“Gem of a hotel, a shame that it's a little far from the skytrain”

The Sukhothai Bangkok
Ranked #33 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 2 December 2012

A belated review - We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on our big Easter trip. From the airport pickup it's was impeccable service all the way. A staff personally greeted us at the door and whisked us up to our room for check-in (so we didn't have to do it at the front-desk). We only stayed at the smallest room but it was still massive for 2 persons. Pool-side service was attentive and excellent, and so was the bellboys at the front of the hotel. Before each time we got into a taxi at the hotel, the bellboys always made sure the taxi driver clearly knew where we wanted to go. Breakfast quality was also excellent. The only negative was its location, a bit far from the BTS Sala Daeng Station. It's ok to walk that 10 mins distance for adults, but I feel a little apprehensive if I have to cross the busy Thanon Sathon Street with kids in tow.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharka
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management, thank you very much for your precious time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to learn that your stay during Easter Trip at The Sukhothai Bangkok is the pleasant one. We truly appreciated your compliments on our service and also on our breakfast at the Colonnade restaurant. We regret that our location might cause a minor inconvenient for you and your kids. We are looking forward to welcoming you again to The Sukhothai Bangkok in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,560)

Reviewed 2 December 2012

The Sukhothai for my part was a wonderful experience. My son stayed there before and wanted me to experience this fine hotel. We (my son and I) stayed 2 nights. My only complaints are as follows: Found the staff too friendly! During breakfast, I was often interrupted by some staff member. We had a deluxe room (smallest room), which was comfortable, nicely decorated and arranged practically. We were entitled to a free upgrade but had the misfortune that the hotel was full that evening. I was surprised at check-in that the staff did not say that we did or did not get the upgrade, but I asked the next morning. The hotel grounds are relatively small if I compare to the Peninsula (perhaps unfair to make this comparison). The bathroom was beautifully designed and practical. The room included an Italian coffee maker with Italian capsules that produced a better than average cup of coffee. I had breakfast both days and found it to be excellent (bagel, cream cheese and lax!) but hard to get good pancakes in Thailand! We had dinner at the Thai restaurant. Both the presentation and food were done quite well. The price is relatively high of course at 5-star restaurants (it seems the prices are comparable to USA and European prices). We did not use the spa and never found the gym (surprised if the hotel didn’t have one). The pool and pool area are relatively small but still quite nice. The one negative feature of the hotel is its location. There’s not much in the area and the nearest sky train (Sala Daeng) is about a 15-min walk. However, the taxi ride to the major shopping area (Siam) is not far. In conclusion, I highly recommend this hotel if you prefer peace and quiet, high quality and excellent service.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms in this hotel are adequate. It depends on what you want regarding size. you wo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lshapspro
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management, thank you for your feedback while staying at The Sukhothai Bangkok. We are delighted to learn you love our coffee machine in the room, bathroom, Thai food from Celadon restaurant. We have well noted on other comments for improvement. We certainly look forward to your return.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

This was our first stay at The Sukhothai and we look forward to staying with you again. Every aspect of our stay was stellar to say the least. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the moment we were taken to our return flight everything was perfect. Our suite was gorgeous overlooking the pool, the truffles were delicious and the always full fruit basket was greatly appreciated.

Every staff member we dealt with was kind, polite, and super sweet. I have stayed at a variety of upper end hotels in Bangkok and can honestly say that the staff at The Sukhothai out shine the competition by a huge margin. The staff at the breakfast buffet were by far our favorites they all went out of their way to make our breakfast experience amazing. Everyone fawned all over our two year old daughter making her special pancakes, bringing her juice, and one manager even brought her the cutest little hair berets. These guys are amazing and made our stay an amazing experience. Special kudos to the folks behind serving counter they were extremely personable and always smiling. Oops... I almost forgot to mention that the food and the selection were outstanding.

The airport pickup and return were wonderful. Our driver was polite and personable. On our return to the airport we were assisted by hotel staff at the airport it was unexpected, but greatly appreciated.

Thank you for everything!!

Room Tip: Book a suite with breakfast included.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management, thank you so much for this nice review. We are truly delighted to learn that your recent stay at The Sukhothai Bangkok was a pleasant one. We will certainly share this lovely comments to our team.

Look forward to welcome you back in this near future.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

This hotel provides an oasis of calm in the centre of a hectic city. The design deliberately tries to create the sense of a Thai resort hotel with a tree lined drive, water features and courtyards. This carries through to the rooms which are fitted with dark woods which some on this site have suggested are old-fashioned but I find charming. The rooms are slightly smaller than those in the latest offerings but perfectly acceptable. Service is exemplary. The Thai food in the Celadon restaurant is excellent. Concerning location, it is a good ten minutes to the nearest skytrain station but if you are using taxis or a driver this is not a problem. The pool is large and again provides the illusion that you are in a holiday destination.Prices are reasonable for this quality.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We are truly appriciated and thank you for your compliments of The Sukhothai Bankgok. It’s a pleasure to learn that you love our decoration, accomondation, swimming pool, Sukhothai service, hotel location and Celadon, an award winning Thai restaurant.

We hope to have a chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2012 via mobile

It is my second time in Sukhothai. I travel to BKK almost twice a year and I usually likes to try out new hotels. But since I am here in BKK to attend a conference which held in Sukhothai, that's why I come back again.
You can get everything you want from a 5 star hotel here. good service, nice environment, comfy bed. But just a few draw back for me that unlikely I will be back again. Firstly, the location is not ideal. I am here for only 2 days and I only have a few hours for shopping, but there is nothing around this hotel that you can Go and shop. Taking a taxi is a nightmare in BKK so i need to go by public transport. however it is not really direct to public transport. To go to Siam Paragon, I need to first walk 10 mins to the subway station, then take one station to Si Lom, then change BTS to get to Chi Lom. With all the walking and queue up for tics, it took me almost 45 mins!
The room is spacious and comfortable, however the decor is a bit old. Maybe I have been spoil by all the new hotels here in BKK so that's why i am not totally pleased with the interior of the room.
The service here is really excellent and the food here is so good! I love eating in the restaurant Celedon which is the Thai Restaurant here in the hotel! Food is really good and you won't be disappointed.
If you are like old fashion deco and time is not a problem for you, then you might consider this hotel, but I would rather stay somewhere closer to shopping and dinning. Is just my personal choice and no doubt this is a good hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management, thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor. We hope that your conference held at The Sukhothai Bangkok went well with the great success. We regret to here that our hotel location caused you inconvenience in traveling to shopping areas. We truly appreciated your compliments on our service and hotel facilities and our Thai food at our award winning restaurant, Celadon made to your satisfaction. We hope in the near future you will consider to stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Can't say enough about how nice this place is - gracious, elegant, comfortable, impeccable service, beautiful rooms and great facilities. Location is great as well - set back from the main road so the traffic noise is negligible and easy to get to the rest of the city from Soi Sathon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Julian R
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your recent stay at The Sukhothai Bangkok. Your compliments on decoration, facilities, service and location are very much appreciated. Look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Beautiful oasis of calm in the middle of bustling Bangkok. Well appointed rooms with all mod cons. Great staff who are always eager to please. Nice relaxing pool area with comfortable sun beds. We ate at the Thai restaurant but arrived late not long before it closed and ended up the only ones there. The food was good and I am sure with a busier atmosphere earlier in the evening the overall experience would have been better. Breakfast was excellent. A huge choice of Western and Asian foods all of excellent quality.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to learn that you have had a pleasant time while staying at The Sukhothai Bangkok and also satisfied with our rooms and facilities from the pool to the restaurants.

We hope to welcome you back here again in the near future.