“Everything as expected!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Everything as expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

Stayed here for my honeymoon and I have actually emailed in to inform them the purpose of my trip. When I reached, their staff at the concierge, Max immediately went off told us to wait a while. When he was back, he had placed a bottle of red wine and a card in the room to congratulate us.

As we stayed in the club room, we were entitled to use the club lounge and the service there, food served and everything way exceeded our expectations. Breakfast was good as we sit outdoors beside the koi pond.

On the last day before we checked out, I actually informed that it was also my wife's birthday on 21 June and requested for a small slice of cake. They promptly arranged for that and delivered to my room at 3pm sharp as requested with a card which they took the trouble to find our my wife's name and print it on the card to wish her a happy birthday.

Other than the pool which was currently under renovation which was still accessible, overall, everything and every staff there exceeded our expectations and thumbs up for their service!

Strongly recommended for all guest and please help me to thank your staff, especially Max for their wonderful hospitality and service rendered!

- Jon

Room Tip: You wont' go wrong with club room.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Bridgend, Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Just got back from a weekend stay at the Banyan Tree and the hotel was not what I was expecting in terms of the layout or scale, as others have mentioned it's tucked away off the street with no real presence, but once inside it's very nice.

Highlights would be:

Great varied breakfast choice
Lovely rooms/suites
Moon Bar
Good Service

We got a pretty good price from Expedia for a 5 star in Bangkok, so we were happy and enjoyed the stay.

Camberley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed here in April and absolutely loved it for the second time !
The spa was amazing and really did make me feel so relaxed.
The swimming pool has amazing views down onto the streets of Bangkok.
The cocktails and the views at Vertigo on the roof of the hotel is stunning !
Go there if you are in Thailand
Robin Tinto

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobinTinto
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I don't mean to be rude, it's just the truth. The banyan tree is famous for it's luxury beach resorts,this place seems to be slightly confusing for them. First off, strange building. It was previously a westin( I think). Quite some time (10 years ago) they took it over. It is a massive,tall skyscraper of a building. The first impressions are that they slapped a few rugs over the old marble, added a few of their wall hangings, touched up a bit here and there and said 'Here you go'.
The rooms though are great, huge, well laid out, brilliant bathrooms with awesome baths that look over the city, nice amenities and lovely wee touches.
To be honest that is about it, don't get me wrong they have a plethora of restaurants, a very cool roof bar and restaurant And lots more. But it's really a business hotel, the pool is tiny, and not much else.
I don't want to put people off, if you are looking for a luxury hotel with a good location, great rooms than this is perfect.
If you are on holiday than there are much better choices.
Confused review...yes, confused hotel!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Wingaba
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

The suite was big and the views from the roof terrace are stunning, but overall expectations were not met.
The check in process was initiated in the lobby, but then after a substantial delay (more than 15 min) we were told to check in on the club lounge. Given that our arrival was anticipated (we were picked up by hotel limo), I found that handling to be very poor.
I was surprised at the hotel's inability to accommodate a reservation at the Vertigo restaurant. No-one even offered to place us on a waiting list for cancellations.
My polite request for a room on "a high floor with great views" on the original reservation was ignored.
Service by club lounge receptionist was poor. She was clearly unable/unwilling to provide the ancillary service we requested (follow-up on external restaurant reservation).
Turn-down service was limited to leaving a packet of incense. No attempt to clear plate of fruit remains.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BT_Executive_Office, General Manager at Banyan Tree Bangkok, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Dear Chus_Gijon,

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor; we appreciate your taking the time to do this.

I have noted each point you have raised and would like to apologize for the shortfall in service at the point of arrival in spite of knowing of your arrival. You are correct in pointing out that we should have been ready and expedited the check-in procedure quicker. I also have spoken to the team and be assured that the necessary re-training is being instituted to prevent similar recurrences.

As I do not have your details I am unable to be specific but, Vertigo is subject to closure during inclement weather and I suspect this might have been the case. However, we do offer alternative dining venues as we have 5 very popular outlets to choose apart from Vertigo.

Chus_Gijon, our club suites are on the lower floor of the building and this is probably why you were assigned to a lower floor. Perhaps this was not communicated clearly to you. I do hope that the issues you have raised are minor in nature and that you will give us another opportunity in the future to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Bangkok. Please do not hesitate to ask for me if you wish to do so, thanks.

queensland australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

After a long three weeks of traveling we were so looking forward to a relaxing 3 nights before flying home. We booked a package and we felt from the start that we were just
An inconvenience to them. We were booked into a premier room but got a deluxe room. And after I questioned it they blatantly lied and said the deluxe floors were now the premier floors. I questioned this again the next day with another staff member and they said no that's not the case. Especially since each floor is signed. The service was just lacking. I stayed in guesthouses on my trip that cost me less than $40 a night in Asia and the service beat the banyan tree hands down

2 Thank erinrosiesmum
BT_Executive_Office, General Manager at Banyan Tree Bangkok, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Dear Erinrosiesmum,

I am writing in regards to the feedback you posted on TripAdvisor in relation to your stay at Banyan Tree Bangkok. We appreciate your taking the time to inform us about your experience.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that we have not tried to deceive you in any way. If anything, we are guilty of perhaps not explaining it to you properly.

Based on our in house audits and guest feedback, we have only very recently reorganized our room types; what are now the new Premier floors were renovated a few years ago and afford high floor views, and when combined with the standard premier room benefits such as free internet, they make it better value for money. We would have been happy to assign you to the previous Premier floors on 50th floor and 55th – 58th floor if you wanted to however, we thought you would enjoy our new room categories better. As this has just happened, we are still in the process of updating the signage etc., however, all benefits that our Premier guests enjoy are still in place. Once again, I would like to re-iterate that the intention was not to mislead you and I apologize if this was the impression that we gave out.

I also take note of your feedback regarding service quality, and I am as much disappointed as you are with this; but we will work on it and hope that you will give us another opportunity.

In the meantime, I would like to thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

Reasons to choose this hotel:
- attractive spa packages especially for staying on Club Floor with great amenities and free meals included (in fact CX Holidays' package was even cheaper, but me and my friend still perferred to book directly to the hotel)

- always enjoy staying at Banyan Tree so I thought it should be on the same level

Reasons not to stay again:
- they are tricky. they claimed "guarantee late check out until 4pm" when the booking is confirmed and even though it is stated in the welcome letter. However, while checking in, the receptionist informed our suite room was reserved on the day we depart so we have to check out not later than 2pm. however, we found out that they lied - we missed the flight bcoz of crazy traffic jam so we went back to check in again for one extra night; then they said they could give us back the same room (?). so interesting - 2 hours don't mean much to them but it means something to us coz we don't need to rush and we could enjoy the room and hotel facilities more.

- they offered us more expensive rate making us feeling that they would rather keep low occupancy than having the guests to keep staying happily while there are many choices around if i pay what they offered - so why should I stay again with the hotel who doesn't want us? in fact I asked for an extension rate for the package if staying for 2 days or more but they refused coz they said we have checked out already. i was in the hotel industry for 15 years and i absoultely know that they could reinstate our account but they just wanted more $ from us as "walk-in".

- location sucks! no BTS nearby and you must get taxi. if there is no traffic jam, just 5-8 mins to Siam or any shopping points. it took us 1 HOUR 15 MINS to get back form Siam Paragorn to the hotel which usually takes 7 mins.

Don't get me wrong - the suite was elegant, people were pleasant. Hoever, the hotel entrance is stingy coz 9 taxi drivers out of 10 didn't know where the hotel was located! If you really want to go, you must get the hotel staff to write the location in thai language so that you won't get lost with the diver.

If you just stay within you plans, that's ok coz the rooms and outlets are nice (except the swimming pool coz it is very small). However, the management sucks and this is the most disappointing Banyan Tree I have ever stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Catina2011
Dear Catina 2011,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback.

Your comments bear a striking resemblance to an online feedback that we have received around the same time as yours from a guest who stayed with us in May. I am taking the risk of assuming that we have responded immediately upon receiving your feedback. There is however, one matter that is new and which pertains to the late check out. Please accept my apologies for not affording you a late check out because, as you correctly point out, we are obliged to do so. However, the team does not seem to remember this request and we do recommend that our guests leave themselves enough time to get to the airport given Bangkok’s reputation for slow traffic.

I would once again apologize for an experience which left you overall dissatisfied, and particularly for the disappointment with our services in terms of handling your request for a new room upon returning to the hotel. We have looked into this matter and found that our associate offered you the room category you had requested at a discounted rate. That was still the best rate we could offer, I am very sorry that we could not give you a better deal and while I realize that this short note will not make the letdown go away, it is still my hope that you will accept it as a sincere apology.

On a last note, I wanted to thank you for commending the associate trainee that looked after you; your positive feedback will go a long way in encouraging him to continue to work with the level of dedication and professionalism that you experienced and praised. Thank you again.

In renewing our apologies, we hope that you will not let this one stay tarnish your perception of our hotel completely, and that you will give us other opportunities in the future to be of service to you again.