“Honestly, can't see what the fuzz is about...”

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #10 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“Honestly, can't see what the fuzz is about...”
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I live in Bangkok and decided to have a quick one night small getaway with my wife and selected the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.

Can't fault the location, direct Skytrain access and right on Sukhumvit, we decided to drive though.

Parking was ok, check in was ok only. The person was not rude, but not nice either.

Understand that different people are looking for different things, but as I started this review, I can't see the big deal with this hotel.

I can see that the 'overall package' is ok/somewhat nice but far from a 5 star presentation.

The biggest issue I have is the look and design of the hotel, I was surprised to see how dated some things are, including the room (which by the way was on the smaller side).

I have stayed at other 5 star properties in Bangkok ranging from Marriott to Le Meridien to Lebua etc and this can not compare, both in terms of presentation and also the value you get (this was more expensive than most of the above).

Maybe my expectations were set to high after checking previous reviews, but all in all, I was not too impressed.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank birddogilainen
, Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
Dear birddogilainen,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your opinion. I was concerned to read that your experience was not up to your expectation.

As I always welcome feedback, I would be happy to speak with you direct. Should you wish to, you can reach me in my office at 02 649 8101

With best regards,

Richard Chapman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Wellington
Reviewed 15 April 2011

After arriving after a 13 hour flight and late at night, the staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. The room was comfortable if somewhat old fashioned in decor. The bathroom was large and water pressure good, even though a lot of water seemed to escape out the door!!. The pillows were wonderful and I slept for 12 hours straight...very unlike me!!

The pool area was delightful...many hidden and private spots for such a small pool. The breakfast was vast although quite pricey...would have liked the option of a latte instead of a themos of coffee at that price 900bt.

Great location just off the BTS, so made travelling around a breeze. Said that internet was an extra charge but somehow I managed to get free Wifi in room, so was very happy about that. Maybe it was because they were changing over systems the nights I was staying there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Good rooms, nice pool area & outside seating area where you can take breakfast or lunch. I was there for business so didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the facilities too much but it looked good! In any other city this would be one of the absolute best properties - the problem in Bangkok is the competition is so tough. All in all though a great property in a great location. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Over the past 10 years I've stayed at this hotel more than 30 times. In recent years it has been in the company of my new wife. We are well known and while the staff are never overly familiar, the manner in which we are quietly looked after makes us know they are making an effort.

Where do I start? Great location on Sukhumvit Road with both the BTS and underground stations only meters away. And no need to descend to street level. There has been an above ground walkway for the last few years. This also connects the hotel to the next door Times Square and Robinsons department store across the road.

Fantastic pool. Without doubt the best pool I relaxed in or around. Wonderful tropical plants and atmosphere and attentive service. There is a poolside restaurant that operates most of the year. Nice hot spa and jacuzzi as well.

It has been sometime since I used the spa however it was world class, the best I've ever enjoyed. I recall the quiet and calming ambience and the bliss that only a truly professional aromatherapy massage can bring. Time for a deep sleep afterwards.

The rooms are extra large. I am always allocated a room high up and overlooking the pool and nearby lake. Only expressed this preference once many years ago and don't have to ask again. The rooms and hotel are well maintained and the amenity items first class. I recommend taking the room rate with breakfast, butler service and evening cocktails included.

It's great to wake and order tea or coffee from the butler for the price of a tip. Sit back in bed, slowing sipping away and let the day unfold at your pace. Then to breakfast. Quite simply the best in the world. I've lived in hotels for more than a collective 5 years and know my 5 star hotel breakfasts, and this is the best. (It could be improved if the veal sausage was replaced with beef or pork, and there was hot sauteed mushrooms, but why should I impose my preferences.) Late last year my wife and I sat down to breakfast after not staying at the hotel for 10 months. Much to our surprise our breakfast attendant who I am sure I had never seen before asked if we would like two lattes as usual. Very impressed indeed, and yes, we had the lattes.

This is a great hotel and we thoroughly recommend it for couples, the discerning travellers and business folks.

Enjoy.

Room Tip: Grab a passionfruit drink with your breakfast.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
SGSGM, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your 30 plus visits. We appreciate your loyalty and taking the trouble to write your comments. Certainly, I would agree that our location and ease of access to the railway system and our pool oasis are big benefits. But I believe that the soft stuff is even more important than the hard stuff, that is why we constantly remind our associates to provide the highest level of service. The breakfast sausages will be rotated to include beef and pork, as well as the veal and chicken. I always welcome guest feedback, so that we can further enhance our guest experience. Thank you so much.

Best regards,

st ives cornwall uk
Reviewed 13 April 2011

This is still the best hotel in Bangkok, the service is second to none. we are only on our 6th visit to the Sheraton but each time its just as good as the first.
You will not find a better breakfast anywhere in the world its just the best, my wife asked if she could have some sushi for the next mornings breakfast. Well we came down to a very busy service the waitress took us to a table and without us saying anything out came the chopsticks followed by this fantastic sushi now thats service. Big thank you to the young restaurant manager.
As said by others the pool is great you could be on a beach if it was not for the lack of sand.
And the rooms are large clean and very comfortable, they even asked if we would like to leave a bag at the hotel while we went down to Bali for 2 weeks.This we did and left all our jackets etc that we came over from the UK in great idea.
The only gripe I have is we have only in the past stayed during the week but this trip on the way back from Bali we stayed over a weekend. And as a SPG guest you get the free cocktails and mini buffet served in the Barsu bar but only during the week, on the saturday evening we were there just after 6 and the first thing the barmaid asked was if we were staying at the hotel not the best greeting. We had our drinks but no nibbles, in walks a guy in shorts and flip flops sits at the bar and has a cocktail i understand there is a dress code but nothing was said.
The next night off we went down only to find it was closed altogether.
I just think a little slip in the great service we usually get and a little more information would have been good.
This is me being very picky but it would have saved us time getting changed etc.
This is still our number 1 hotel and hope to stay again very soon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrisebabes
Stockton on Tees, UK
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I lived in Bangkok in the late 90's and remembered the opening of the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and always hoped I would get a chance to stay there one day. I stayed here for 1 week with my sister to experience BKK once again.

I have been back to BKK on a number of occasions since I lived here and stayed at the Banyan Tree and the Penninsula but decided this time to give the Sheraton a try.

The location is brilliant, perfect for life on Sukhumvit, my favourte part of BKK. The river is great and is easily reached via the Skytrain, right outside the door of the hotel, but it is, in my opinion, better to stay in "town" (i.e Sukhumvit) to get a true picture of life in BKK. There is so much to do within yards of the hotel - bars, restaurants, shopping, nightlife as well as lovely restaurants and bars within the hotel itself.

Our room, a twin grande deluxe, was huge and well appointed, with a lovely bathroom, walk in closet and extremely comfortable beds. We were lucky to have butler service, always prompt and unobtrusive, along with evening cocktails that could be taken in any of the hotel bars between 18:00 & 20:00. The staff in the bars and restaurants were excellent and very attentive.

I met the manager, Richard Chapman, who made it his buiness to speak to many of the guests individually, to make sure their stay was the best it could be - very impressive service indeed.

I am looking forward to my next trip back to BKK when I am sure to choose the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit as the best place to stay when in BKK. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2011

This was my 88 visit to the grand hotel.
I think that says a lot. When you can keep returning to a hotel so many times and still find it an exciting place to visit.
The hotel has everything you could want for a leisure or business stay.
It has great restaurants,a great Jazz bar, a wine bar come night spot called Barsu, a pool area that makes you think you are in a tropical resort, and a fantastic spa.
The hotel isconnected to the BTS by a walkway and just across the road from the MRT, so getting around Bangkok is a breeze.
The best thing this hotel has is a heart, and wonderful staff led by one of the most professional Hotel General Managers in the World. Mr Chapman.
The staff remember your name, all your likes and dislikes, and make you feel like they want you to enjoy your stay and return over and over again.
As a Starwood Platinum Guest, you receive free drinks in the living room, whilst listening to the wonderful Jazz of Randy Cannon and his associates.
There is not much more you could want from a 5 star hotel than what this hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: Dine in Basil, a truely wonderful expression of T.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
SGSGM, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for returning to the hotel for your 88th visit and, in particular, for going to the trouble of sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

Yes, we do believe that the hotel does possess everything a visitor needs. Although convenient access to the skytrain and subway systems is a definite plus, the whole team focuses on delivering a highly personalized service to every guest at each touch point. Apart from our award-winning restaurants, we feel it is important to have quality musicians performing in the Living Room at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you and our readers to the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit for an exceptional and indigenous experience.

Best regards,