“Perfection is a powerful message!”

The Peninsula Bangkok
Ranked #10 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Well, they have done it again and amazed me! I have been coming to the Peninsula Hotel for a while now, and every time I rediscover its beauty, high level of service, and quality.

My room was on the 33rd floor, with a breathtaking view over the Chao Praya River. Although the electrics in the room did not work (a message that this was in the process of being repaired was kindly provided upon arrival), the hotel is, to me the best in Bangkok!

All restaurants are exceptionally good, although the Chinese and Thai dishes are somewhat adapted to Western tasts, which I suppose is a requirement at such a large hotel. However, any wish is their command and I have found it useful to specify that I would like my Thai food prepared in the same way that they would eat it. It is then served according to the original receipes.

The Spa is heaven on earth! Not cheap, but thouroughly worth at least one visit, if not more. There are countless of day spas around Bangkok, which are a lot cheaper (as in 10% of the Peninsula prices). This said, a massage at the Peninsula Spa will take your breath away (whereas most day spas are more of a happy ending sort of experience).

I discovered something very special this time, which is also the main reason for which I consider this one of the best hotels of the world. Despite being a very large place, and despite the often large numbers of tourists that will stay at this hotel, there is a personalised serviced, in as much as I always felt that I was in a small boutique hotel.

It is also a hotel, where not every extra service will cost you extra; some hotels have this nasty attitude of charging their guests fr everything they can possibly do, which I have to say was not the case here.

Finally, the day that you'll leave the hotel is nasty; you'd wish that you could stay at th hotl forever (and indeed you can rent rooms on a monthly basis, as I have learned), and I always leave this hotel feeling sad that it my stay there is over, but happy to the thought of returning!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank 062211d
Write a ReviewReviews (4,684)

Reviewed 8 January 2010

A friend and I stayed in a deluxe room for two nights in Bangkok during the rainy season. As we were in town for only a weekend, we took advantage of all the hotel had to offer including an extraordinary breakfast buffet on the riverfront, two days lounging pool-side with drinks and lunch under the cabanas, a day at the Peninsula Spa which was heavenly to say the least, and relaxation in our more-than-spacious room.

We did venture out in the evenings to some local hot spots, as well a restaurant that was recommended by the friendly Concierge, but unfortunately, it was at night when the rain Gods shed their tears, and the stuff came down in sheets.

The staff was generally helpful though we had a small issue over late check-out. In, dare I say, traditional Thai-fashion, discreet and polite, and the hotel is overall, amazingly quiet and relaxing.

The location of the hotel is not the most convenient if you're in town for a lot of sightseeing, I'd recommend staying on the other side of the river -- maybe the Shangri-La or Mandarin if you're going upscale.

But if you're here to relax and enjoy, The Peninsula is definitely a little piece of heaven, and well worth it!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank travelingtuboo
Reviewed 6 January 2010

Loads of good stuff already written about this place and I would just confirm that its true. Its pricey mind you but very special indeed.

Location is great with the boats over the river to the skytrain and ferry / taxi stops, therefore good access to the "must see's" in Bangkok

Spa was sensational, again pricey, but have to say it was worth every little baht I paid

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boro_Nil
Reviewed 5 January 2010

This was our 3rd stay at the Penninsula. We had thought of trying another place, but will never make that mistake again. Only the Penninsula when in Bangkok.

The hotel staff greated us at the car, and whisked us directly up to our room for in room check in. That was the only hotel that did that for us during a five star, five hotel, trip.

The place was decked out for Christmas. Fantastic breakfast and food in the restauarants, and the pool is great. The service at this hotel is second to none.
I got an eye infection, and at 3:00 a.m. the nurse met me to give me medication -- no charge.

You have got to stay here to believe it.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mcguires54
Reviewed 31 December 2009

What a fantastic hotel, we stayed here durung a stop off on our way from Bali to the Uk. Have stayed in other hotels along the river but this was the best by a long way. The rooms were opulent, the service attentive, breakfast excellant. Being on the wrong side of the river was not a problem as the hotel has a free shuttle boat that crosses to the other bank on a regular basis. The hotel organised a taxi back to the airport for us at a very reasonable rate.
We loved this hotel and would definately return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank tinksincave
Reviewed 29 December 2009

We stayed at the Peninsula for three nights upon arrival in Thailand. The room and rate were through the Fine Hotels & Resorts program at American Express. Our room rate was around $225/night and we did not get an upgrade at the time of arrival, so our room was a deluxe king, which I believe is one step up from a standard room.

The riverside location was terrific, and we loved using their comp hotel boat, which would take you to one of three locations: the pubic ferry pier, which we used to go to various tourist sights; a Peninsula dock on the other side of the river, which we used to get to get to the other side of river when we met some folks at the Oriental; or the skytrain station, which we used to get to various downtown locations. It's a great way to start any outing, taking only 5 minutes to get across the river and never having to wait for more than 2-3 minutes as there are multiple boats. It was also very enjoyable to watch all of the boat activity on the river, whether from the room, while on the boat or ferry, or just watching from the lobby and restaurant areas.

The unobstructed view from the room was of the river and skyline. The room itself was spacious, well-apppointed and had a huge bathroom. The bed was the most comfortable of our three week stay in SE Asia, as even higher-end hotels in Thailand and Cambodia seem to use only one mattress on a platform-style frame. Fresh fruit was replensished daily, a morning newspaper arrived in a box near the front door, and the room was always promptly re-made while we were out. We never actually saw any housekeeping service taking place on our floor.

The breakfast buffet, which was included in our room rate was very inviting and included a vast array of Asian and American items, some pre-cooked and others cooked to order. My spouse really raves about the variety of tropical fruits (jackfruit, dragonfruit, pineapple, mango, papaya and more), lox, Thai dishes, all types of eggs, any coffee drink that you wanted to order: espresso, lattes. We especially like an Asian egg custard that they had outside at the Asian cook-to-order area. As it was quite warm, even in the morning, we chose to sit inside for breakfast. For media hounds like myself, there was cart with international newspapers available outside the breakfast area.

The afternoon tea, again part of our package through AmEx, was held in the main lounge overlooking the river. A pianist was often playing when we would come through the lobby area during the daytime and early evenings. And upon returning to the hotel in the afternoons it was very pleasant to sit in that same area and enjoy a glass or wine or snack.

Even in November, when the temperatures are supposed to be somewhat cooler, it's almost oppressively hot in Bangkok. The pool area, which is one long pool that is stepped down towards the river, is also a very pleasant spot to spend some time during the heat of the day. For lap or masters swimmers, the main part of the pool is around 20 yards long so you can actually swim laps and do flip turns. When we were in Southern Thailand at Railey Beach, where the temperature and hummidity were just too much for me, I found myself thinking that we could just fly back to Bangkok and take up residence at the Peninsula again.

The day of our departure was my spouse's birthday. The four or so people working at the front desk sang him happy birthday and the hotel gave him two fancy chocolate cakes: the first one was in our room when we came back from a trip out in the morning, but upon realizing that we couldn't eat it all before we left they offered to box it up. That led to cake number two, the first one in the room and the second one in the box; the latter made the trek to Cambodia.

All in all, it was a most comfortable stay and I would heartily recommend the Peninsula for singles, couples or families with well-behaved children. We did go to other parts of Bangkok where there were other well reviewed hotels, but there was something very nice about escaping across the river to an oasis of calm and predictability. If you want the density and action, you can get to it very quickly. And speaking of action, the Skybar at the State Building across the river is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Out-of-SFO
Reviewed 27 December 2009

The Peninsula Bangkok is the ultimate hospitality experience... besides the smiling faces of the personel there are the rooms which have been set and decorated to perfection; the food is to die for not to mention the spa. Go there and enjoy!!!!

Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple