“Despite the age appearance It was NICE to be back”

Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel
Ranked #38 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Vancouver, Washington
“Despite the age appearance It was NICE to be back”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

For the last 4 years this has been my hotel of choice when visiting Bangkok, normally for business but this last trip I actually came to chill out and just relax. One of my friends suggested there were cheaper options-- maybe $50/night cheaper-- and another was trying to get me to try the Okura, his hotel of choice. It was tempting, I am sure they are nice choices. Plus the hotel is going through renovations so again it was tempting. Then I remembered my earlier reviews-- about how the staff make the difference and I knew that is what would draw me back. Coming in at 2 am and being greeted with welcome back (yes I know they have it on the computer-my whole history) but they generally seemed to be glad I was back. Most were gone from my last visit, and I missed that a little, and I was trying to see for the first couple of days if the staff service was lessening in flavor even a little. I did notice some, but maybe it was me, I was really tired. There did not seem to be enough breakfast staff, and many seemed tired and disjointed. However, my last 2 days, I saw one of the old timers who remembered me, and some others and it was good to see. Then, I had an evening meal (top floor is great perk be sure to get it) with a business man who spends about 6 weeks a year in Bangkok. He as was telling me he tried them all, Okura, Intercontinental etc. and although some had nicer features than Anthenee, what brought him back time and time again was the little things-- and the staff. He had not found a replacement for that-- which was the gest of my first review in 2011-- it is the Staff that make the difference. I hope as the hotel goes through its transformation that it remembers that and continues to emphasize that-- I will keep coming back to my Bangkok home.

A few things-- centrally located-- new mall with great theater about 10 minute walk.
Best massage 10 min walk-- The Touch-- see my review

I guess they had lots of Chinese guests in town because all 4 days the breakfasts more Chinese than usual and western not so much. Still got my morning omelet everyday. One day hotels are going to learn that bacon needs to be crisp.

Swimming pool area a little redone since my last visit. But still has that sewage smell odor waffling through the air occasionally. Also, no one this time to greet us, take orders or bring fresh chilled fruit like on my previous stays. A little sad, but maybe slow week.

26 floor in the evening of course is the place to relax after a day of work or sight seeing.

Join the club-- nice perks

Concierge service first rate as always. Have never steered me wrong.

Breakfast Breakfast Breakfast can't say anymore

So, give it a try-- even if you have YOUR favorite hotel. I think you will be surprised.

Room Tip: Get the rooms that come with breakfast and access to 26th floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Thor54,

Many thanks for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing such kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

It certainly is rewarding to receive such kind and detailed feedback from such a regular guest. We certainly do continue to focus on providing the highest service standards and your positive feedback certainly reinforces our team’s efforts, thank you. We endeavor to offer a wide variety of mouth-watering cuisines on our signature Le Méridien breakfast buffet in The Rain Tree Café and we are thrilled that you still appreciate it along with our exclusive Le Royal Club together with all its benefits and facilities. We will most definitely look into your feedback regarding the swimming pool, I can assure you that this does not reflect our normal service standards. We are currently in the process of remodeling our guestrooms and suites to ensure that our valued guests continue to receive the highest standard of facilities and we are confident that you will be thrilled with the finished product.

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback, it certainly has provided us with some invaluable insights. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon for another enjoyable stay in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

ChooLeng Goh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Excellent service from the staff. Everybody from registration desk, concierge, breakfast staff, and club lounge staff have given excellent and friendly service! Very clean and comfortable room too with great location close to skytrain.

1 Thank herusantoso
PlazaAtheneeBKK, General Manager at Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear herusantoso,

Thank you for staying with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Service is certainly one of our main focus areas in our hotel and your kind feedback is a true reflection of what we strive for, I will be sure to share your kind feedback with the team. Your kind comments on our guestrooms as well as our central location are truly appreciated.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and I hope that there will be another chance to welcome you back Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Harrisburg
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I spent 4 nights at this hotel and it was a great experience. The room is large and comfortable with hints of luxury. The breakfast is amazing and well worth the money. The location is also central, very close to a skytrain so easy to get around. There is a new mall opening right by the hotel so it will become quite a popular spot. The staffs are very friendly and attentive as well. I will definitely come back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank patravellover
Dear patravellover,

Many thanks for sharing your kind feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent experience with us at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Our associates strive to offer all our valued guests with friendly and attentive service and we are delighted that you appreciated their efforts. We are also glad that you found our hotel to be well located and that you felt our guestrooms to be large and comfortable with hints of luxury.

Once again thank you for your kind praise. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon for another enjoyable stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Whilst not as central as the Erawan or the Intercontinental, this hotel is close enough to the skytrain, Central Chidlom, Central Embassy and a Seven Eleven. The staff is good and the service very satisfactory. We caused a fair degree of confusion at check in between our smoking and non smoking rooms, but they were gracious and patient enough to accommodate all our confused requests.The rooms are comfortable. Breakfast at the coffee shop was good, and they took special care to serve us freshly cut fruit- lots of it, at the table itself. We had lunch here too, which was nice as well. This is a good SPG option for travelers headed to Bangkok, and I do see us coming back here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear AnjaliKhosla,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

We are located only 3 minutes walk from the Ploenchit BTS station and the newly opened luxury shopping mall called Central Embassy and we are delighted that you appreciated our central location. We are pleased that our associates where able to accommodate your preferences and that you found our guest rooms to be comfortable. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that we are in the process of undergoing a remodeling project of our guest rooms and suites and we are certain that you will be even more pleased with our new rooms.

Thank you once again for your recommendation and feedback. We are all looking forward to providing you with another excellent stay with us in the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel during your next visit to Bangkok.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed overnight earlier this week, the hotel is well placed for the Skytrain, the new Central Embassy Mall is within 10 minutes walking distance, they have a delightful coffee shop and the Glaz Bar has excellent live jazz music, the breakfast buffet offers an excellent selection of Asian and Western food, all the staff are polite and attentive

The rooms are luxurious, it is a little pricey, but you get what you pay for, definitely a place l will stay again when visiting Bangkok

Room Tip: Some floors have access to their own lounge, the hotel security is excellent
2 Thank Terry C
Dear Terry C,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

It certainly is rewarding to receive such kind feedback from a valued guest such as yourself. We are indeed centrally located with the Phloen Cit BTS station only minutes walk from the hotel along with the newly opened luxury shopping mall called Central Embassy. Our patisserie Quick stop offers a wide range of the freshest cakes and pastries and we are thrilled that you appreciated it together with The Glaz Bar. We are also pleased that you liked your guestroom and that you appreciated our levels of security. Guests that stay in our Le Royal Club receive a host of additional benefits and facilities including access into our exclusive Le Royal Club Lounge.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback, we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the near future.

Roskilde, Denmark
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Ready to leave Plaza Athenee after another three weeks at the hotel, and that is too long time at any hotel, but the peculiar thing is that I have not got tired of this place. A perfect mix of professional handling of all business matters and very considerate personal attention, not least in the Executive Lounge where the thoughtful staff constantly contribute to reducing the burden of long working days. If you suffer from food allergies you are treated with extra care, fantastic.
Compared to previous stays it is bit unfortunate that breakfast is for the time being not served in the Lounge, but this is after all a minor thing and you will find similarly excellent staff at the Rain Tree Cafe where breakfast is served - and nothing is missing there.
And don't forget to visit Reflexions, excellent in-house restaurant, very attentive staff again, and the most delicious food.

Room Tip: Personally I would always choose a room with Lounge access (perhaps because I am working full time w...
2 Thank bjornb7
Dear bjornb7,

Many thanks for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing your kind comments on TripAdvisor.

It is truly inspiring to know that throughout your stay with us, our associates have consistently provided you with the highest standard of service which helped you relax after a long day, I will be sure to share your feedback with the team to further reinforce their efforts. Our culinary team takes great pride in meeting all of our valued guest’s dietary requirements and I am thrilled that they were able to meet your needs. Our signature Le Méridien breakfast in The Rain Tree Café certainly does offer a wide variety of breakfast options and we are thrilled that you appreciated it. Our signature modern French Restaurant Reflexions showcases the finest French cuisine and Chef Daniel and the team will be delighted with your kind praises, thank you. Please be sure to try our newest promotion in the Reflexions, Gastro Bistro Sundays which offers guests a delicious selection of traditional French favorites along with free flow beverages for one very special price. Please visit our website for further information.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback. My team and I are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon for another enjoyable stay at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the past year and it gets better and better each time. I have always had a warm reception and received excellent service by the hotel staff. The rooms are modern and clean feeling with great, comfortable beds. I always know I'll get a good night's sleep there. I love the executive lounge, with its snacks and homey, living room vibe. There's areas for working, or sitting on the couch and chatting with friends or colleagues. The gym is a good size, with enough machines and mat space to do just about anything without being crowded. They even have an exercise room for classes. The pool is small, but nicely designed with vegetation around the edges and pockets of chairs for lounging. It's a pool more for dipping in rather than doing laps and it's rather shallow. They also have a little track for walking up there. My favorite part of the hotel is the breakfast. They have an amazing spread of asian, western and healthy breakfast options. I love sampling everything and drinking their fresh juices and coffee while I catch up with the newspaper they leave at my door. It's a real treat to start the day with a wonderfully prepared breakfast with all the fixings. The location is great too, with the dts right there and many restaurants and nightlife within walking distance. All in all, this hotel is a favorite in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Obviously the higher rooms have the better views in Bangkok, and access to the executive lounge is a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Adam2934875,

Thank you for your continued support of the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for sharing such detailed feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you appreciated so many areas of our hotel along with the excellent service from our associates. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team. Our exclusive Le Royal Club does indeed offer discerning travelers exceptional benefits and facilities and we are thrilled that you where happy with them. Our Chefs strive to showcase a wide variety of mouth-watering cuisines using only the freshest high quality ingredients on our signature Le Méridien Breakfast Buffet in The Rain Tree Café and we pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed it. The Phloen Chit BTS station is indeed only minutes walk from the hotel along with the newly opened luxury shopping mall called Central Embassy.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write this detailed review, it certainly has inspired us all and I hope that we all will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to your favorite hotel in Bangkok, the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.