“Just perfect!”

Ranked #7 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Just perfect!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have stayed at the Peninsula on several occasions and it never fails to deliver. Great hotel, great location and wonderful staff! This trip was our honeymoon and the hotel did everything it could to make our visit very special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Peninsula_BK, Director of Rooms at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear BritRockdoctor,

As a supporter of Peninsula already, it is great to be able to have you with us for such a special occasion as well. Glad to hear the team looked after you. It is a special time, memories to last a lifetime.

We look forward to welcoming you back for anniversaries in the future.

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (798)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Travelled with a family of 4 ( 2 adult, 1 infant and a 4 years old) Booked a one bedroom suite with twin beds for 4 nights. The normal check in time was 2pm, we were 10 minutes early a Japanese gentleman behind the front desk insisted that we waited at the lobby because the checked into the time was 2pm. I was a bit puzzled as I looked at my watch it was only 10 mintues till then but since the family was tired and did not want to be difficult so we waited. Frankly for such a renown hotel I was surprised by the lack of consideration.

The room looked as we expected to be clean and spacious with the baby crib and a complimentary baby basket. However when I looked in the bedroom it was a standard king size bed which was disspointing since requested for a twin. Once informed he rectified straight away. The house keeping was prompt and apologetic as they could see that we were tired and the kids were uneasy.

Once they left I was shocked because from a standard king, they just split the beds into 2 to make 2 singles. The beds were not even standard single beds. They were ridiculously small. While the beds themselves were comfortable but my husband is 6.1" so he had to stay in one position to prevent from falling.

The next morning I went to the front desk. This time it was a Japanese lady. I informed her my problem, she did not even let me finish she immidiately said " They are typical twin beds. We don't have anything bigger than that.." The attitude was impolite and unprofessional.
Since she could not assist nor give me a better option, I asked her to turn the rediculously small beds into a standard King for me and my husband, and get an extra bed for my 3 years old.

My comments are not about value for money. Because we all know if you look for the most for your bucks you would need to look elsewhere. The brand represents luxury, prestigious, quality and comfort which the price reflex in everyway therefore rightly so for those who book at Peninsular Hotel they would want more than just a standard king bed. Also the hotel should put a clause on the web that state if you are looking for twin beds in one bedroom suite it highly not recommended should you be taller than 6".

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Am P
Peninsula_BK, Director of Rooms at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Am P,

We are certainly very sorry to hear of your experience and thank you for your comments. Should you wish to discuss further the short comings of your stay, please do contact the Hotel directly, we would appreciate the chance to follow up with you personally.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Honestly for the price we were disappointed. The hotel is becoming run down particularly the rooms. We were also disappointed with the food & the service which clearly was not 5*. We stayed at Sheraton Grande on Sukhumvit which was in a different league in terms of service, food, rooms, swimming pool, breakfast....i could go on but you get the idea!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank james a
Peninsula_BK, Assistant Director of Food and Beverage at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear james a,

Warmest greetings from The Peninsula Bangkok.

I have noted with great regret that you have not been fully satisfied with our food and service. I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Somchai Pongcharoen
Assistant Director of Food & Beverage
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I was slightly concerned at booking this hotel because of its location on the opposite side of the river where I would normally stay, but I am so delighted that I made this visit to the Peninsula. Actually its position makes it perfect for a quiet escape from the noisy and chaotic parts of the city. Additionally the hotel, whilst being grand and quite traditional, does also have a resort feel about it, since its spa, pools and riverside location offered so many areas for true relaxation and pampering. Check-in was flawless and I was swiftly taken to my 30th floor grand deluxe room, which was highly spacious and comfortable. Housekeeping was fantastic throughout my 6 day stay. Service at the pools was first class and always appreciated: cold drinks served immediately on arrival, free ice creams served and lovely lunches to be enjoyed too. The salas provided great space for lazing and reading. I enjoyed room service meals...beautifully presented and ably served. The Thai restaurant is a great setting for an evening meal and again service so friendly and helpful. Staff at the Riverside Cafe were so kind to me each morning at breakfast and quickly learnt my favourite items and had them ready to serve! Concierge services were very good. Two disappointments (minor)...terrible service at the Business Centre (how antiquated) and on one occasion I was badly dealt with by one of the front door staff who seemed too busy chatting to open my taxi door!
All in all this is a wonderful hotel and during this rainy season there are many good deals to be had! I will certainly return soon!

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear JimDKL,

It is great you had the chance to spend than a few nights relaxing at our "resort in the city". Looking back on the city from our side of the river affords wonderful views, a more relaxed atmosphere while only being a 5 minute boat ride away from one of the liveliest cities in the world.

Sorry to hear there were a few lapses in service, we will work to improve these and do apreciate your feedback.

Hopefully we can welcome you back when you are next looking to relax in the city!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights as the start of our honeymoon we was meet at the airport by there chauffeur in there rolls Royce and taken to the hotel the staff where fantastic from the start with a champagne breakfast to there turn down service nothing is to much trouble would definitely staff here again and would recommend it to anyone you must stay here even one night

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Kalajayne
Dear Kalajayne,

We are very happy that you chose to start your honeymoon with us and gave us the chance to make it memorable moment. Hopefully in the coming years we can see you back again to celebrate many anniversaries.

Congratulations again!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights last week in 2 grand deluxe rooms which were very spacious. One a corner king and the other a twin for the 2 teenagers. When used together you are able to use a small antechamber and create a suite. Fabulous views over the river which offers a wonderful viewing of life in Bangkok. Spacious bathroom and big bath.
The service is excellent. We utilised the concierge services repeatedly and were impressed with every dealing.
Lovely 3 tiered pool surrounded by tropical gardens, upper pool a quiet area near the Spa centre, the lower pool allows river watching. I had tea by the pool in a silver pot, felt very spoilt.
We had a great lunch in the River Cafe on arrival and enjoyed the variety of western and Asian buffet breakfast.
We did the hotel arranged floating market tour, and despite being designated family compulsory and an early start, the boy teen announced it was great post.
Great location. Loved catching the boat across the river from their pier back and forth. Takes minutes to glide upstream to the bridge and connect with the sky train.
Wifi was fast and unlimited devices.
Would always stay near river if I could as gets away from the shopping and allows endless river watching which is fascinating.
Like an oasis, no glitz just serene elegance

Room Tip: The higher rooms have more expansive views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Peninsula_BK, Resident Manager at The Peninsula Bangkok, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Jennifer95_11,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and your fellow travellers a feedback on your recent stay at The Peninsula Bangkok. Our location alongside the river makes the hotel an urban oasis in Bangkok.

The rooms that you have stayed in are indeed ideal for families as they are interconnected, but at the same time, still offer a certain level of privacy and separation because of their layout.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to The Peninsula Bangkok.

Rolf Beulhmann
Resident Manager
Toronto
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Having read pages and pages of glowing reviews, as well as the fact that this hotel is constantly ranked in the top hotels in a travel magazine that I subscribe to, we decided to splurge and try it out. Based on my research, The Peninsula is the second most expensive hotel in Bangkok.

I'll get to details later in the review but for those of you who want a quick opinion, the Peninsula is indeed as good as you have read in other reviews. Impeccably clean, great service, great quiet location. The title of my review however, is alluding to the fact that I think you can get the same level of service at a lower price point. During our last visit to Bangkok 4 years ago, we stayed at the Banyan Tree, which was considerably less per night and I was just as amazed at the service levels. In fact, they may have even exceeded The Peninsula in some instances - quicker check-in, complimentary cocktail on arrival, free treats at the pool, quicker check out.

Okay on to the details...

The hotel is in located in the midst of this bustling city, right on the river. The hotel is shaped like a W, with all rooms facing the river, so traffic noise is never a concern. The rooms are spacious and super clean. The "bedroom" area is completely separate from the bathroom - hard to explain but check out the floor plans on the hotel's website. Also, rooms ending in 01 and 02 had their own little corridor, so there was no hallway noise to deal with either. The room featured a king size bed, flat panel tv with lots of channels, sofa, desk and enough space for our baby's crib and free wifi. Lights, curtains, and electronics were all controllable from this bedside device which sensed when a hand was near and triggered a dull backlight - so there was no fumbling in the dark. The AC vents were also strategically positioned to offer comfortable cooling while sleeping. The bathroom was huge, featuring 2 sinks, stand up shower, tub (with tv) and Oscar De La Renta toiletries. The dressing area had a bench that was large enough to hold 2 large suitcases and 1 small one. The foyer had a fully stocked minibar (extra charge) however, they did provide complimentary bottled water daily.

The hotel had a few dining options - the breakfast was amazing, including all the "western" favourites and Asian dishes too like noodles, dim sum - the highlight for me was the staff member dedicated to slicing up fresh fruit. We had dinner at the onsite Thai restaurant and the first night, it was simply the most amazing Thai food we had ever had. On a subsequent night, we ordered it in our room and for whatever reason, was nowhere as delicious.

There was a well-equipped gym and spa (I did not see the latter). The change rooms had saunas and steam rooms too. There was a free boat to the other side of the river (skytrain, local shops/mall) which was a really nice feature. The hotel also has a free coffee station for those checking out in the wee hours.

Staff were super friendly. The highlight for me was when we returned from a late night out and asked at one of the restaurants if they had milk for my infant daughter. They promised to deliver it to the room. We went straight to the elevators and up to our room and found the milk waiting for us - unbelievable!

Overall, we had a great stay at The Peninsula. Should we return to Bangkok in the future, we would definitely consider staying there again but going back to my prior comment, I'm not sure I would pass up on other hotels that come in at significantly less price points.

Room Tip: rooms ending in 01 and 02 are isolated from others
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JGF75
Dear JGF75,

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed account of your stay. Your descriptions and observations on the hotel’s facilities and services are greatly appreciated. They are similar to other guests’ feedback. Even though there are many choices in Bangkok, when it comes to price, we do believe that we offer a great value for the quality of our products and services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Rolf Beulhmann