“In need of a refresh and a review of in room facilities.”

Banyan Tree Bangkok
Ranked #31 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
A TripAdvisor Member
Essex, UK
Reviewed 30 December 2010

1st day on arrival we were left in executive lounge for over an hour and half whilst the room was prepared, not great after a 12 hr flight, but rather that than a unclean room. Once in the room we discovered that there was no IPod dock. In this day and age everyone but everyone carries an iPod of some description. Why do hotel rooms not cater for this??? Also noticed the room was missing a DVD player, or connection from a laptop. Not that I come on holiday to watch DVDs, but as part of a relaxed itinerary watching the odd film, is always a bonus. Next up to the pool, I intended to spend a good quality amount of my time enjoying the sunshine at pool. I discovered that there are only 6 sun loungers, could make for an interesting bun fight tomorrow when I actually want to use one!! I am writing this whilst sat on the terrace at the latitude bar. Amazing views, Shame about the smell of cooking fat coming from the extractors... For a hotel that prides itself on aroma... This is a fantastic oversight! So that was day 1 I now have 7 more nights to go, tomorrow is NYE and I plan to celebrate it here at the hotel, just hope it lives up to the price tag.

• Stayed: December 2010
BT_Executive_Office, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

Dear Essex,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your experience.

Please allow me to apologize for the issues you have raised including the inconvenience of an extended wait on your arrival. In general this should not happen if arriving after check-in time however, it could at times happen particularly around New Year’s.

As more and more people tend to watch movies on their laptops, we notice that gadgets such as DVD players, etc clutter up the suite and are underutilized; as such, they are part of the standard set-up for certain room categories only, whereas for the remainder of the rooms they are available upon request. In terms of the sun loungers at the swimming pool, I would like to take this acknowledgement and this issue is being fixed.

I am unable to address all the issues raised as we would need you to write with more details. You may do so at reservations-bangkok@banyantree.com .

Once again, we appreciate your taking the time to give us your valuable feedback and renewed apologies if we failed to meet your expectations this time. I hope that you will give Banyan Tree Bangkok an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Banyan Tree Bangkok

Reviewed 28 December 2010

First timer in Bangkok and probably last time.
Having said this, the hotel was clean, modern, good service, nice pool on the 21st floor roof.
The suite was nice, all mod cons. Breakfast was dissapointing but the evening drinks on the 61st floor are unbelievable, 360 view of Bangkok by night, when its at its most alluring (you cant see the smog in the dark).
Good spa facilities and staff. Excellent for a couple of nights but dont stay too long, head down to Banyan Tree Samui!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I stayed in a really nice room. The severice and everything was good. But i didn't like I had to pay for the internet and there where also payed movies. Its a five star hotel so they shouldn't ask money for that. The rates of the rooms are good maybe. But a daily charge of internet and watching some movies makes the hotel much more expencive.
It may give people a more expensive holiday than they expected.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Dear Geert58,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your experience. I am glad to hear that we have provided Banyan Tree hospitality while you were staying with us.

Unfortunately, internet is an outsourced commodity for the hotel and telecommunications in Thailand is not subsidized to the extent it is in Europe. More importantly, you will find that almost all hotels in Bangkok charge for the internet and pay movies unless it is included in the room rate. However, we are already working with our external internet partner to subsidize the rates.

I appreciate your choosing Banyan Tree Bangkok and look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 14 December 2010

Stayed for 3 nights, upgraded to a club suite by the management free of charge as incompetent staff caused massive problems to our daughter trying to upgrade us as we were celebrating our silver wedding.
Very nice except kept awake by banging pipes and noisy plumbing like a basic B & B.
On 3rd night and after numerous complaints and despite being assured that problem had been rectified moved to another suite in the middle of the night.
Slept ok but poor management and incompetent staff lead to a chain reaction resulting in being left in reception with "no room" taxi sent away as not in room, the list of bad management and incompetance is endless.
Made a formal written complaint, to add to the numerous verbal complaints only to recieve a re assurance that they will be "reinforcing our training programmes" ! oh that old chestnut.
For the money you pay you can do much better, try somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
BT_Executive_Office, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

Below is an excerpt from the hotel’s communiqué with the guest sent out prior to his/her posting:

Dear Mr. YarcoNorfolk,
Thanks for writing back and I am sorry to hear that you found my response unsatisfactory. My intention was not just to appease you with mere words but, more to underline the hotel’s intention to acknowledge your complaint and inform you of the steps it had already taken to recover the situation. I do regret the noisy pipes in your suite and we have taken steps to fix the matter. I admit that the departure experience was more human error of communication. As any good organization, we take guest feedback seriously and spend time training as this is the best way to avoid recurrence. Unfortunately, these issues do occur despite our best intentions and training.
I was hoping that you would see the hotel’s initiative to give you a complimentary upgrade for your special occasion and a 50% discount off your only spend in the hotel as a token of our apology and sincerity. Clearly, you did not find this adequate compensation. However, I can understand your frustration and nothing I say or do is going to change this stay with us.
Mr. YarcoNorfolk, given your continued dissatisfaction, we have already sent you (prior to this posting) a suggestion of compensation to your personal address and we look forward to your response. I do hope that you will find this gesture adequate and accept it as a token of our sincere apologies. We have learnt from it and hope that it give you enough confidence to visit us again.

Reviewed 13 December 2010

We arrived at the Banyan Tree for our honeymoon in November.

All I can say is that I loved the Banyan Tree and I would definately stay there again.
The hotel is amazing - as we were on honeymoon, we were upgraded to the premier suite and it was such a lovely room - a lounge area, a huge bathroom etc.

The staff were very friendly and were attentive to all our needs.
The hotel itself was clean, the maids always tending to our rooms should we request this,

The vertigo bar on the rooftop is one of the best views you can have of Bangkok with a great selection of cocktails.

The swimming pool is on the 23rd floor which is mind boggling to be swimming so far up!

All in all, a great experience!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I have been a fan of Banyan Tree and once again, at Banyan Tree Bangkok, it did not fail to disappoint. We arrived to the smiles and greeting of a very pleasant and happy doorman. We booked a 2 bedroom Banyan Suite as had 3 adults and 2 teenagers. The Suite is huge with ample space for everyone to move aroound. No fighting for the TV as there were 3 sets. The master bath shower also had steam facility and it's great to be able to relax and move around a spacious bathroom.

Food was great as well. Enjoyed room service (kids were too tired to eat out after shopping) as it was really tasty. We also ordered Pad Thai and the taste was good and authentic. Breakfast spread was also great!

One thing not to be missed is the Banyan Tree Spa. Although a little pricier than the massages found in Bangkok, it is one of the best that I've tried. My family and kids especially really enjoyed it and said it's the best.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Stayed at the Banyan Tree Bangkok for 3 nights over a weekend at the beginning of December and from the moment we arrived at the hotel we were greeted happy smiling staff who really know how to make their customers feel welcome. Staying in a club room on the 27th floor the rooms were spacious, clean and very inviting. The food at breakfast was varied with tastes to suit many different nationalities (unfortunatly my wife would not allow me to have ice cream which was on offer at Breakfast!)

We used the Spa on 2 occasions and had some great experiences, the reception staff and massurers were great fully understanding our requirements and we both had a fully relaxing time

Had a few drinks at the moon bar on the 61st floor ... great view and a great venue but at that hight .. soft drinks only for me !

The only problem i had is with the hotel's insistance that all public areas must be the same tempreture as the inside of a freezer .. why ... really people have to learn i dont want to have to put a winter coat on everytime i leave my hotel room and when i get my hot breakfast i want it still to be hot my the time i get back to my table! Hot tea for breakfast .. no chance unless you drink it within the first 5 seconds

With the Banyan Tree's focus i cannot understand why they have the aircon so cold (I am originally from England so im used to the cold but this was not good).

Anyway ... great hotel .. great staff ... but dont forget a good winter coat!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple