“In the middle of the Bangkok madness, this is a heaven”

The Sukhothai Bangkok
Ranked #30 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 26 December 2011

The hotel is a paradise in amongst the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.

From the moment you drive through the gates, to the beautiful colonial buildings, the place is calm and beautiful.

The rooms are stylish and spacious. The food excellent and the hotel is quiet overall.

A really great experience and well worth the price.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank alibullock

Reviewed 26 December 2011

As a professional in the travel trade industry, this is definitively one of my favorite places in Bangkok, one that I like selling and staying in. Very good value for your money. And surrounded by very good eating places in the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Loved everything about The Sukhothai Bangkok. From the architecture, to the gardens, to the rooms, the service and the food. Just amazing. The location... well, it is not easy in Bangkok, with a "dispersed" city like that, to get everything right. Location is not bad, and I guess for me, anything that is not close to Khao San road is not too interesing. But hey, to each their own.

If you want a truely luxury expeirence in every respect, to and stay there.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2011

When I made my first trip to Thailand 10 years ago, I splurged on a room at the Sukhothai. At that time, it was relatively expensive for my budget and impressed me as one of the nicest hotels I had ever stayed. It was a special experience that had extreme sentimental value and I was a little afraid to stay there again, 10 years later, fearing that it would not live up to my memories.

I’m thrilled to report that my second stay at the Sukhothai was just as memorable as my first time. I now spend about 75 nights a year in some of the world’s best hotels, and the Sukhothai remains a standout. The hotel’s database reminded the staff that it was not my first time at the hotel, and several of the staff welcomed me back and gave me a room upgrade. (I know this is a small point, but it always feels good to be acknowledged for being a repeat guest. Too often, I come back to hotels after many stays only to be asked “is this your first time with us?” It gets annoying, Ritz Carlton Chicago!)

I liked: Possibly the best service of any hotel I’ve stayed at in Asia. Unlike many hotels, where the staff is so over-attentive that they seem subservient, the Sukhothai staff is smart and respectful without making you feel like a colonist. When the staff makes a recommendation, you trust them because you feel that they have a similar level of taste, not because they are told what to recommend.

The food was excellent from breakfast to the pool restaurant, and reasonably priced. The bathrooms are large, WiFi fast and free, and I liked the Illy pod espresso machine in the rooms. Excellent beds, pillows and bedding. We were also impressed with the staff in the gym – trainers who would offer a spot even before being asked.

Less impressed: The facilities have been maintained well, but will need refurbishment in the coming years to keep up with newer hotels.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2011

After staying at a budget hotel, all the luxury here was slightly overwhelming - however, I quickly got used to the super-soft bedding in my room, my personal espresso machines (using capsules - nothing like proper espresso but better than Nescafe!), and the stunning swimming pools with its plethora of fluffy towels.

I had a Superior Double in the main building - smallish in size but perfectly adequate even for a day of lounging in the hotel not doing very much. The corridors leading from the lift to my room were somewhat shabby looking and not airconditioned - I didn't care much as it took me less than a minute to walk through my room. Room was very nice, not much of a view but all decked out in classic style with lots of wood, a super bathroom, aforementioned espresso machine and complimentary fruit and chocolate. The mattresses were among the most comfortable I have slept on - Sealy Posturepedic - and nicely clean and stain-free.

The Fitness Centre is very well kept, and the 25m pool is just stunning. No chlorine here, yet lovely clean water, immaculately kept pool areas with loungers and towels and complimentary cold water. The steam room and sauna were okay, somewhat small, but adequate. I also took a yoga class which was rather disappointing as the style of yoga taught was not particularly mainstream, and the teacher could be a bit huffy.

Breakfast was okay - a little lacklustre compared to other 5-star establishments. Cooked Asian breakfast was available a la carte, so I tried a Japanese Breakfast Bento, which was fine, but I had much better in cheaper places. Likewise, the baked goods and cheeses were fine but nothing special. I was presented with a substantial bill despite having booked a room with breakfast, and when I mentioned this to the server, they said they'd check and then came back saying I would be charged for breakfast. This was somewhat annoying considering the class of this establishment, but a trip to reception proved that I was right.
Housekeeping could be a bit slow in the mornings - again, only a minor hiccup but one that should not happen at this price.

The area outside the hotel is rather boring - you'd need a taxi to get away - or the nearest Metro is a 10-minute slog away, and there is absolutely nothing going on in the area in the evenings - either get away in a cab, or cross the road outside the hotel and risk being run over. And there really isn't much going on here in the evenings. There are two restaurants, one Italian, one Thai. The communal areas appear quite cold and uninviting, there is no library or comfy area with magazines to sit in - only a rather intimidating looking business centre and a deli that sells magazine, but thsi may suot a large part of the business clientele in this place.

One of the reason I booked was to check out its potential for a wedding reception/honeymoon first night hotel, and although I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, it altogether appears a little too anonymous and corporate to be truly memorable, so I shall keep looking.

Room Tip: At this price, one hopes all rooms are top-notch. As previous posters mention, there can be a little...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Anja-Superlekker
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My husband and I were fortunate enough to spend time at the Sukhothai on our way to Australia and back. We loved it. On our return journey we were upgraded to a Deluxe Double Room (which we had booked on our way out as well) and it really is worth spending that extra money for the size room you get. The rooms at the Sukhothai are beautifully appointed, but what is more important to me, if you ask for one overlooking the garden, it is absolutely quiet. I am a really light sleeper and slept incredibly well there.

We ate at Celadon twice and thoroughly enjoyed it (ask for a table outside, much nicer!) though there is also a very nice Thai restaurant only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

We used the Spa Botanica which was one of the best spas I have been to anywhere in the world. If you are a couple, try the Thai flower ritual in one of their private spa rooms - unbeatable. We also used the pool and their extremely well equipped gym.

As for the staff - they were lovely and made our stay.

The Sukhothai is 5 star all round - one of the best hotels we have stayed at in the world. Whilst we were not overwhelmed with Bangkok, we would go back to the Sukhothai any day.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed here in late November, just after the flood cleanup. While there were still sandbags everywhere i couldn't spot any flood damage anywhere in the tourist areas.
I picked this hotel because I was concerned about flood damage and inaccessibility of the luxury hotels around the river. I don't think I would have ever discovered this place if it weren't for those fears. I'm so glad I was worried because this hotel is a real standout, and amazing value. Pay for an upgraded room, you won't regret it, they are huge and very well appointed. Thailand in general has an exceptional level of service in the high end establishments. The Sukhothai however made it feel so personal. The staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome and anticipate my needs.
The concierge secured tickets for Muy Thai boxing, suggested restaurants in Chinatown, assisted me with getting a Vietnam Visa. Upon learning that my travel companion was ill the restaurant manager sent a selection of snacks from the afternoon tea along with some cold remedies from the gift shop to the room. Every time I took a taxi the doorman assured that the taxi driver turned the meter on and wrote down the license number of the taxi. They even turned one away who refused to turn on the meter.
The grounds of the hotel are really beautiful as well, so much unexpected garden space and so beautifully manicured. You would never know you're a 10 minute walk from the seediest area in Bangkok, Patpong.
I thought I really wanted a view, so i was happy to learn that the Banyan Tree is right next door which along with the Dome at Lebua is believed by many to have one of the best rooftop bars and restaurants in Bangkok.
The rooms are a great value, but by Bangkok standards they are a little on the expensive side. Perfectly nice rooms can be found at western chains in the area. What you are paying for here is unmatched, pampering service in a tranquil, zen like environment. If that appeals to you, then don't even think about a room at the Peninsula or the Mandarin Oriental, make a home in Bangkok at the Sukhothai.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple