“Great end to our honeymoon”

The Peninsula Bangkok
Ranked #11 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Upon arrival in the hotel's Rolls Royce car, we were greeted very warmly by the staff, and upgraded to a corner suite. The room was amazing, with lovely views over the river. It had all the modern gadgets you need and more...This was the first time we had stayed somewhere with electric curtains! We were provided with complimentary champagne and chocolates upon arrival which was a lovely touch.

We experienced an afternoon tea in the Foyer which was lovely. The only niggle was that the tea went cold quickly and we didn't get a top up (should have asked). The food was very nice but very filling, and the live music was wonderful. Breakfast was lovely too, with so much choice you can't help but stuff yourselves.

They have a handy boat service across the river to the Sky train. The pool didn't look huge, but seemed very popular. The spa was very nice and the staff were great.

We would definitely stay here again for a special occasion.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zoe_Rob

Reviewed 21 September 2011

I won't get into specifics because it has all been said before. If you stay here, you will absolutely love it. Everything is so damn nice. If you're trying to decide between Mandarin or Peninsula, I have to say the Peninsula had a more casual, yet still sophisticated feel. It also felt fresher. If you can, treat yourself and book a night or two in a Grand Deluxe Suite, pretty extraordinary. I was sad to leave this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The Peninsula culture is seen everywhere; from the doorman to reception to concierage to housekeeping: absolutely flawless.
Rooms are large with great view. A separate area in the guestroom for baggages is always a feature in The Peninsula.
Restaurant staff is courteous. I like the way tea is served, in a large silver pot. The staff at River Cafe and Terrace not only bring you your tea, they will pour the tea for you everytime. Breakfast Buffett is sumptuous with the best papaya and mangos. Unlike other hotels in Bangkok, there was not a mad rush to the Buffett table. The atmosphere is warm indoor with seamless service throughout. Thiptara, the Thai restaurant is highly recommended. It is relaxed. we had 2 meals there. The spa area is huge, it must be one of the largest we have seen. The overall experience is one that would have us back in no time.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Edmund L
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I was and still am a big fan of The Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok and up till now really had felt that it had no equal. Stepping into a sublime sanctuary which is the Peninsula has now given me a new favourite in Bangkok. Although I stayed only one night, it was certainly one of the most memorable nights that I have ever spent at a Hotel, and I certainly have plans to make the Peninsula a new stopover destination in the near future. Where do I begin; I highly recommend that you have the Peninsula private car service meet you at the Airport because in this way your experience of the whole hospitality of this great Hotel will start immediately. You will be whisked off in air conditioned comfort through Bangkok traffic which may on other occasions be bothersome. Certainly not on this drive, with such a courteous, friendly and excellent driver. On arrival at the Hotel I felt that they may have mistaken us for other guests or a celebrity because there was a staff greeting ceremony with floral garlands reminiscent of Hawaii. Check in was a breeze and done in the comfort of our suite, which was upgraded from our original booking. The suite was spectacular, beautiful river view, incredibly spacious and total luxury and comfort. There was free wifi in the bedroom and I believe in all common areas, and the pool area (with wifi) was beyond words. We had dinner at the Chinese Restaurant Mei Jiang, which was outstanding as was breakfast the following morning. It certainly sets a new standard in Hotel breakfasts. I really loved everything about this Hotel, the total package. All the staff are wonderful, and their room attendants stand out for a special mention. It seems that the Peninsula is too good to be true! Well it really is beyond words.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank anna00747
Reviewed 10 September 2011

For this business trip to Bangkok, I had the privelege to stay at The Peninsula Bangkok. Allow me to start off to say that this hotel has to be one of the best hotels this city can offer. Whether it be the dining selection in the hotel, the room itself or the service they provide; you can be assured that you will get what you pay for. The attention and care you receive from them is phenomenal.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank LAngeDeMort
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I stayed here on a business trip and I was blown away by this hotel as it's like a palace behind the river. The service was impeccable. The breakfast was unbelievable and it's one of the best I had in a hotel. If you love top of the line hotel, this is the one to stay at in Bangkok. I would recommoned this hotel to any distinguished traveler if you simply looking for the best when it comes to service, food and quality in every respect, The Peninsula Bangkok is definitely your choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Danster123
Reviewed 8 September 2011

My family and I came here for an extended weekend while visiting Singapore. The last time we were in Bangkok we stayed at the Oriental so we wanted to try something new. Our amazing experience began as soon as we were greeted at the airport and did not end until we were at our departure gate. We were picked up in a luxurious BMW 750 sedan. Despite the horrific Bangkok traffic we were comfortable and our driver was very friendly. In fact, we ended up hiring him to take us on a few tours of the city. He proved to be an excellent tour guide and seemed to know to avoid all the typical tourist traps. Though not as opulent as the Oriental, the hotel is sophisticated and beautiful. The service was flawless. They even had a cake brought up to my room for my birthday! My 6 yr old son was made to feel welcome here. The highlights: the infinity pool is one of the most beautiful pools I have ever swam in- overlooking the river. Thiptara restaurant is excellent, traditional Thai in a serene setting.
If you are trying to decide between the Oriental and Peninsula, I would say you can't go wrong with either. The Peninsula is newer and is a bit more low key, though still very luxurious. The service a both are comprable, but the pool at the Peninsula may be worth a stay there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family