“Excellent choise”

Ranked #26 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Athens, Greece
“Excellent choise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

We stayed 3 days at Banyan tree-Bangkok before continuing our vacation to Koh-Samui.
We selected this hotel due to the fact that in the past we have stayed to other Banyan tree hotels and we knew their standards of quality. For us it was warranty!
We had a deluxe room in the 47th floor. Our room was very spacious and split into 2 areas (living room and bedroom). Bathroom was very big as well very clean and with all the amenities. The beds had the perfect pillows that someone can ask for (something that is hard to find even in expensive resorts) and the room had really magnificent view of Bangkok city.
Unlike some reports, we found that the staff was always very friendly with us and very polite, willing to serve any of our needs.
We loved the amazing variety on the breakfast buffet as well as the small tropical garden in the outside area, with a small lake full of fishes and turtles, where someone could have his breakfast nearby (we certainly did!)
We loved swimming at the open pool in the afternoon when the city was sinking in the dark and we could see the city lights from above (21st floor).
We loved the flower bracelets they offered us upon our arrival as a warm welcome..
We loved the birthday cake they offered to my husband for his birthday, at the Vertigo restaurant...The staff also sang the happy birthday song for him :-)
In addition we found that the Hotel location was excellent...Very near located to Siam Center and Patpong area...
The only complain i have, is that the internet access must be free and all day long available at a 5star hotel. There was an internet access point at the business lobby but you had to pay 100 bh for 10 minutes and the service was available until 20.00 only.
I have only good memories from this beautiful chic hotel and for us it was not only an excellent choise but also best value for money. We will definetly return!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,081)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Muscat Governorate, Oman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

Family and I stayed for 2 nights in a Club room. Huge and quite luxurious. The best hotel bed I have ever slept in (and I've slept in many). Pre-booked by email a dinner table at Vertigo and a babysitter for our children before we arrived - everything was organized without any hiccups. The babysitter cost 2,000 baht for 3 hours.

Swimming pool is fairly small and nothing special. The rooftop restaurant Vertigo was good but felt that the Lebua hotel's was better.

The only point on the negative side was the queue for the breakfast buffet - around a 30 minute wait for a table. The Maitre'D told me this is fairly normal when the hotel is full.

Why was it a bargain though? I paid $109 per night including taxes for the Club room. Found it through myhotelguru dot com.

Overall we very much enjoyed our stay and if good rates are available again when we next visit Bangkok, then I would gladly stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

First of all, sorry for my poor English.
Two nights Staying at BT Presidential suite was my gambling. There are many other 5 star hotels (MO, FS, Peninsula ..) in Bngkok. I bet on the BT and I lost.

Very bad things
1. Men at the club lounge desk: No smile, No hospitality, businesslike, bored attitude.
Worst hospitality I've ever experienced at 5 star hotel .
2.Restless spa waiting space: Share space with pool approach, shop and jim entrance. After spa massage we drink tea in the noisy space. No afterglow.
Bad things
1.Poor maintenance room facility : Blowout lights, no hot water in the shower.
2.Spa therapists :Differ in performance. Each time same questions(Where are you from...in the same order...)
Good thing
1.Luggege handling: Airport, check in-out. Pefect.
2.Early check in: We arived at the hotel AM5:00.
Very good thing
1.Door man: lovely, evertime smiling, but do work faultlessly. GEM of BT.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KIX_Airpor
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Spent 2 nights at the Banyan Tree and although a pleasant looking hotel for the most part the service was terribly disappointing, with the exception of the concierge staff who were always helpful and friendly.

The good things:
The rooms were large and well set out.
The beds were comfortable and great black out curtains ensured a good night's sleep.
The concierge staff were extremely helpful.

The bad things:

The slack check-in and check-out. We were just handed the room key and given no information about the hotel. I don’t even recall a smile from the check-in staff.

The breakfast service was by far the most disorganized debacle I’ve ever seen. Picture queues of 20 people waiting to be seated and multiple empty tables that the staff were incapable of clearing in a reasonable time. Absolutely no service of tea, coffee or other items that needed ordering from table staff and a considerable number of empty breakfast items that never seemed to get re-stocked. A thoroughly unpleasant experience.

The rooftop bar also had poor service and though the view is pleasant the furniture is shabby, old and far from being comfortable. I would choose drinks at any other Bangkok rooftop venue (Longtable, State Tower, Le Fenix) over this one.

The swimming pool is small and unappealing.

The underhanded attempts to get guests to take things from the room that could subsequently be charged to you e.g. toiletries bags are provided in the bathroom (300THB) and the housekeeping staff would put our own toiletries into the bag as if they were trying to persuade us to take them!

The entrance to the hotel is unimpressive and like entering the back entrance for tradesmen.

The ambience of the spa area is terrible. The spa treatment rooms look onto a block of 80s build apartments and I could hear banging around from guests using the gym located above the spa rooms, telephones and staff talking. Not relaxing at all!!

The location is also not particularly great apart from it’s proximity to the Suan Lum night markets but seeing as this is closing down over the next few months there would be nothing that this hotel would be convenient for.

We booked this hotel at a 50% discounted rate and I would still not consider it good value given the poor service on offer. There are so many new hotels in Bangkok that are fantastically service-orientated I would never return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank talltaff
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

Didn't really live up to its reputation. Banyan Tree Bangkok appears to be resting on its laurels somewhat, and trading on its reputation gained some years ago when the place was new and original- now it seems a bit tired and in need of some TLC to justify the cost compared with other newer hotel options in Bangkok. Breakfast was good but there was a huge queue, more than 10min wait and staff seemed very stressed. Word of warning- if you are offered to go upstairs for the Club breakfast instead and told it is the same selection- its not, there is about half the amount of food available. It was still nice, we just felt misled slightly.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Itchyfeetinasia
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

My wife and me stayed at Banyan Tree for New Year's Eve (12/30 - 01/01). First of all: The hotel is simply beautiful, our room was spectacular. The interior designers did a great job.
So, in terms of hotel quality, I would give Banyan Trees a top score anytime. Unfortunately, our experience was spoiled by some below-average eating experiences. Vertigo was average, Taihei on New Year was outright bad, and the breakfast room was so crowded that they tried to move us into a conference room for breakfast.
All in all I would book a room in Banyan Tree again - but I will not eat in one of their restaurants (except for the great breakfast - if you are lucky enough to get a seat).

Below you find an email I wrote to the hotel's manager. I had mentioned our dinner experiences on the questionaire and he contacted me for detailed feedback. I don't know whether things have improved (I doubt it). I never got any in-depth reaction to my email, no idea if anyone cared to read the whole thing. For the more patient souls among you, here's the full account of our stay at Banyan, including the restaurants:

***snip***

Let me start with our main dinner on New Year's Eve: We had made an advance reservation at Taihei. When we arrived at the hotel, we took a look at the menu that was on display in the hotel lobby. It looked nice, with a solid, detailed selection of local and imported fish.
When we arrived at the restaurant, we had to find out that there is a restricted menu for New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, "restriction" in this case meant stripping it down to very generic choices: It was just standard Sushi and Sashimi selections, paired with standard Teppanyaki stuff. No more cool local fish, no chance to put together a diverse Japanese meal. I have no problem in a chef restriciting choice for New Year's Eve if the reason is to create something special. But offering *less* in creativity AND diversity on a day like that frankly puzzles me. In the end, we chose to share a seafood Teppanyaki and a Sashimi selection. The Sashimi selection consisted of your usual lowest-common-denominator-fish (tuna, salmon, squid, *yawn*). The Teppanyaki was the same routine you get in any other Teppanyaki joint. We were looking forward to some unique Japanese cuisine. What we got was off-the-shelf, globalised everyday food. You don't really need an experienced head chef to come up with the stuff we were served.
There wasn't anything technically wrong with he food, it was just very average and bland.
There was something severely wrong with the serving speed though. The appetizer came at the same time as our aperetif cocktails. By the time we were through with the second course and faced with the sashimi, we decided to just let it stand there for a while to give my wife the chance to actually finish her aperitif before we reach dessert. If we would have gone with the speed your staff tried to impose on us, we would have been out of the restaurant in less than 45 minutes. By eating REALLY slow, we managed to stretch it to 90 minutes and squeeze in a small bottle of Sake. I was looking forward to sampling two or three bottles but I was rushed through the dinner so fast, there was no way.
I have to admit though that, in the end, we started speeding up things a little ourselves again. There were two reasons for that: the noise and the temperature. We were seated at a table right underneath a speaker with a-little-too-loud christmal flute music, while there was some distinct dance music with a solid bass fundament coming from somewhere else. Imagine trying to have a romantic dinner with your wife while having a flute version of "Silent Night, Holy Night" intruding one ear and some Boom-Box sound invading your other ear - and all this while sitting in cold storage.
I am used to heavily air-conditioned restaurants in Thailand but Taihei topped them all. The family sitting next to us had some little girls in shoulderless dresses, sitting huddled under their napkins(!) because it was so cold. My wife had to take a hot bath afterwards, just to defrost.
On a positive note: we really loved the view and the interior decoration at Taihei. Your architects did a fabulous job (as they did with basically everything in that beautiful hotel of yours). And the staff was really friendly (just too hectic)

Unfortunately, our Taihei experience was no isolated incident. One night earlier, we had dinner at the Vertigo. It was not as bad as the Taihei but the general motive was the same: Spectacular view and decoration, friendly but hectic service, food of okayish quality but lacking any form of inspiration or creativity, plus some annoying disturbances in an otherwise perfect environment. This time it wasn't the music or the temperature. This time it was the tourists. I really appreciate having a dress code for Vertigo, more restaurants should have it. It's just pointless if you have backpack-wearing tourists in their sandals (or worse: Croqs) constantly brushing past your table to take pictures. One woman nearly whacked me in the face with her backpack when turning around to point out the great view to her husband.
I understand that you want to give everyone the opportunity to enjoy the view up there. However, come dinner time, you should restrict that to hotel guests adhering to the dress code. If they want to take pictures and not stay for dinner, fine, but they should still have to dress up for it, just out of respect for the guests who shell out quite a bit of money to have a nice, quiet dinner in style.
Again, there wasn't anything technically wrong with the food. The meat quality of the steaks was really good, the side dishes were sub-standard though. The mushrooms and the potato mash tasted watery (or, in the case of the truffled one, it tasted of cheap truffle oil - and nothing else). Everything I had at Vertigo wasn't outstandingly bad but there was no surprising element, no creativity, no inspiration. I will remember only the view, not the food.
I think you should set higher food standards for your hotel. That feeling of bland averageness I had while dining at Banyan Tree just doesn't fit in with the aspiration you have for your hotel (and the superb standard you set in your rooms).
If you want to get a feel for what I mean, take a 10-minute walk from your hotel to a place called "Eat Me", 20 metres off Convent Rd. (in Soi Pipat 2). They serve the kind of inspired, creative, outstanding fusion food I would expect in a place like Banyan Tree. I even had the opportunity to get a direct comparison. We had lunch at "Eat Me" and dinner at the Vertigo. "Eat Me" served us a spicy Cucumber/Avocado-Gazpacho. A similar kind of cold cucumber soup was served to us at Vertigo as an amuse bouche. They were lightyears apart in terms of quality and inspiration. It should put your chef to shame.

My wife kept telling me that it was to be expected to only get average food when you have a great view. With a view like that, restaurants don't have to make the effort to turn the food into a spectacle. I beg to differ. I have been to places that manage to serve great food in a spectacular environment. The River Cafe in New York springs to mind, or, to give an example of a hotel/restaurant combination: The Sierra Mar restaurant in the Post Ranch Inn in California. They serve outstanding food in what is probably the most beautiful hotel in the world (at least to my taste).
I experienced Banyan Tree as a great hotel featuring restaurants one should better avoid. Given their interior design, that is a shame. You should serve food to remember, food that makes me tell my grandchildren about our dinners at Banyan Tree. It wouldn't even cost you more. The quality of the raw materials was fine and absolutely sufficient. Your chefs just seem to lack ambition and inspiration. And your service staff has to smooth things out a little.

The only food that could really live up to the standards I would expect from Banyan Tree was the breakfast selection. It was outstanding in terms of diversity and quality (except maybe for the watered down fruit juices but now I am being picky).
Unfortunately, after having a great breakast on our first day, our experience was yet to be spoiled again on New Year's Day. I woke up early in the morning and had a nice and long breakfast. So, it was all good for me. My wife slept a bit longer and went for breakfast at around 10am. I accompanied her. The breakfast room was overcrowded, so the staff asked us to have breakfast in the "club lounge". Sounded great. The "club lounge" turned out to be full as well, so they ushered us into a huge, cold conference room. They parked us there and then forgot about us. We ordered a coffee for my wife, which never came. The buffet offered not even a fraction of the selection you got in the main breakfast room. After 20 minutes, we decided to go back there (It was 10.40 now). We managed to get a table (and a coffee for my wife!) but the staff asked us several times to hurry since the buffet would be closing down.
It makes me wonder: If you know that it is New Year's Day and your hotel is pretty packed, why don't you extend time for breakfast a little? The last thing I want to see on my vacation is yet another conference room. I spend enough time in those. It just doesn't leave a good impression, which is a shame, because breakfast at Banyan Tree was among the best I have ever had in any hotel in the world.

***snap***

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank So1ipSisT
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

Whilst most things in bangkok seem hectic, the banyan tree offers an oasis away from the hustle, bustle and general seediness of bangkok.
The door staff and concierge were excellent and couldn't do more to assist you, the rooms were lovely, spacious, clean and with great views over the city (although they wanted to charge you for the bag they left the toiletries in, with the prices they charge for the room?????)
The moon bar offers amazing views but only if the weather is right, it started to rain so the place closes; good job though the drinks are ridiculously overpriced; as is everything else in the hotel. The spa was nice, I had a really nice facial, friendly staff but nothing exceptional.
Breakfast was included and offered a great selection; eggs cooked to perfection on order. However the staff here were appalling and the serivce was extremley slow - on our first morning we were told there was no tables available and were asked to go to the club rooms, we decided to wait and when we were eventually sat saw that there were many tables free just the staff couldnt be bothered to clear them. We were offered drinks when seated and I had to ask a further 2 times before finally getting a coffee.

I know, you stay in a 5* Hotel you expect to pay and believe me that I do know; I live in Dubai and spend my life paying through the nose at 5* hotels. Whilst its a beautiful hotel, and a welcome escape from the city the banyan tree lacks consistency and just doesnt meet the expectations you have.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends