Just returned from our second visit to Bangkok (a week each time); the Sukhothai continues to deliver on all fronts:
* Depending on what you want from your visit, the hotel's location could be a pro or con. We chose it because we wanted a relatively central location but outside the riverfront tourist ghetto. That's what you'll get. it's walking distance to Lumpini Park, Convent Street, several top hotels/restaurants, and the MRT (and a longer walk to the BTS), and a 10-minute cab ride to the Central Pier in one direction and the Sukhumvit corridor in the other. So from that perspective, it could be said to be centrally/perfectly located between and among all those sites. That said, it's not on the river or walking distance to the premier shopping malls, if those are your top priorities.
* The property is beautiful, impeccably maintained, quiet, verdant.
* The rooms are state of the art: very well designed and appointed, quiet, secure, and in perfect condition. Especially great beds and linens.
* The staff are best in the business; the concierges are especially helpful.
* One of the hotel restaurants, Celadon, is among the best high-end Thai in the city.
* The pool is lovely, though a rare note of criticism here: it isn't actually my favorite in the city: it's a bit crowded and close, and we had a hard time finding space away from smokers. (It would be great to have a non-smoking section.)
One final note - and a hesitation, because this is an issue throughout Bangkok, and it's not the hotel's fault or responsibility: we noticed more than once, on both our visits, that there is a garbage problem along Sathorn Road. Vendors leave their bags of rubbish on the sidewalk at the end of the day, so overnight, the trash bags attract rats. This can be a real bummer as you're walking home after an evening out - picking your way among the trash bags and their accompanying wildlife. Yuck. Again: not the hotel's fault or responsibility, but maybe Sukhothai management, along with that of the Shangri-La and Metropolitan (all located along the same stretch of Sathorn) can lean on either the city or the vendors to clean up their act, in the interest of their collective guests.
Overall, we give the Sukhothai a 9 out of 10 rating and look forward to returning someday soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- COLONNADE, all-day dining restaurant features live cooking stations, Carving Trolley and a wide selection of Western and Asian favorites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, TravelClick, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Sukhothai Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sukhothai Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Sukhothai Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Sukhothai Hotel