“Luxurious decadent”

Ranked #8 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Kolkata
“Luxurious decadent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2009

The Peninsular is slightly away but well connected. The Spa is fabulous. There as a conference going on and yet one could spend time without being hassled.

The service is very good but the front desk manager was irritating.

We used the spa treatments and when we werent happy with one of them, it was repeated next day free of cost. The Spa Manager was very friendly and gave good suggestions.

The food was not very good. especially since we are vegetarians there was little choice for lunches and dinners. Breakfasts were well laid and aplenty choices there.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank nahata101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2009

I have just returned from another wonderful stay at this hotel having stayed there five years ago and being suitably impressed. I have stayed in many hotels in Bangkok since but hands down the Peninsula is by far the best. Yes, my opinion is somewhat swayed by the wonderful oversized baths complete with inset television. But aside from that everything gleams, there is no sign of wear or tear anywhere in the hotel, the staff are professional and polite and the breakfasts are simply wonderful. The only slight downside is that it is the wrong side of the river and not in the heart of the shopping district for a shopaholic but that is such a small price to pay for a hotel that is run to perfect precision.
Book the Peninsular - even the fussiest of guest can't complain.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Lulublue32
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

My husband and I stayed here for some of our honeymoon. It was perfection. The room was amazing and the attention to detail throughout the hotel was superb. The staff are fantastic and immaculately turned out. Everything was great. Couldn't fault it. Definitely one of my favourites - will return.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kangaroo234
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

This hotel is so good! It was our third time in Bangkok (the other two staying at Banyan Tree) and will go back again and again.
I really don't know where to start from. The breakfast was an actual feast and the ability to eat outside next to the river makes it unique.
The reception and concierge staff are very efficient.
The room was not a large one but the view was just magnificent.
Last but not least are the "leisure" facilities, e.g. swimming pool, and of course the FANTASTI C SPA!
When I booked for a traditional thai I didn't expect this... The time that you can spend before your therapy in the lockers its a spa itself. Sauna, hamam, hot and cool splunge pools... By the time I had to do the massage I was half relaxed. The therapists are great. They asked me if I had any recent problems with sleeping, breathing, etc and when I told them about my trouble sleeping the therapist gave me to inhale an oil and she also put it on my chest. Believe me it was the first night out of five that had a great relaxing sleep.
My boyfriend used the gym and he came back speachless not because of the facilities themselves (its not big) but from the service.
I could go on and on with the restaurants etc but it wouldn't change the good impression.
Stay there, it worths every cent of it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daisyGr
Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

This is a big luxury hotel just near the river. The room was very nice with luxury dark furniture. The room was good size, and so was the bathroom. The breakfast buffet was very good too, but when I leaved the table to get more food, when I came back my juice, tea and knife and everything was gone like I was finished after 5 min.!?
When I checked in I booked the Mercedes S-class to the airport. When I checked out the next day they didn’t know anything about my booking. And the staff didn’t seem to care either. This is not good for this kind of hotel. But the car was available so I got the trip anyway. But the Merc was 7 years old!
So The Peninsula was a good experience but some things is not “5 star”.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank Trondheim10
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

This was the big splurge of our trip, and having read so many good things about it, there was a lot to live upto. The Peninsula did that and more! We were blown away with the service, food, room and amenities, and the location is the best. If you can afford the treat then this is a great place to base yourself to explore the worlds most exciting city.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank froghop
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2009

We spent two nights at the Peninsula in early October as part of our 25th Wedding Anniversary trip. I loved the fact that it was on the other side of the river, it was part of the fun to travel back and forth in the the Pen's little boats and it took very little time indeed.

We had a balcony room with spectacular views but unfortunately it was far too hot to utilise the balcony except in the evenings. The room was beautiful with everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel, LCD TV, TV over the bath, dressing area, beautiful bathroom etc. The in room safe was not large enough for my lap top which I wasn't very happy with. The only complaint was that there was no tea and coffee making facilities in the room and we love our early morning coffee - however room service delivered a big pot of coffee in about 10 minutes.

The pool was beautiful, particularly if you get a sala with a fan and lights, very comfortable indeed.

We ate breakfast at the breakfast buffet, huge range but I wasn't greatly impressed with the egg chef, he did not seem able to cook a soft poached egg and due to the language barrier he kept telling me it needed 15-20 minutes to poach one!! I gave up and had fried eggs instead. The dinner buffet at the Riverside Terrace is fantastic value, beautiful freshly cooked food in a spectacular setting. We had toasted sandwiches in the restaurant and by the pool - they were very expensive but very, very big, you really only need one to share. We also had the afternoon tea as part of our package and that was very nice indeed. We also did the Sunset Cruise to the Temple of Dawn. I highly recommend this - for about $40AUD you get an hours cruise with spectacular scenery, very nice canapes and unlimited cocktails, wine or champagne. Excellent value.

As other people have mentioned, it is wonderful to use their Mercedes transfer service. We were taken to the airport and escorted inside, straight to the front of the Thai check-in queue. The driver took control of our lugage and passports and the Thai check-in staff completely ignored the fact that we had over 20kg more luggage than the allowance. The driver was quite surprised that we were flying economy though - I don't think they go to that queue very often!

Overall it was a very good hotel. We have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in KL and I felt the service there was just a bit better than at the Pen. Maybe next time we will try the Mandarin in Bangkok to see how that compares.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple