Banyan Tree Bangkok
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
6,988 results
All reviewsmoon barvertigo restaurantthe club loungesaffron restaurantrooftop restaurantour honeymoonone bedroom suitebooked a club roomturn down serviceamazing hotelbusiness districtwelcome drinklumpini parkluxury hoteltuk tukspaincense
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 December 2010

I always use Tripadvisor before booking any hotel so I was aware of the mixed reviews for BT Bangkok. Basically, you get what you pay for. As a family of 4 adults wanting luxury, one look at the price for the basic suites told us that it may not have everything we wanted (the price of the basic rooms at Mandorin Oriental & Peninsula where we have stayed previously are much higher).

We wanted Club Room facilities (which the Peninsula does not have) so chose a 2 bed Grand Banyan Suite & it was absolutely amazing. Tip - I called the hotel directly before booking as comments on this site suggest that some rooms need upgrading but was re-assured that all the 2 bed suites were newly refurbished & I have to say that it was one of the best suites we have ever had & definitely up to the standard of other Banyan Tree hotels we have stayed at.

Suite consited of 2 large bedrooms, 2 fabulous bathrooms, lounge, dining room & kitchen. 4 huge flat screen tv's 3 gorgeous daybeds & all the usual electronic gadgets. It really was worth paying the extra as so many little treats included - not just free drinks & food in the Club lounge but laundry, internet, massages - the list goes on. We could have breakfast, afternoon tea & cocktails & canapes served in our own dining room if we didn't want to be in the Club lounge (which we found a little busy & noisy). One thing to note is that the snacks on offer in the Club lounge are just that - little hors d'oevres & canapes - not the constant supply that you get in some other Club lounges where you can eat so much that you don't need any other food but then part of the joy of Bangkok is the choice of all the wonderful places to eat.

Had dinner at both the Vertigo restaurant & Sirocco (64th floor of Lebua) - both are fabulous. We enjoyed the meal & the price more at Vertigo meal although the setting & view at Sirocco is the more spectacular (but then so are the prices). If we had to choose only 1 to visit, would probably be Sirocco. Tip - if having drinks only, don't go to Sirocco before sunset - wait until the Moon bar opens at 6pm (otherwise you will have to sit at the outside bar which is not as spectacular). Also, if you only want a light meal, try going to Vertigo late (after 9:30 or 10:00pm) as they offer cheaper, light meals than they do earlier in the evening. One slight disadvantage of the location of BT is that there are not so many restaurants in the area. We loved the restaurant next door at the Sukkhothai & also a fabulous place 5 mins walk away called Baan Khanitha (ask concierge for directions) - lovely decor & amazing Thai food at excellent prices.

We payed for the hotel limousine to callect us from the airport - it is MUCH more expensive than a local taxi but we wanted the convenience of a smooth arrival & it was worth it - cold towells & water was provided as well as a very informative driver but I would recommend getting the hotel to book a local taxi for the return.

We have always stayed on the river before which is so convenient so having to get taxis everywhere was a bit more difficult as Bangkok was as full capacity over the Christmas period & the traffic was at its worse. Watch out for unscrupulous drivers - after being driven north by a taxi when we had asked to go south (he wanted to fill up at a particular petrol station) & taking nearly 2 hours to get from Grand Palace to hotel (normally takes 25 mins) we always kept a map with us so we ccould check where they were going. This really helped as 2 taxi drivers got lost & had to ask us for directions!

Beware of scams near the Grand Palace - we arrived at the pier near the palace only to be told by numerous "helpful" guides that the complex was closed due to heavy numbers or it being "Buddha Day" They then try to usher you along the road where they say they can arrange a fantastic alternative. Hoardes of people followed them but we decided to walk on to the Palace anyway & found out that it was open as normal.

We tried to find the night market near Lumpini Park (taxis & hotel staff still recommend it) but it has recently closed down so now the only choice is Patpong night market so we didn't bother with that.

As well as hotel spa, tried out the Healthland Spa which is about 10 minutes along the street & found this to be excellent (both quality & price). Have never seen Bangkok this busy but it is still the most amazing place & the people are as welcoming & wonderful as ever. Cannot comment on standard rooms at BT but don't hesitate if you want luxury in the Grand Suites. The staff were excellent, as they always are at BT properties.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Essex, UK
Reviewed 30 December 2010

1st day on arrival we were left in executive lounge for over an hour and half whilst the room was prepared, not great after a 12 hr flight, but rather that than a unclean room. Once in the room we discovered that there was no IPod dock. In this day and age everyone but everyone carries an iPod of some description. Why do hotel rooms not cater for this??? Also noticed the room was missing a DVD player, or connection from a laptop. Not that I come on holiday to watch DVDs, but as part of a relaxed itinerary watching the odd film, is always a bonus. Next up to the pool, I intended to spend a good quality amount of my time enjoying the sunshine at pool. I discovered that there are only 6 sun loungers, could make for an interesting bun fight tomorrow when I actually want to use one!! I am writing this whilst sat on the terrace at the latitude bar. Amazing views, Shame about the smell of cooking fat coming from the extractors... For a hotel that prides itself on aroma... This is a fantastic oversight! So that was day 1 I now have 7 more nights to go, tomorrow is NYE and I plan to celebrate it here at the hotel, just hope it lives up to the price tag.

• Stayed: December 2010
BT_Executive_Office, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

Dear Essex,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your experience.

Please allow me to apologize for the issues you have raised including the inconvenience of an extended wait on your arrival. In general this should not happen if arriving after check-in time however, it could at times happen particularly around New Year’s.

As more and more people tend to watch movies on their laptops, we notice that gadgets such as DVD players, etc clutter up the suite and are underutilized; as such, they are part of the standard set-up for certain room categories only, whereas for the remainder of the rooms they are available upon request. In terms of the sun loungers at the swimming pool, I would like to take this acknowledgement and this issue is being fixed.

I am unable to address all the issues raised as we would need you to write with more details. You may do so at reservations-bangkok@banyantree.com .

Once again, we appreciate your taking the time to give us your valuable feedback and renewed apologies if we failed to meet your expectations this time. I hope that you will give Banyan Tree Bangkok an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 December 2010

First timer in Bangkok and probably last time.
Having said this, the hotel was clean, modern, good service, nice pool on the 21st floor roof.
The suite was nice, all mod cons. Breakfast was dissapointing but the evening drinks on the 61st floor are unbelievable, 360 view of Bangkok by night, when its at its most alluring (you cant see the smog in the dark).
Good spa facilities and staff. Excellent for a couple of nights but dont stay too long, head down to Banyan Tree Samui!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I stayed in a really nice room. The severice and everything was good. But i didn't like I had to pay for the internet and there where also payed movies. Its a five star hotel so they shouldn't ask money for that. The rates of the rooms are good maybe. But a daily charge of internet and watching some movies makes the hotel much more expencive.
It may give people a more expensive holiday than they expected.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Dear Geert58,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your experience. I am glad to hear that we have provided Banyan Tree hospitality while you were staying with us.

Unfortunately, internet is an outsourced commodity for the hotel and telecommunications in Thailand is not subsidized to the extent it is in Europe. More importantly, you will find that almost all hotels in Bangkok charge for the internet and pay movies unless it is included in the room rate. However, we are already working with our external internet partner to subsidize the rates.

I appreciate your choosing Banyan Tree Bangkok and look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 14 December 2010

Stayed for 3 nights, upgraded to a club suite by the management free of charge as incompetent staff caused massive problems to our daughter trying to upgrade us as we were celebrating our silver wedding.
Very nice except kept awake by banging pipes and noisy plumbing like a basic B & B.
On 3rd night and after numerous complaints and despite being assured that problem had been rectified moved to another suite in the middle of the night.
Slept ok but poor management and incompetent staff lead to a chain reaction resulting in being left in reception with "no room" taxi sent away as not in room, the list of bad management and incompetance is endless.
Made a formal written complaint, to add to the numerous verbal complaints only to recieve a re assurance that they will be "reinforcing our training programmes" ! oh that old chestnut.
For the money you pay you can do much better, try somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
BT_Executive_Office, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

Below is an excerpt from the hotel’s communiqué with the guest sent out prior to his/her posting:

Dear Mr. YarcoNorfolk,
Thanks for writing back and I am sorry to hear that you found my response unsatisfactory. My intention was not just to appease you with mere words but, more to underline the hotel’s intention to acknowledge your complaint and inform you of the steps it had already taken to recover the situation. I do regret the noisy pipes in your suite and we have taken steps to fix the matter. I admit that the departure experience was more human error of communication. As any good organization, we take guest feedback seriously and spend time training as this is the best way to avoid recurrence. Unfortunately, these issues do occur despite our best intentions and training.
I was hoping that you would see the hotel’s initiative to give you a complimentary upgrade for your special occasion and a 50% discount off your only spend in the hotel as a token of our apology and sincerity. Clearly, you did not find this adequate compensation. However, I can understand your frustration and nothing I say or do is going to change this stay with us.
Mr. YarcoNorfolk, given your continued dissatisfaction, we have already sent you (prior to this posting) a suggestion of compensation to your personal address and we look forward to your response. I do hope that you will find this gesture adequate and accept it as a token of our sincere apologies. We have learnt from it and hope that it give you enough confidence to visit us again.