“Good Chocolate afternoon tea”

The Sukhothai Bangkok
Ranked #30 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We love the afternoon spent at the hotel with the lovely chocolate afternoon tea buffet. Both the savory and the sweet items were of good quality. The freshly blended hot chocolate added a personal touch to the event. Great choice for chocolate lovers..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Travelogist_HK,

Thank you very much for writing us a mouthwatering review of Chocolate Buffet at Lobby Salon.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed choosing the best selection of chocolates from around the world for your personalize hot chocolate drink. Our hot savouries and sweet pastries also could perfectly satisfy your taste buds.

We wish to welcome you back to Lobby Salon, The Sukhothai Bangkok soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Sukhothai Bangkok is a marvel in terms of design and aesthetics. The ambience is subtle and absolutely charming. The front-desk and restaurant staff are all trained to remember guests' names, and they all are professional in keeping with the standard of the hotel. But several things were just not right. The bed in my room was unevenly worn out: the side facing the television was sunken in due to the fact that previous guests slept on that side to watch television. The other side of the bed was firmer and resilient, and yet if one lies on that side, reflections on the TV screen appear (the TV is built in within a glass frame, and you cannot turn it to a different angle). The bed either is old or needs to be turned regularly.

The second thing that bothered me was housekeeping. On the second day of my stay, I came back to the room in the afternoon and made myself coffee in the expresso machine. When coffee was done, there was no creamer (it was not replenished) and by the time I called reception and got someone to deliver the creamer, the coffee was cold (no way to reheat it). On the third day, both coffee and creamer were not replenished. Along the corridors, I met a housekeeper to deliver that, and I left the room. Later I learned that coffee cubes were replenished but not the creamer! Mind you, I have been tipping housekeeping every day and yet the service was sloppy. On the 4th day, I took a bath, but once I got out of the tub, I realized the bathrobes were not replenished! (one was taken away the previous day, and the second taken in the morning). I had taken coffee, creamer & bathrobe for granted, assuming that these would always be there after the room is made up. I am usually not petty but once you are wet or cold without bathrobe or when your tiny cup of expresso gets cold waiting for creamer, things seem not right. No doubt, once you call reception, things would be delivered. But I dont think I should call every day for 3 days just to get those things right. And mind you too, this is not a busy period: tourism has slowed down in the last two months when the Thai military took over. The hotel management trains the front desk and service staff, but completely misses out on back-stage housekeeping services.

BTW, location-wise, you need to walk 20 minutes cross Sathorn to Saladaeng to get to the nearest BTS mass transit station. Most guests take cabs, but if you try to catch a cab from elsewhere to return to the hotel, some drivers take advantage of fleecing customers because they think you are very wealthy staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hilltriber

Dear Hilltriber,

Thank you very much for your comments about the bed and also the service of our Housekeeping team. Your precious feedback will help us improving our service and we do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you very much for your kind understanding and we wish to welcome you back to The Sukhothai Bangkok.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I just stayed at The Sukhothai Bangkok last weekend for 2 nights. My last stay in this property was 8 - 10 years ago. I am happy to report the hotel is every bit as elegant and beautiful as I remembered it to be. It is simply an oasis in the bustling city of Bangkok.

We didn't leave the hotel for 48 hours so we ate at their La Scala, Caledon, Colonnade, Pool Terrace restaurants. The food quality is of a very high standard. The service is impeccable. Special mention to K. Big and the pool boys team, K. Anchi of Colonnade, the waiting team of Caledon and La Scala. They are all great ambassadors to this amazing hotel.

Oh yes.... We stayed in the Executive Suite and that bathroom is still one of the best hotel bathrooms 2 decades on.

I attach 3 photos with this review: 1 of Phad Thai which I challenge anyone to find a more luxurious version in Bangkok. 1 of my favourite pastas/pizzas from La Scala Italian. 1 of my ultimate dream bathroom.

Room Tip: Pay the premium and stay in the executive suite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Edwin T,

Thank you so much for providing your time reviewing The Sukhothai Bangkok on Trip Advisor.

It is our pleasure to have you back at The Sukhothai after almost 10 years from your last visit. We are glad that you we could recall your precious memory about the exquisite service of the hotel as well as being a luxurious oasis in the heart of Bangkok.

We do hope to have a chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Impeccable staff and a really beautiful Thai welcome has meant that I have returned here half a dozen time. The hotel food is great and you are made to feel special. I travel here with my mother and they ways make such a fuss and have been so lovely, even had a suite upgrade last time which was excellent!
It's not the trendiest hotel but if you are looking for discrete class... It's the best.
Lovely pool and spa facilities.
For chocoholics the chocolate buffet is a must....set aside an afternoon :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Caroline H,

Thank you very much for spending time writing us such a great review.

We are delighted to learn that you and your mother had a wonderful stay at The Sukhothai Bangkok on November 2013. It is our pleasure to have you as our precious guests. Thank you very much for recommending our facilities including spa, pool and also our scrumptious Chocolate Buffet for a “must-try” list.

We are looking forward to your returning to The Sukhothai Bangkok soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here for three nights while in Bangkok on business. Couldn't ask for more. Centrally located, but well set back from the road and the hustle and bustle of a busy city. Outlook from my room was a lovely pond/pool, with water lilies and the sound of frogs at night. Room was well appointed, staff courteous and helpful. I had one free day for sightseeing, and the hotel arranged for a tour guide who took us to the Grand Palace, and on a river/canal trip. Tour was hassle free, reasonably priced and guide threw in a few extras free of charge (visit to flower market, fruit market etc) and with no pressure to buy (really!!!) .

Room was a good size, and well appointed. Bed comfy, and loved the bathroom. Getting the TV volume to work is a bit of an art - I suggest you call housekeeping who will with great patience tell you which button to press on the remote (it's not intuitive, and I could tell when I called this wasn't the only time the had dealt with this query!).

There were several restaurants in the hotel. Didn't try them all, as there are lots if good value options close by if you want to eat out. But plenty of choice and a pleasant setting at The Colonnade for breakfast. I also had lunch at the hotel ( ?La Scala) which was very good.

All in all - top notch!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Beanthere189,

Thank you very much for spending your time writing us a wonder review.

We all at The Sukhothai Bangkok are so pleased to learn that your recent stay with us was a good one and please accept our apologize for a minor inconvenience regarding TV volume control.

We will definitely share this beautiful review among our team and we hope to have a future opportunity to welcome you back here again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I spent one night in July (only one, unfortunately...) and it is my best experience in a luxury hotel so far. Charming and efficient staff, beautiful rooms, beds so confortable you woudn't leave the room, plus everything you can expect in this category and more. The place itself is peaceful although the location is very close to Bangkok center, the deco is tasteful, the breakfast buffet is something you wouldn't like to miss. An amazing hotel

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Olivier G,

We are so delighted to learn that you have had such the best stay here with us at The Sukhothai Bangkok for one night.

We will definitely share this 5-star review among our team and we all hope to have a future opportunity to welcome you back here again.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Shukhothai Hotel Bangkok is one of the best hotels in Bangkok. Luxury everywhere, amazing bed king size, huge buffet and nice pool. We want to make an special mention with Kovit, the bellman (concierge department). He helped us with a try of scam, he saved us! Staff like that is the difference between The Sukhothai Residences and the rest. We are so greatful!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at The Sukhothai Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Alba R,

We are so glad to hear that you have had such a wonderful stay here with us at The Sukhothai Bangkok.

We would like to show our appreciation to you for writing this wonderful review for us on our TripAdvisor page and that you have acknowledge our wonderful staff. We are so grateful on our behalf that he was able to assist your needs to ensure you a safe and convenient visit here in Bangkok.

We hope to welcome you back here again at The Sukhothai Bangkok in the near future.