“There is only one Peninsula...”

The Peninsula Bangkok
Ranked #11 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Peninsula Hotels are the best on the market, imagine the service in The Land of Smiles...
Just perfect. All these little things that make a stay memorable are to be found here.
OK, I admit, I am a Pen junkie... Wherever there is one, I stay there.

Greeted by everybody, small personal touches in the room (like the !little tray that miracously appeared for my junk on the desk), delicious food, corteous staff, smashing view (34th floor), flawless river shuttle, delightful toiletries, and so on.
Oh, and I've never seen my linen shirts and trousers ironed so perfectly. I took a picture for my housekeeper at home... Poor soul if she has to match thàt...

Some people complained about the high prices of F&B: well, it's a 5* hotel, deal with it! If you want perfection, you need some sacrifices.

Tomorrow off to Phuket to a new resort (The Vijjit). Let's see...

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Georgio L

Reviewed 23 September 2009

I'll start by saying that I have stayed in some of the best 5 stars in the U.S., Middle East, and Africa. I'm partial to Four Seasons (primarily because I know what to expect). I chose the Peninsula because of reviews here and other places. My wife and I were on a four night vacation flying in from Abu Dhabi.

Hotel car pick-up from airport was prompt, friendly, and without any hassle. We arrived at 12pm and were checked-in immediately (no stop at the front desk, just greeted at the lobby and taken directly to our room--a deluxe). Room was spacious and clean with a balcony overlooking the river. Bathroom was large with two separate basins, large bath (with TV), separate shower, and separate toilet area/room.

Service was outstanding. Understated, but, you always knew somebody on the staff had their eye on you to answer any questions, grab the check, or offer assistance. This is true for the staff at the lobby, bars, restaurants, gym, and docking platform (which you will get to know well if you plan to explore the city via the sky rail).

Food was decent. We only ate at the chinese restaurant. But, it's Bangkok and I suggest dining elsewhere (a bit more on that later).

Gym was decent. Only 6 cardio machines and the universal and free-weight selection were nothing to write home about. However, the steam room, sauna, whirlpool facilities were a pleasant surprise.

Pool/s were great. Grab a cabana if you can (they are free). Built-in fan and electric plug-in (haven't seen this before in a no-charge area). 3 pools sit together overlooking river. Staff is prompt.

Location is fine. You have to take a 3 min ride via boat to the sky train (or Oriental). But, it's a nice ride and a fun way to get around. Hotel car is 950 BHT an hour and traffic is horrible. So, I really suggest the sky train.

What made the difference for me was our fourth (should have been) and last day. I ate out the night before at a few places (yes I indulged in street food). Woke up the next morning and was violently ill (to the point of complete incapacitation). My wife discussed with the manager and she agreed to let us check-out at 5:30pm in time to catch our flight. They then promptly sent up an in-house nurse who provide a number of medicines (to include antibiotics). However, my condition worsened and we decided to spend another night because I was unable to travel. The hotel accommodated with no hassle (and no change in rate). What was striking is that over the course of the next 24hrs, whenever any staff came by the room (room services, towels, etc...) they were all very sensitive to our situation (meaning they had been briefed) and tip-toed around the sick Faraung in bed.

It's service and attention like this that sets apart some of the world's finest hotels. It's not just pretty views, nice rooms, or friendly staff. The hotel was flexible, had on-site staff to help out in an emergency, and made sure the staff understood our situation.

For that reason, we will be dedicated to the Peninsula on our future visits to Bangkok. And we will have this experience in-mind when visiting cities with where the Peninsula has properties.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Daeman
Reviewed 22 September 2009

So much to say about how great this hotel is. I stayed there with my wife for our honeymoon in August (1st time we have ever been to this hotel), we have stayed in some of the top rated hotels around the world but this is a cut above them all - if you are thinking of staying at a hotel in Bangkok and you can afford the Peninsula for a few nights just do it you will not regret it. We were on our honeymoon for almost 4 weeks staying at various hotels, the peninsula being the only one where we did not have to change rooms because the room was fantastic. The spa was awesome, the restaurants/buffet etc just vast amounts of top quality food, the high tea awesome - not often we like to re-visit hotels we have stayed at but the Peninsula is one where we just cant wait to go back to.

1  Thank shadowthfc
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Just returned from a 4 day break out to BKK, staying at The Peninsula. What a great place to stay. Had a room on the 30th floor (suite) and to say it is luxurious just doesnt do it justice. Would definitely recommend it to others. Its true that you spend a bit more here than you would at other places, but you know where that extra cash has gone. The bar prices can get a bit expensive (for eg. the local beer is pricey!) but if you're going to stay at the Pen, you expect those sorts of prices. Awesome hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Sometimes I think five star ratings come out of corn flake boxes.
The Peninsula however, lives up to the reputation. The room quality, size and standard of amenities was excellent. Staff were great. Breakfast at the riverfront was a highly enjoyable experience. I think I put on an extra kilo with the huge selection of food. Definitely have the afternoon tea whilst listening to the jazz trio. I also loved the hotel river boat experience. Warning: I'm a person of simple tastes. My Porsche isn't a turbo charged model, and my tailor resides in HongKong rather than Paris, saying that, the Peninsula was a hard to fault, value for money, luxury, city hotel.

Reviewed 19 September 2009

a great place to relax and enjoy Bangkok's many charms. We lolled by the pool and took in the city view from our room. The bathrooms are amazing. You can take out movies from the library. The gym and sauna are great as well.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 16 September 2009

We spent four nights at this hotel and it was such a great holiday. The staff were very fireindly and the rooms were large with stunning views. I would say the prices are reasonable since if you need a good holiday you need to spend to get it. I will definietely return soon. Thank you Peninsula for the great holiday spent.