Great hotel, great pool, gym, fantastic spa and good location. One of the best buffet breakfasts in the World but as a regular guest I can’t help think standards are slipping.
Don’t get me wrong – still luxury 5 star but this hotel regularly commands rates of 7,000 – 12,000 THB per night rather than the 3,000-5000 enjoyed at most other regular 5 star hotels in Bangkok.
The service in the past is impeccable, as you’d expect for the rates paid but over 2 or 3 more recent visits it just doesn’t seem as good. A few instances that occurred during my most recent stay..
- Lack of bell and door staff on arrival
- No offer of assistance with luggage
- Some check in confusion
- Incomplete toiletries in room
- No bottled water in room on arrival
- Missed turn down service
- Broken shower
- A half eaten jam pot being delivered with breakfast
- Staff knocking on door despite ‘do not disturb’ being posted
- Staff calling my room incorrectly when trying to reach another guest
Staff are lovely, friendly and very welcoming and I get the impression its the management which might have changed, as many of the staff seem more stressed than they used to. They seem less happy.
The wonderful staff did rectify some of the issues when brought to their attention, and gave me a free airport transfer – but its not about the money. At this standard of hotel these kind of things just shouldn't happen.
Despite these issues this hotel is excellent – and is what you’d expect of a 5 star hotel – but it is fast losing the ‘extra’ service that helps it command such high rates.
If they want to keep their high rates then they need to deliver exceptional service above and beyond what you’d get at the MANY other 5 star hotels in the City – if they don’t, then you might as well choose somewhere else at half the price like the Banyan Tree or Sofitel which are both very close by.
Finally, a word about the spa – it is excellent. My treatments with Wut were amazing and all the spa staff are 1st class. Some of the best treatments I’ve experienced anywhere in the world. Highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- COLONNADE, all-day dining restaurant features live cooking stations, Carving Trolley and a wide selection of Western and Asian favorites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, TravelClick, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, HRS, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Sukhothai Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sukhothai Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Sukhothai Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Sukhothai Hotel