The Peninsula Bangkok
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
4,809 results
All reviewsacross the riverbalcony roomgrand deluxe suitemei jiangfax machinethai restaurantwrong sideboat servicechao phraya rivershuttle boatbreakfast buffetriver viewmandarin orientalour honeymoonluxury hotelconcierge deskfour seasons
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed in Singapore 2day after go to Bangkok Peninsula Bangkok in the best! A couple of nights in room 3308 late last month recharged our batteries and reacquainted us with staff long known. The room was on the 29st floor with sweeping views over the river and Bangkok city. The staff Perfect ,the international restaurant which was very very good. This hotel is one of the best in the world. !

1  Thank nicolascozac
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed in Grand deluxe suite. The room is as good as it gets. The view from the room is fantastic. With the peculiar W shape buidling every room has river view. The service is impeccable. The concierge was very helpful in arranging a day tour on short notice. The icing on the cake is the spa. The spa is a world in itself and all four of us did the spirit of Peninsula treatment and ended up sleeping during the treatment! The hotel also has a Jim Thompson retail outlet in the building. The food at the Thai restaurant Thiptara was excellent. Over all, a very pleasant experience!

Room Tip: Use the Suite life promotion and pay for one night and stay the second night free. (It adds upto about USD 390/day and for this you get to stay in a grand deluxe suite for two nights in arguably the best hotel in Bangkok-the deluxe suite is slightly cheaper)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ajmba06
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Can't really fault the Peninsula Bangkok in any way. Perfect from start to finish from airport pick up, the room check in, the room was wonderful, food and bars were excellent. The concierge was wonderful - helped us plan sightseeing around Bangkok and had lots of recommendations.
If I'm ever in Bangkok again I will be staying at the Peninsula

1  Thank LondonTraveller43
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This review includes consideration of:

The Peninsula

The Sukhothai

Mandarin Oriental

Ariyasomvilla

Banyon Tree Bangkok

Shangri-La

There are a few general statements to begin:

- the river does NOT stink, and is an absolutely lovely, relaxing setting by which to relax, dine and stay. There is no question that I would chose this as an advantage over other hotels packed in an otherwise dense town, filled with luxury sitting next to poverty, and dirty general areas. Every hotel you visit, and it doesn't matter which one, will be affected by this juxtaposition of rich and poor, glittering clean and dirty.

- the BTS Skytrain is an advantage, however, the 3 prime river hotels, the Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula and Shangri-La are all a very short walk away. The Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental (Shangri-La is smack next door) offer a lovely, traditional Thai river shuttle which makes it a pleasure to go the the BTS station.

One disclaimer about my review, I am primarily writing about the appearance of the lobby and pool areas, as I only stayed in the rooms of the Peninsula and Sukhothai. I'll start with the others first.

Mandarin Oriental: nice hotel, but is a bit cramped and over decorated with what I feel is asian targeted decor and frilliness. when we went in the lobby was jammed with Asian guests, seemed primarily local Thai's, Japanese and Chinese. That's fine. Nothing wrong with Asian's, but I think the hotel appeal's more to their style/taste. I also found the decor a bit dated, as though this was the height of opulence in the 60's, 70's.

Shangri-La: Lobby is quite large, but again felt quite 60's, 70's. Many chandeliers which were of hotel ballrooms of that era, with long shards of crystal forming an upside down cone. Pool area was nice, though not that intimate.

Ariyasomvilla: Rated as the #1 hotel on trip advisor, but I think this is huuuuuugely misleading. This hotel is charming, but small, and is really targetted towards the more budget conscious traveler, with common areas which are relatively small and often open, which can be a bit uncomfortable during hotter times of the year. Don't get me wrong, very charming, but just can not offer the amenities and comfort of the others, but is often 50% cheaper.

Banyon Tree: Very nice, but an unusual wedge of a building, which makes the restaurants and common areas small compared to the others. Vertigo, on the top is breath-taking... so much so that my wife could not dine up there - on the 61st floor, open to the stars, with railing right on the edge of the building. On the upper floors, my guess is the building width is no more than 50 feet. If you love heights, you'll like this hotel. However, I do like heights and I still was not as wowed by it as the Peninsula. BUT... they do offer a wonderful selection of nice restaurants, and we ate at Saffron, which was delicious.

Sukhothai: This is nice, with absolutely lovely staff who were some of the most service oriented I met, but this has more of a feel of a boutique hotel, with more limited lobby and restaurant options. Also, the lobby areas (at least in the building where we stayed) are open to the outside, so you're immediately hit with heat and humidity, which isn't always great. Our room was quite nice, and the bed was amazing. BUT, you have to ensure you are NOT near the parking garage, as cars will get a free show of seeing you and your wife/girlfriend in various stages of undress. Unfortunately, we had a global Rotary Club convention going on in Bangkok which sucked up a huge amount of the rooms in better hotels all over he city. But I was a bit frustrated, as we were on the Amex Centurion Fine Hotels & Resorts program which gets an upgrade if available, and sometimes when you reserve. I've almost always been upgraded, but did not. I recognise that I shouldn't have attitude about it. I guess I just felt that I shouldn't have been treated as a 2nd class citizen and shoved in no-upgrade room next to the parking garage offering a free show to the drivers.

The Peninsula: spectacular in every way. Service, amenities, grounds... lobby areas and pool were just the right balance of opulence and luxury, without being overtly frilly. All staff were wonderful, and our room (Grand Deluxe King) was wonderfully laid out, comfortable, with great views of the river. In my view, if you're western with an appreciation of elegance, comfort, amenities and position, there is no hotel that is close to the Peninsula.

Room Tip: Upper floors, I think all have river views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RobinUKUSA
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Have never been anywhere as beautiful as the Peninsula. Service was amazing, nothing was too much trouble. The room (Grand Deluxe) was beautiful, nothing at all to complain about. Fantastic views over the river and Bangkok. The bathroom was a highlight, especially the huge bathtub with a television in the wall. Housekeeping was great, all clothes folded or hung up and they even arranged my makeup! Buffet breakfast was lovely, especially nice to sit out and look over the river. Great selection of food and again, fantastic service. The pool was lovely, in the heat was great to have an endless supply of ice cold water brought to us! Location was ok, only 100baht by hotel Taxi to MBK shopping centre, and the boats going over the river were great, very pretty at nighttime. Overall fantastic stay, really was the highlight of Bangkok for us. Will definitely return!