaza Athenee last week May 2014 for a business conference for 5 nights. My room was very clean, with a beautiful city view and I enjoyed the swimming pool. The breakfast was also amazing. I walked to the corner outside hotel where I asked for a taxi. The taxi guys are friendly and for 20baht they took me to MBK shopping centre (5-10min) from hotel. For that price we had to stop at his friends material store first for 5 mins. It is a pricy hotel (5000bht per night ) but I felt safe and for business purposes it was wonderful.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Teresa v,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and for staying with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Our signature Le Méridien Breakfast offers a wide variety of mouthwatering cuisines and we are delighted you enjoyed it. We are also happy that you enjoyed the view from your room and that you took the time to enjoy our lagoon styled swimming pool. Should you be planning a visit again in the near future, please note that we do feature some exceptional special offer and packages on our Special Offers page on our hotel website.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel during your next visit to Bangkok.

Gilles Evrard
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I had the great pleasure of staying with Le Meridien Plaza Anthenee this past week for a conference, and from the moment I checked in, every effort was made by the staff to ensure my very busy stay was well executed and seamless. From the front desk staff and concierge, through to the restaurant staff who remembered my morning preferences after the first day, I could not have asked for better service. The concierge went out of his way to make recommendations that not only helped me personally, but ensured my clients enjoyed their experiences as well.

The Le Meridien Club Lounge had everything I needed, and again the staff were fantastic. The conference facilities were well appointed, with everything working as expected. Being from North America, I also appreciated how well the air conditioning worked, to help counteract the humidity and temperature in Bangkok.

I would highly recommend the property to any traveler.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Steve C,

I would like to thank you for your support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for taking the time to share such kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

It certainly is a great honor to receive such positive feedback on our associates in so many areas in the hotel, thank you. Our Royal Club Lounge does indeed offer some excellent benefits and facilities and we are thrilled that you appreciated it. We are also delighted that you were happy with our conference facilities and that your clients were also happy with their experience with us.

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel for another enjoyable stay.

Gilles Evrard
Hotel Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights. The rooms were clean, beds really comfortable, staff very friendly and very helpful in everything we needed. I particularly enjoyed the pool area. It felt like we were not in the city centre. The location is terrific as traffic can be very busy in Bangkok, so we could walk anywhere. Really pleased with all!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Oz45,

Thank you for sharing such kind feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

We are delighted that your stay with us met your expectations and that you found our associates to be friendly and helpful. We are thrilled that you liked our signature Le Méridien bed and that you found our close proximity to the Ploenchit BTS Station to be a quick alternative to the heavy Bangkok Traffic. Our lagoon styled swimming pool does indeed provide a haven for relaxation within this vibrant city and we are glad that you enjoyed using it.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to providing you with another enjoyable stay during your next visit to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at Plaza Athenee for a conference and it was an absolute pleasure. The staff wait on you hand and foot and simply cannot do enough for you. Each time I called for something i.e. extra hangers I would receive them promptly and then receive a follow up call to make sure I had received them, it is these little things that make your stay very special.

I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Rain Tree cafe, the buffet breakfast is a lovely spread with everything from the local thai food and dim sum, for those wanting to experience the thai flare, continental breakfasts with lovely fresh exotic fruits and the good old english breakfasts made to order to your preference and a very impressive waffle and pancake stand for the kids (or adults).

The A la Carte menu is just as pleasing as it has foods from all over the world, Indian, Thai, Pizza, Pasta, Burgers, Sandwiches and more. I never had a chance to eat in the other restaurants in the hotel.

The service in the Rain Tree is exceptional, I was travelling on my own but found that I was never short of company as each waiter chatted to me and engaged in pleasant conversation which always feels lovely when you are travelling and dining alone. The manager made a point of chatting to me each day and wishing me well on my last night so look out for Thomas Deledalle the manager and my lovely waiter Sarunyoo.

The rain tree has a beautiful setting looking out onto a fountain feature with the authentic buzz of Bangkok traffic in the background (no noise can be heard, but you can watch the traffic whizz by in the distance) You can step outside into that lovely Bangkok heat and enjoy a drink outside by the fountain and then hear the buzz of Bangkok.

The rooms are perfect for business travel, they have large desks where I worked very comfortably most evenings, always a hot shower and lovely linen. They stock the rooms with plenty of complimentary water, about 6 bottles a day which is useful as I don't think drinking water in Thailand is advisable. They also keep them stocked with complimentary fruit and a little treat each evening when you get back to your room.

There is a gorgeous roof top pool in a very tranquil rooftop garden like setting where you can lie by the pool and gaze at the wonder that is the Bangkok skyline. The spa is also beautiful, I had a manicure and was very impressed at the results.

The location is great, a 2 min walk and you are on the sky walk which can take you straight through all of the biggest and best malls in Bangkok, the furthest being 10 minutes walk to MBK, on your way to MBK you pass Central Embassy and Siam to mention a few, so the perfect spot to be close to the best shopping spots.

Also, the exquisite entrance to the hotel must be mentioned, it really is quite breathtaking when you arrive, jet lagged and annoyed to walk into the most beautiful entrance with a lovely staircase leading to the next floor.

All in all a great trip and I will most certainly be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear tracey s,

Thank you for staying with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing such a detailed review on TripAdvisor.

It is an absolute delight to know that our associates provided you with both personalized and caring service, this certainly highlights what we strive to offer all our valued guests. Spa Athénée certainly does provide exceptional treatments and we are thrilled that you were happy with your manicure. Our Blood Type Massage is a signature treatment of the Spa Athénée which you should definitely not miss on your next visit!

Thank you for highlighting our award winning restaurant, The Rain Tree Café. We endeavor to offer a wide variety of mouthwatering cuisine on our buffet and we are delighted that you enjoyed all your meals there. I will also be sure to recognize Thomas and Sarunyoo for going the extra step, thank you for highlighting them. I would like to take this oppourtunity to let you know that we have recently had a new luxury shopping mall called Central Embassy that has opened and it is located only 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Once again, thank you for taking your time to share such kind feedback on TripAdvisor. We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another exceptional stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Had a spectacular time at this hotel for vacation in Bangkok! Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- Service - great service from the concierge and front desk. Excellent SPG quality - they give you their address, the destination address in thai, and get the taxi for you
- Breakfast - WOW. So many choices. Omelettes, soups, dim sum, and more. Outstanding service, food, drinks, and fruits
- Facilities - pretty good gym. On par with normal SPG, and free bottled waters

Cons:
- Location - not far from everything. In traffic, 1 hour (meh) to the grand palace, but without traffic, only 20 minutes or so. Not the optimal tourist spot, but not poor either
- Restaurants - they gave me a 30% off coupon to 5 restaurants. Price was about $72+ for 2 with some wine. Not bad, but definitely on the higher end for Thailand
- Sketchy cab drivers - this is out of control for the hotel, but they allow normal taxis to come by. A lot of taxis were trying to sell us "boom boom" services, which I thought was a bit unprofessional (again out of control for SPG)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear AlbertoW1,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for taking your time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are thrilled that you found the service provided by our Front Office Team to be great and that you thoroughly enjoyed our new signature Le Méridien breakfast. We do indeed feature a variety of award winning Restaurants such as The Reflexions serving French cuisine, Silk Road serving Cantonese cuisine, Utage serving Japanese cuisine and Smooth Curry serving Royal Thai cuisine to name a few. In each of these venues we endeavor to use only the freshest highest quality ingredients to ensure that all our valued guests have an exceptional dining experience and I am delighted you enjoyed your meal with us. As traffic can get quite congested within Bangkok, we recommend that guests make use of the BTS Skytrain which can be accessed via the Phloen Chit BTS station which is only a few minutes’ walk from the hotel. We do also have several shopping malls located near the hotel such as Central Embassy, Siam Paragon and CentralWorld for those looking to do a bit of shopping.

Once again, thank you so much for your kind feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed in this hotel (mid-floor) for 3 nights in end Apr 2014. Generally, the room furnishing/fitting look rather dated/old. In the room that I stayed, the aircon duct producing humming noise all day and for a light sleeper like me, it can be annoying trying to get a good rest at night. For me, I also do not like the air conditional layout. The cold air blows directly onto my face causing running nose when working on my laptop at the study table. At night, the room temperature refused to go any lower even though I adjusted the temperature to the lowest possible. Therefore, I truly believe some make-over and renovations are due for the hotel.

Location wise, the hotel is near to Ploenchit BTS and is some walking distance to Central World/Siam Paragon. Standard buffet breakfast. The staffs generally provide very good and caring services.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear KM_SGP,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay with us. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that we are in the process of remodeling our guestrooms to ensure that our valued guests continue to receive the highest standard of facilities.

Our hotel is indeed centrally located in the heart of Bangkok and we are delighted that you appreciated our location. We do have a new luxury shopping mall called Central Embassy which has recently opened and it is only five minutes’ walk from the hotel. We are also thrilled that you found our associates offered you good service and that you found them to have a caring nature.

Thank you once again for your valued feedback. I trust that you will not judge us solely based on this experience and would consider to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel during your next visit to Bangkok.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We been staying this hotel for couple of years now.Great Location, fantastic service, great view, all in all a great hotel which offer little space to complain.Hope to be your guest soon. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Ashak1971,

Thank you for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing such kind words on TripAdvisor.

It certainly is rewarding when a valued guest such as yourself finds our hotel to be great, our service to be fantastic and that you appreciate our central location, thank you. I will be sure to share your kind comments with the team. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.