“Perfection”

The Peninsula Bangkok
Ranked #11 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We're back at Peninsula Bangkok after not using Thailand as a stopover for a few years. How I've missed this place.
Peninsula BK is not the newest hotel in town, nor the most modern decor, but it has a wealth of experience to give us the best guest experience around.
From their seamless greeting at the airport (if you use their car service - highly recommended) to the welcome at the hotel door, you immediately know you're in good hands.
When our car drove up the long driveway of the hotel, flanked by flowering orchid plants, we knew we'd left the hustle & bustle of Bangkok at the main road & were a bout to step into a place of rest & relaxation. Our car door was swung open by the (Swiss) assistant manager & check in was done in our room - a lovely touch.
We were upgraded to a balcony room overlooking the river. Spend a few minutes on the balcony to experience the cacaphony of Bangkok & the 35C heat, then retreat to your room to appreciate just how well the airconditioning works & how well sealed the sound proof glass is.
The rooms are large with massive bathrooms, dressing room areas and one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on.
My only small gripe is the wait for the breakfast buffett downstairs, close to 30 minutes. On other trips the lobby restaurant has had a small, well edited version of the main buffet available and that has also been included in our room tarif. This time it was only a la carte & we were told it was not included in our room rate. Nonetheless, the choice at the indoor/outdoor buffet was extensive and beautifully presented. Don't miss the tropical fruits, eggs to order, pastries, pots of real loose leaf tea, & remember take an extra scoop of the papaya & lime jam.
In short 24 hours here is the most perfect stopover in a long haul flight from Australia. We'll be back on our way home, & we can't wait.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Peninsula_BK, Resident Manager at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Foodiespy99,

Thank you for your kind feedback and detailed account of your stay. It is always a pleasure to read reviews such as yours that underline certain services and touches that we pride ourselves in.

Regarding the waiting time for a table during breakfast, we do understand that at times, there can be a short line at the River Café & Terrace Restaurant, especially for the air-conditioned section. To prevent such occurrences during high-occupancy days, we do open a second breakfast location to ensure that waiting time for our guests is kept to a minimum.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next stop over or hopefully even for a vacation here in Bangkok.

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,568)

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is not one of those gushing "wow" "great" "fabulous" reviews.
This is for the simple reason that my recent stay at the Peninsula was anything but. In fact, it was a massive disappointment and certainly, not on par with the high quality of service I have experienced and come to expect, based on my previous stays.
I visit Bangkok at least 3 times every year and, whenever possible, opt to stay at the Peninsula. It has always been my first choice, for the past 10 years. I like its location. I love the fact I have to take a boat to go to the Skytrain station and back. I adore having breakfast by the river. And dinner at its Thai restaurant.
It started when I arrived at the reception. In the past, all the details would have already been filled in, considering the amount of times I have stayed there. But, not this time. The girl, at the reception, simply had no clue, despite my explanations. Further, she seemed to have a real difficulty understanding what I was saying. Of course, all her "colleagues" were then seemingly very busy, although I was the only guest arriving at the time. No one offered to help. Anyway, I filled in the form, gave my passport to be copied etc, my credit card and asked for my room key. Again, there was a problem. She told me that the room was not ready, this was despite the fact it was then after 5pm.
I said I had booked a grand deluxe suite, had forwarded my flight number, had paid up front, was tired and I was not accepting this. She then stared at the computer monitor in front of her and started typing frantically. This went for quite some time. I stood there keeping my anger under control, with her "colleagues" doing all they could to avoid eye contact with me.
Finally, she found a available room. But, without any words of apology or regret, she handed me the keys. It appeared as if an act of charity.
I entered the room. Almost immediately, I saw a milky white stain on the carpet near the table, next to the sofa. It was very noticeable and big. I did not know what it was. Nor did I want to know.
But the view was great and I felt good being back at the Peninsula. Everything was familiar. I then made the first of my many "mistakes" thinking that what had occurred at the reception was a one off.
I called room service for 2 mugs, as I wanted to have a "cuppa". I had brought my own very strong tea bags as I usually do, as I had found the tea served by the hotel to be weak and with no flavour. I may add that the cups in the room are miniature cups suitable for green tea and the like. In the past, I always had brought my own mugs. However, room service had no clue what mugs were. I tried explaining but to no avail. An attendant turned up at the room with ordinary cups. No, I said, mugs. He made 3 further trips to the room until I gave in and accepted the offered cups. They were better than the miniature cups.
On this visit, I noticed properly that the bathrooms needed total renovation. What may have been accepted in the past was now decidedly outdated. I mean that small tv next to the bathtub may have been an innovation then but was now so blasé. The shower too. Big time. The shower
I thought I would put all this behind me with a good dinner at the Thai restaurant.
I should here add that I do not have a tongue and stomach made of stainless steel. I cannot take hot Thai Chilli food but that has never prevented the chefs at the Thai restaurant from making delicious Thai food for me, once I had made known my restrictions on ordering. But not this time. The prawn cakes were dripping in oil. The chicken in pandanus leaf was so dry and tasteless that I returned it. Clearly, it had been reheated. The main dish of prawns in green curry was something else. It was fiery. When I told the captain about this, he immediately apologized and took away the dish. When returned, it was clear what had happened. To mask the chili, the dish had been diluted with large amounts of coconut milk, which had then totally destroyed the flavour of the dish. The only dish I enjoyed that night was the dessert: mango sticky rice. But then, I could have bought the same dish for one sixth the price almost anywhere.
The rest of the night did not fare any better. In the middle of the night, I woke up sweating, as the internal air conditioning in the room could not cope with the power demands made. I called the reception immediately but nothing was ever done to correct it.
Breakfast was well, breakfast . It was clear that the quality and variety (the Peninsula never had the quantity, unlike the Shangrila) of the foods had taken a big drop. The fresh fruits on offer were very limited, and the quality questionable. Whereas previously, they had offered a variety of nuts such as pistachios, this was gone totally. Having take one bite of the smoked salmon, I had put it to one side. At every breakfast, I had to return my eggs because they were not cooked properly the first time. Also, the chefs do not use fresh eggs when making a white egg omelette. The Indian food on offer at breakfast was greasy and a joke. But, if you are willing to make do with toast and tea, breakfast is still great, as the river view remains the chief attraction.
Having returned to the room on the evening of the second day, I noticed the milky white stain on the carpet had not been removed and the room had not been properly cleaned. In that, the empty packets of chips had not been removed from the waste bin and nor had the crumbs which had fallen on the carpet. The hard fought for cups had been taken away. The towels in the bathroom had not been refeshed.
This state of affairs continued on the evening of the third day, when I could not take it any further and went to the front desk and demanded to speak to the manager.
Of course (I was not expecting any thing else) he was busy, as was the deputy manager and the head of room cleaning. I complained of the lack of cleanliness to one of the staff at the main desk, as well as (again) the air conditioning not working well in the middle of the night. After that, the room was cleaned well and the awful stain removed but I continued to have problems with the lack of proper air conditioning, and woke up sweating in the middle of the night.
On checking out, I had expected either a personal or written apology from the management, but none was forthcoming. It would not have cost anything. They appeared to have taken a very cavalier attitude, which seemed to say that, if I did not like it, don't come again.
This, to me, was a game changer. To treat a returning guest in this way, in fact any guest, is inexcusable and above all, disrespectful.
The Peninsula needs to be reminded it is not running a charity, where one has to bow down and be grateful for services provided. It charges, and that, very highly, for the services it is supposed to provide. And, to then adopt such a cynical and indifferent attitude is insulting.
The management should be reminded that they stay in business because of the patronage of their guests and not by some God given right.
And the sooner they understand this and return to the fundamental principles which made a stay at the Peninsula so exciting, the better. I mean, there are other newer and better hotels or haven't they heard?

This is not one of those gushing "wow" "great" "fabulous" reviews.
I visit Bangkok at least 3 times every year and, whenever possible, opt to stay at the Peninsula. It has always been my first choice. This has been for the past 10 years. I like its location. I love the fact I have to take a boat to go to the Skytrain station and back. I adore having breakfast by the river. And dinner at its Thai restaurant. But, it was soon clear to me on this visit that the high standards, which had been impeccably maintained for many years, have now slipped and the malaise is everywhere.
It started when I arrived at the reception. In the past, all the details would have already been filled in, considering the amount of times I have stayed there. But, not this time. The girl, at the reception, simply had no clue, despite my many explanations. Further, she seemed to have a real difficulty understanding what I was saying. Of course, all her "colleagues" were seemingly very busy, although I was the only guest arriving at the time. No one offered to help. Anyway, I filled the form, gave my passport to be copied etc, my credit card and asked for my room key. Again, there was a problem. She told me that the room was not ready, this was despite the fact it was then after 5pm.
I said I had booked a grand deluxe suite, had forwarded my flight number, had paid up front, was tired and I was not accepting this. She then stared at the computer monitor in front of her and started typing frantically. This went for quite some time. I stood there keeping my emotions under control, with her "colleagues" doing all they could to avoid eye contact with me.
Finally, she found a available room. And, without any apologies or regret, she handed me the keys. It appeared as if an act of charity.
On this visit, I noticed properly that the bathrooms needed total renovation. What may have been accepted in the past was now decidedly outdated. I mean that small tv next to the bathtub may have been an innovation then but was now so blasé. The shower too. Big time. Those showers should have been replaced years ago and further, the toiletries provided needed serious review. Overall, the bathroom, though big, was, for want of better words, old and depressing. Clearly, on a renovation, the color scheme has to be changed. I mean, the green has to go!!
I should here add that I do not have a tongue and stomach made of stainless steel. I cannot take hot Thai Chilli food but that has never prevented the chefs at the Thai restaurant from making delicious Thai food for me, once I had made known my restrictions on ordering. But not this time. The chicken in pandanus leaf was so dry and tasteless that I returned it. Clearly, it had been reheated. The main dish of prawns in green curry was something else. It was fiery. When I told the captain about this, he immediately apologized and took away the dish. When returned, it was clear what had happened. To mask the chili, the dish had been diluted with large amounts of coconut milk, which had then totally destroyed the flavour of the dish. The only dish I enjoyed that night was the dessert: mango sticky rice. But then, I could have bought the same dish for one sixth the price almost everywhere downtown.
The rest of the night did not fare any better. In the middle of the night, I woke up sweating, as the internal air conditing in the room clearly could not cope with the power demands made. I called the reception immediately but nothing was ever done to correct it.
Of course (I was not expecting any thing else) he was busy, as was the deputy manager and the head of room cleaning. I complained of the lack of cleanliness to one of the staff at the main desk, as well as (again) the air conditioning not working well in the middle of the night. After that, the room was cleaned and the awful stain removed but I continued to have problems with the lack of proper air conditining, and woke up sweating in the middle of the night.
The Peninsula needs to be reminded it is not running a charity, where one has to bow down and be grateful for services provided. It charges, and that, very highly, for the services it is supposed to provide. And, to then adopt such a casual and indifferent attitude is insulting.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
25  Thank 26,281,818
Reviewed 27 June 2014

What a great hotel

We landed in Bangkok at 9am after an overnight flight. Arrived at hotel about 10:30. We were checked right in and taken to our room. This might have been because of a reduction in tourism following the military coup but it was a lovely touch.

Fresh fruit in the room which was replenished daily. The room was very comfortable, 100% clean with nice amenities.

Very nice breakfast buffet with lots of variety and a good range of cooked-to-order food.

Poolside is a joy. Staff keep you topped up with iced water and occassional treats of fruit or ice-cream. The poolside salas are great - they even have power outlets to keep your phone/ipad etc topped up.

We ate dinner in the Chinese restaurant. Very good but a little expensive.

Using the hotel's boats to get across to the joint Skytrain/riverboat station was straightforward. if you sre staying out late remember to check on the time of the last hotel boat back. We missed it and had to go the long way round by tuktuk and got back only just before the current curfew.

Cannot recommend this highly enough for a touch of luxury

Room Tip: I'm not convinced that the price of higher floor rooms is good value. The bangkok skyline is no...
1  Thank DaveFaull
Peninsula_BK, Director of Rooms at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear David F,

Whilst it is nice to be sitting in the relaxing environment of the pool, there is nothing worse than the battery going flat as you are half way through your reading…..! There are not many Guests that comment on these small things so it is great to hear that you have noticed the power outlets and the other small touches we try to provide.

Thank you for staying with us at this time, your support is appreciated, as are your great comments. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Shane Jolly
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The hotel is beautiful in an executive way (opposed to romantic or family oriented). The service was great and the food was excellent. This is the perfect place to stay if you're visiting for work. If you are visiting form far away and expect something more exotic, you should definitely stay at the Mandarin Oriental.
Location is excellent and if you need to go somewhere across the river, the water shuttle (free) is very convenient, fast and reliable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jilocam,

Thank you for your feedback and observations. We pride ourselves in being a true urban resort that includes features such as a 90-metre three-tiered pool as well as an award-winning Spa, while providing facilities and services ideal to those travelling to Bangkok for business.

We do hope to welcome you back on your next leisure and/or business trip to Thailand.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you ever want to treat yourself to a bit of luxury coupled with a great service with a smile, then treat yourself to stay at the Peninsula Hotel.
Quality, quality, quality in every aspect of the word, from the people to the decor, to the service, to the rooms, I love this hotel. If you can afford it, go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pick any room, it will not disappoint

Dear Steve H,

We appreciate your kind feedback and comments about The Peninsula Bangkok. We are delighted that you, like many other returning guests, have recognised the great quality of our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here 1 and 1/2 nights (leaving at 3 AM was sad) for the last leg of our honeymoon, and wish we had stayed longer! It is a beautiful resort, and was the perfect end to our trip. The service is top-notch, and we enjoyed our roundtrip airport transfer with our driver Zee. He was great!

We upgraded our room to a Deluxe Suite which was totally worth it. With a spacious living room area and 1 1/2 bathrooms, it was a nice use of space. The rooms remind me of Vegas with the electronically controlled curtains, TV, music and air conditioning. The bed was comfortable and the shower and Oscar de la Renta bathroom amenities were great! The dressing area and closet was also a nice addition to the room.

We ate lunch at the Mei Jiang chinese restaurant and regret we didn't eat there for dinner too! It was the best Chinese food we have ever had, and we have eaten around the world including Taiwan, China, Korea, and Japan. The peking duck there was the best we have ever had.We also got the beef tenderloin with garlic in black pepper sauce which was exquisite as well. Sweet, spicy and rich. So decadent and delicious! And, I loved the cute little dishes that were specially designed for the hotel, I wanted to buy them! They also had xiaolongbao which was really good! We ate at Din Tai Fung while in town, one of my favorite spots, and the soup dumplings here were like their classier cousin.

The pool area was beautiful and the whole resort was pretty much empty which was nice for us. The only thing is that the pool kind of smelled sometimes, I think from the river/trash. But, the view was wonderful and pool was relaxing. The pool cabanas are cute, though I was not sure if they were free for anyone to use.

Overall, wonderful service, beautiful resort, tasty food options, great views, and comfortable rooms. Definitely stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and a river view. The suites are huge!

Dear Larissa F.,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us such a detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are honoured that you chose The Peninsula Bangkok to be a part of your honeymoon, we are glad that we are able to offer such a memorable experience.

Being a Hong Kong-based company, we pride ourselves in our Chinese restaurant, Mei Jiang, and are very happy to get such rave reviews about it.

The smell from the Chao Praya River and the nearby Klongs is indeed a challenge that we have to deal with, especially on certain days of the year. However, our Engineering Department has gone to great lengths to come up with a series of preventive measures to mitigate it as much as possible.

We will be sure to pass your compliments to Zee, the driver, and the rest of the staff who provided you with a warm service. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future, possibly to celebrate your anniversary next time.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We arrived here late at night and were greeted so warmly you would have thought they were dear friends who had waited up in anticipation of our arrival. That experience set the tone for our entire visit. We made our way around Bangkok mostly on foot so at the end of the day were we absolutely wiped out from the noise, heat, humidity and exhaust fumes so to arrive back at the Peninsula was like returning to a glorious oasis...a calm, peaceful atmosphere. It isn't the most centrally located but we made it work with water taxis etc. don't miss the breakfast! The perfect start to a crazy day of wandering around Bangkok! Delicious!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple