“Sublime experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
San Francisco, California
“Sublime experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

In all the world, The Peninsula stands above all hotels, in consistent quality, service, elegance driven by a relentless desire to anticipate, exceed expectations. In Bangkok, the pinnacle is exemplified by thoughtful, talented & skillfully trained staff & management that delights. Stunning location on the River, water taxi to get to your in-town shopping, marvelous, savory global, food choices only add to the luxurious accomodations.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

We moved here from the Mandarin Oriental over the river. What a difference. This hotel is a true Peninsula, beautifully decorated, professionally run, quiet sophistication.

We had been to see it the day before because we wanted to move and were shown a suite for the same price as our Deluxe room at the Mandarin. What a suite we got. Four windows with views. A desk area, a living room area with a table for eating if you wanted to. A top of the range stereo and TV in the living room. A large bedroom with another stereo and TV. Large walk in cupboard, a huge marble bathroom with separate shower and even a television in the bathroom. There was also a separate "guest" toilet.

Every area of the hotel is tastefully decorated and comfortable and peaceful. The swimming pool is beautiful and the service there excellent. The breakfast buffet is one of the best with a super variety and loads of fresh fruit (yummy mangoes).

We used the excellent hotel limousine service to take us most places - the Grand Palace, the temples, out for dinner in the evening and our driver was extremely helpful in every way. We requested the same driver for our outings.

Sadly the restaurants were not up to scratch. The Chinese restaurant lacks ambience and the food is not what it should be in a Peninsula Hotel. The Thai restaurant is very casual and the service and food very disappointing.

The location of the hotel is more or less in the middle of nothing, although the views on the river and the hotel shuttle boat are a big plus. We decided, after five days, to move into the center of town.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

17 years ago my husband ran the fit out at the Peninsula so when we decided to visit Bangkok this year it seemed right that we spoil ourselves at the Peninsula.

We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a deluxe suite (without asking – we didn’t actually tell management that he had worked at the hotel) – perhaps a long term mistake as I loved it so much I wanted to barricade myself in the room and never ever leave.
Perhaps my favourite part was the little boat that takes one from the hotel to the other side of the river.
What separates this hotel from others is not only price and amenity, but the staff. They were always polite, keen to help and thoughtful. No staff member is ever on their mobile phone or chewing gum or disinclined to help.
Breakfast was a banquet – steamed eggs with chives and the peach smoothie were my favourite.
I used the gym every day and it was like an elegant spa.
On the first night my husband requested some ice and from then on every evening our ice bucket was replenished without asking for it. His shoes were cleaned and our discarded clothes folded.
Upon arrival we were shown our room and checked in whilst the concierge was in our room – delightful not to wait about at a desk!
We also decided to use the transfer service to and from the airport. I thought we didn’t need this. But.
But when we left Bangkok for Hanoi a man from the Peninsula met us at the airport and helped us through check in and it was so luxurious not to have to think about which counter to go to, which escalator to take and which queue to join. He also helped us with claiming the VAT back on our (my) purchases.
I don’t like airports; the waiting, the navigating, the changing of gates, the walking, the endless passport and security checks, but having our man from the Peninsula help us made it almost enjoyable!
I’m already planning my next Peninsula trip – Paris? New York? But Bangkok will always be my first!
Thank you to all the staff at the Peninsula Bangkok for looking after us so well, we felt relaxed, rested and ready to climb the hills of northern Vietnam after our stay at your establishment.

Room Tip: The higher floors have a lovely view of the river
1 Thank CateHodder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

I swear by trip advisor and always book hotels and restuarants in there top 5 !! Once again it never let us down, last year we began are vacation in the new and contemporary hansar hotel.. This year we decided to try the peninsula also suggested by a close friend to and the Ta rating..

Wow what a hotel, what a room and location . My friend said to take a balcony room with river view. Rooms 30 and higher, they are expensive about 250 a night but it was a perfect start to a month vacation. With views looking over Bangkok and the river, and service that's untouchable u get why they ask so much for there services..!!

We spent 2 lovely nights here after a long flight from uk and recharged our batteries before travelling on . Would definitely use hotel again, because it would be very difficult to find or get better.. We love a five star treat once or twice a year , and this hotel is defiantly one of the finest hotels we have been to. Maybe THE best .. A guest there used the oriental across the river a few times. But said since trying the peninsula he wouldn't go anywhere else .. Think that sums this place up

Darren and Katie
Leicester
Uk

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Thegilstonlove
bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

The hotel check in procedures not good, no one led me to my room. I stay at Deluxe King room ,our room has a river view that incredible! The buffet breakfast at the river terrace is one of the best and Thai restaurant near the river is lovely.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank chokdeebangkok
Vancouver, British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

At the end of Thailand tour, we stayed at the Peninsula Bangkok for one night. I know the Peninsula hotel group is regarded as the best of best in the industry, so I had really high expectations of the stay. It turned out to be a stay in a paradise by the river from the beginning.

From the group check-in served with ice cold towel and ginger flavored iced tea (they were so soothing in the torching hot day) to the best river view room (the first sight we mistaken it for a corner suite) with Shangri-La and Mandarin Oriental right across, to the best breakfast I ever had at a five-star hotel, and there are many more to be named.

Although the complimentary shuttle boat only crossed the river to the Peninsular Pier next to the Shangri-La Hotel, the pier attendant called another complimentary shuttle boat provided by the River City shopping center and dropped us there, which next to the Sheraton Royal Orchid. The shuttle boat runs back and forth every 30 minutes. It was such a joy trip on the busy Chao Phraya with all sorts of boats and cruises passing by, and best of all there was no traffic jams seen anywhere in Bangkok. The hotel definitely has an old-world flair (all room keys were metal!). I only spent one day in paradise, nevertheless it was eternal to me.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

I recently stayed just shy of a week at the Peninsula in Bangkok, and it was a wonderful stay. Things were not perfect, but they were not far off.

First the good, and there is quite a bit to say about the Peninsula that is good.

I had a grand balcony room (upgraded from a balconey room because the hotel had over booked the balcony rooms. My understanding is that the "grand" rooms are on the upper floors. In any event, the views have to be spectacular for any room facing the river. Mine certainly was, and the room itself felt like a small apartment. The only thing missing was a kitchen. There was a king size bed, a large and well furnished seating area, large flat screen TV, a walk in closet/changing room and one of the largest bathrooms I have ever seen in an hotel. The only hotel room I have ever stayed in that comes close to the luxury at the Peninsula Bangkok would be a room I had many years ago at the Spindrift Inn in Monterrey. A review of the room layouts on the Peninsula website suggests that all the rooms are similarly generous.

The breakfast buffet at the River Cafe is one of the best I have ever experienced. In addition to being able to have breakfast on a terrace overlooking the river, the variety and quality of food ranks with the best breakfast buffets I can think of (these would include the Kirchbuhl in Grindelwald and the New Otani in Tokyo).

Where the Peninsula slips a bit from outstanding to merely very good come in terms of location and service.

As the hotel is on the west side of the river, there is very little to offer in its immediate vicinity in the way of shops or restaurants. The Peninsula compensates for this quite well by having frequent dedicated river shuttles to the other side. The downside is that the shuttles do not go very far up or down river, so if you are trying to get to, say, anything in the vicinity of the Grand Palace, your best bet may be to cross the river to the Shangri-La and then take a taxi.

The service at the hotel is very good, but lacking in a few minor ways. One thing I liked right at check in is the individual who checked me in, also led me to my room. It is a nice touch that I have seen at a few other top Asian Hotels (ex, the Four Seasons-Shanghai and the Madarin Oriental-Singapore). On the other hand, they just seem to be a little off in other ways. Many of the waiters in the River Cafe have a habit of looking the other way when you want your coffee refilled. A bigger issue is that the concierge personnel could use some English lessons. I may be a bit spoiled by the fact that most staff at major hotels around the world are quite fluent in English. The individuals manning the concierge desk at the Peninsula all understood English well enough to respond to my requests, but the requests had to be very precisely worded. They also did not seem particularly good at making recommendations.

All things considered, the Peninsula Bangkok is a very good hotel, just not quite great, although one suspects they will get there.

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay for a luxury hotel, go all out and get a room on the river side (i.e not a...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles