The Peninsula Bangkok
US$268
US$241
Okura Hotels
4,814 results
All reviewsacross the riverbalcony roomgrand deluxe suitemei jiangfax machinethai restaurantwrong sideboat servicechao phraya rivershuttle boatbreakfast buffetriver viewmandarin orientalour honeymoonluxury hotelconcierge deskfour seasons
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 February 2014

While the overall stay was nice, rooms comfortable and pool area great if it was a budget hotel I would give it 'good', however you expect more from a Peninsula.

Hotel staff were in general polite, but the concierge were quite unfriendly, possibly because we are a young couple and they felt we don't have a right to be there. Some staff struggled to communicate in English, but in general OK. Room service took an eternity whenever we ordered something - they would tell us 20 minutes and it would finally arrive after an hour, making us miss half the morning. This sounds petty, but if you went to a Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton etc. you would have everything you want in your room - basic things like a selection of good tea. You have to request tea from room service (which took half an hour) and they eventually bring you Lipton Yellow Label, which you would expect in a youth hostel or an office. Then if you ask for more of a range they try to charge you for more budget brands.

Whilst the classic style and furniture was good, some of it certainly wasn't classic, just old and tired. Felt like it hadn't had any attention since the 90's. They have things like a massive 14 inch TV in the bath behind a screen which was probably impressive 20 years ago, but less so now.

If you are planning on only staying in the hotel and not venturing out, this is not a bad option - however, you have a choice of 2 restaurants and one of them had no space for us on the first night. The surrounding area is not so nice and the hotel is on the wrong side of the river. Good for views but Mandarin Oriental and Shangri-La are better located with good restaurants and better service.

I did raise my concern with the hotel. They thanked me for the bits that exceeded my expectations (not sure what those were, but I was being polite at that stage) and said they were concerned about the negatives. They said if I stay again, they will upgrade me... Then they said that I hadn't paid for something from the minibar and that if I didn't authorise payment within 2 days they would impose a fine.

The lapses in service and their approach to dealing with customers who raise concerns were what prompted me to write a more negative review. Some of the issues are easily fixable with the exception of the location and I assume this is one of the lesser hotels in their group that they intend on upgrading.

4  Thank 858Someone
Peninsula_BK, General Manager at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear 858Someone,

As mentioned in our previous correspondence, we truly appreciate your comments. We regret to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations. We thank you for the feedback because they are the key to our improvements.

There are currently a number of enhancement programmes going on in the hotel and we truly apologise for inconvenience . We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and share these enhancements with you.

Katja Henke

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Just one night this time, but seamless as usual. From airport pick up to drop off, it just happens. Lunches excellent on the terrace by the river and evening meal in the Thai Restaurant sitting by the river, all very good with excellent service. Rooms very good but not up to the Pen in Hong Kong, but I assume the will get the same soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Peninsula_BK, Hotel Manager at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Wardy-GB,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us from your visit last February. I will be sure to share your kind compliments with the rest of our team regarding the seamless service you received during your stay. I assume that you've had the chance to see the fabulous new in-room amenities at our flagship hotel, The Peninsula Hong Kong. We are happy to share with you that our hotel will undergo a guest room enhancement programme to give the hotel a fresh, new look while maintaining its timeless Thai-inspired design. We hope that we will have the opportunity to show this to you during your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

If you tell me it gets better elsewhere, call me skeptical. The room itself could serve as a useful archetype for all a five star room should ideally possess. What really sets it apart are the finishes and the attention to detail. From the abundance of high quality bathroom products to the unexpected extras---who else gives you two different sets of bathrobes?---it's hard to identify anything they could improve upon. And although the price is high by Bangkok standards, by international standards The Peninsula Bangkok is an astonishing bargain. The breakfast buffet was outstanding, the WiFi signal robust and reliable, the service impeccable, the location quite good, the water shuttle service frequent and stylish, and I suppose I could gush on for longer but you get the point. In the interest of not seeming like a totally infatuated shill for The Peninsula, I will mention that the restaurant prices are quite high, but is there really a reason to expect otherwise? Besides, part of the Bangkok experience involves going out for dinner, and as fabulous as The Peninsula is, shouldn't you leave the hotel at some point to enjoy other things the city has to offer, like fine dining? Sometimes when I have a great hotel experience in a city, I decide to try another great hotel the next time I visit simply to broaden my exposure. If or when I return to Bangkok, I won't give serious thought to the odd notion of staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Corner suites, which they call junior, are anything but. If you can swing it, you may find it the nicest suite you have ever had the pleasure to experience.
1  Thank Dan N
Peninsula_BK, Hotel Manager at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Evelyn,

Greetings from Bangkok. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, from the river view in your balcony room to your time spent relaxing by The Pool and dining at River Cafe & Terrace. You get the best of both worlds at The Peninsula Bangkok, with our proximity and access (avoid the traffic with our Peninsula Boat and the BTS skytrain station) to the city centre while being located on the shores of the Chao Praya River.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I love the Pen in New York and staying here was a no brainer! The location, rooms, service and everything was awesome ... you can't go wrong. Much better than the Mandarin Oriental opposite - unless you want over the top cheese!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Peninsula_BK, Hotel Manager at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Demanding,

We appreciate your kind compliments regarding your visit in January - it sounds like you enjoyed your time with us and we will look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula Bangkok in the near future!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in January 2014. we loved this hotel and would definatley stay here again. The staff were so polite and kind, and the food was great. I have never seen such a good selection at breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Peninsula_BK, Assistant Food and Beverage Manager at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Rachel,

Warmest greetings from sunny Bangkok! Thank you for your kind comment.
We are greatly pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and have taken note of your positive comments regarding our breakfast offers as well as our staff’s attitude. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Marco Schuchter