“Elegance at its best!”

The Peninsula Bangkok
Ranked #10 of 896 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I was slightly concerned at booking this hotel because of its location on the opposite side of the river where I would normally stay, but I am so delighted that I made this visit to the Peninsula. Actually its position makes it perfect for a quiet escape from the noisy and chaotic parts of the city. Additionally the hotel, whilst being grand and quite traditional, does also have a resort feel about it, since its spa, pools and riverside location offered so many areas for true relaxation and pampering. Check-in was flawless and I was swiftly taken to my 30th floor grand deluxe room, which was highly spacious and comfortable. Housekeeping was fantastic throughout my 6 day stay. Service at the pools was first class and always appreciated: cold drinks served immediately on arrival, free ice creams served and lovely lunches to be enjoyed too. The salas provided great space for lazing and reading. I enjoyed room service meals...beautifully presented and ably served. The Thai restaurant is a great setting for an evening meal and again service so friendly and helpful. Staff at the Riverside Cafe were so kind to me each morning at breakfast and quickly learnt my favourite items and had them ready to serve! Concierge services were very good. Two disappointments (minor)...terrible service at the Business Centre (how antiquated) and on one occasion I was badly dealt with by one of the front door staff who seemed too busy chatting to open my taxi door!
All in all this is a wonderful hotel and during this rainy season there are many good deals to be had! I will certainly return soon!

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Peninsula_BK, Director of Rooms at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear JimDKL,

It is great you had the chance to spend than a few nights relaxing at our "resort in the city". Looking back on the city from our side of the river affords wonderful views, a more relaxed atmosphere while only being a 5 minute boat ride away from one of the liveliest cities in the world.

Sorry to hear there were a few lapses in service, we will work to improve these and do apreciate your feedback.

Hopefully we can welcome you back when you are next looking to relax in the city!

Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (4,696)

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights as the start of our honeymoon we was meet at the airport by there chauffeur in there rolls Royce and taken to the hotel the staff where fantastic from the start with a champagne breakfast to there turn down service nothing is to much trouble would definitely staff here again and would recommend it to anyone you must stay here even one night

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Kalajayne

Dear Kalajayne,

We are very happy that you chose to start your honeymoon with us and gave us the chance to make it memorable moment. Hopefully in the coming years we can see you back again to celebrate many anniversaries.

Congratulations again!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights last week in 2 grand deluxe rooms which were very spacious. One a corner king and the other a twin for the 2 teenagers. When used together you are able to use a small antechamber and create a suite. Fabulous views over the river which offers a wonderful viewing of life in Bangkok. Spacious bathroom and big bath.
The service is excellent. We utilised the concierge services repeatedly and were impressed with every dealing.
Lovely 3 tiered pool surrounded by tropical gardens, upper pool a quiet area near the Spa centre, the lower pool allows river watching. I had tea by the pool in a silver pot, felt very spoilt.
We had a great lunch in the River Cafe on arrival and enjoyed the variety of western and Asian buffet breakfast.
We did the hotel arranged floating market tour, and despite being designated family compulsory and an early start, the boy teen announced it was great post.
Great location. Loved catching the boat across the river from their pier back and forth. Takes minutes to glide upstream to the bridge and connect with the sky train.
Wifi was fast and unlimited devices.
Would always stay near river if I could as gets away from the shopping and allows endless river watching which is fascinating.
Like an oasis, no glitz just serene elegance

Room Tip: The higher rooms have more expansive views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Peninsula_BK, Resident Manager at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Jennifer95_11,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and your fellow travellers a feedback on your recent stay at The Peninsula Bangkok. Our location alongside the river makes the hotel an urban oasis in Bangkok.

The rooms that you have stayed in are indeed ideal for families as they are interconnected, but at the same time, still offer a certain level of privacy and separation because of their layout.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to The Peninsula Bangkok.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Having read pages and pages of glowing reviews, as well as the fact that this hotel is constantly ranked in the top hotels in a travel magazine that I subscribe to, we decided to splurge and try it out. Based on my research, The Peninsula is the second most expensive hotel in Bangkok.

I'll get to details later in the review but for those of you who want a quick opinion, the Peninsula is indeed as good as you have read in other reviews. Impeccably clean, great service, great quiet location. The title of my review however, is alluding to the fact that I think you can get the same level of service at a lower price point. During our last visit to Bangkok 4 years ago, we stayed at the Banyan Tree, which was considerably less per night and I was just as amazed at the service levels. In fact, they may have even exceeded The Peninsula in some instances - quicker check-in, complimentary cocktail on arrival, free treats at the pool, quicker check out.

Okay on to the details...

The hotel is in located in the midst of this bustling city, right on the river. The hotel is shaped like a W, with all rooms facing the river, so traffic noise is never a concern. The rooms are spacious and super clean. The "bedroom" area is completely separate from the bathroom - hard to explain but check out the floor plans on the hotel's website. Also, rooms ending in 01 and 02 had their own little corridor, so there was no hallway noise to deal with either. The room featured a king size bed, flat panel tv with lots of channels, sofa, desk and enough space for our baby's crib and free wifi. Lights, curtains, and electronics were all controllable from this bedside device which sensed when a hand was near and triggered a dull backlight - so there was no fumbling in the dark. The AC vents were also strategically positioned to offer comfortable cooling while sleeping. The bathroom was huge, featuring 2 sinks, stand up shower, tub (with tv) and Oscar De La Renta toiletries. The dressing area had a bench that was large enough to hold 2 large suitcases and 1 small one. The foyer had a fully stocked minibar (extra charge) however, they did provide complimentary bottled water daily.

The hotel had a few dining options - the breakfast was amazing, including all the "western" favourites and Asian dishes too like noodles, dim sum - the highlight for me was the staff member dedicated to slicing up fresh fruit. We had dinner at the onsite Thai restaurant and the first night, it was simply the most amazing Thai food we had ever had. On a subsequent night, we ordered it in our room and for whatever reason, was nowhere as delicious.

There was a well-equipped gym and spa (I did not see the latter). The change rooms had saunas and steam rooms too. There was a free boat to the other side of the river (skytrain, local shops/mall) which was a really nice feature. The hotel also has a free coffee station for those checking out in the wee hours.

Staff were super friendly. The highlight for me was when we returned from a late night out and asked at one of the restaurants if they had milk for my infant daughter. They promised to deliver it to the room. We went straight to the elevators and up to our room and found the milk waiting for us - unbelievable!

Overall, we had a great stay at The Peninsula. Should we return to Bangkok in the future, we would definitely consider staying there again but going back to my prior comment, I'm not sure I would pass up on other hotels that come in at significantly less price points.

Room Tip: rooms ending in 01 and 02 are isolated from others
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JGF75

Dear JGF75,

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed account of your stay. Your descriptions and observations on the hotel’s facilities and services are greatly appreciated. They are similar to other guests’ feedback. Even though there are many choices in Bangkok, when it comes to price, we do believe that we offer a great value for the quality of our products and services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed at the peninsula back in October 2013 and all i can say is our stay was just perfect.the hotel architecture is very well done right from the long pathway that leads up to the lobby to the bedroom itself. One of the best hotels i have stayed so far. Located right on the bank of the famous Chao Phraya river you have a great view of the Bangkok skyline from the attached balcony in the room.
As about the rooms they are a bit old but nonetheless wonderful. all lighting and curtains are electronically controlled. bed is very comfortable. bathroom is nice with all the amenities you could ask for. Absolutely pin drop silence in the rooms. Amazing sleep quality.
Its a bit far from the international airport and this is not in terms of km`s or miles but mostly due to terrible Bangkok traffic.Takes about 1 and a half hour in normal traffic.
The staff is extremely well trained and polite. Even though some have a lil problem speaking English they try to help you the best they can. They arrange a taxi whenever you need it and even give directions to the driver on you destination.
Couldn't ask for anything more.
Definitely will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Peninsula_BK, Director of Rooms at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Aniket88,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us. We highly appreciate your comments about the hotel. It was nice to know that even though our team’s English skills need improvement, they still tried their best to offer the help and service you wanted. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed at the Peninsula Bangkok in June while attending a conference. Have stayed at various similar hotels in Bangkok which boast better access to the shopping areas but the Peninsula beats them all in terms of the relaxed peacefulness of the location. The river on its doorstep does make a difference. The shopping areas are just a boat and BTS ride away from the hotel and when you are done shopping, you can return to an oasis of calm. The hotel provides a boat service that runs on demand so I never had to wait more than five minutes.

The room I stayed in, Grand Deluxe, was large and extremely well equipped. Outstanding view. Could not ask for more. It may not be spanking new like the Kempinsky but its certainly not worn out.

The service was good as you would expect and the food (I only tried room service) was excellent. The Spa was also tremendous. I also used their airport limo service(BMW) and while expensive, it made for a truly hassle free arrival. They received me at the porch and brought me straight up to my room. Nice touch.

Would almost definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sala23
Peninsula_BK, Resident Manager at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Sala23,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

As you have well pointed out, our location on the banks of the Chao Praya River certainly adds to the relaxing atmosphere here at The Peninsula Bangkok. We also appreciate you highlighting our shuttle boat service, which is indeed a convenient way to reach the BTS, taking guests to the main shopping districts in a hassle-free manner.

Like all our rooms, the Grand Deluxe category offers great views as they are situated on the top floors of our 37-story building.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and would certainly welcome the opportunity to have you back as our guest in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I should say that this trip was the best hotel stay i have experience so far. With excellent service, I felt like I am very special which makes me so satisfied with everything. Their foods are still great. The guest room was so clean with a amazing river view. I love the hotel facilities, espicially the pool and fitness center that I spent lots of time with. Overall this luxury hotel is amazingly wonderful for all types of tourists.
Ps. This hotel is quite pricey, but I do not want any of you(guests) worry about that cause life is too short to be worried :))

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Thanawat W

Dear Thanawat W,

We appreciate your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us and are delighted that you got the opportunity to enjoy many of our facilities and services. It is always a pleasure reading feedback such as yours. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.