Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #8 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This is a great hotel. From the front door, to the restaurants, to the bathroom...luxury is apparent everywhere. The rooms are very spacious. The service quality is impeccable and te restaurants provide good food for all palates. Direct access to the train is a huge plus, since Bangkok traffic never seems to let up. The hotel is convenient to shopping, restaurants and massage parlors.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
SGSGM, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Dear TNgirl55,

It is with thanks that I reply as my team and I are grateful for your kind words. We thank you for the feedback and constantly strive to provide our guests with an incomparable stay

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I've been staying in Bangkok most weekends since the new year, with most recent stays being at the Oriental, Peninsula and Marriott on Sukhumvit.

We'd had a good meal in the Thai fusion type restaurant at the Sheraton last weekend, which reminded me to put the SGS back on my "to stay" list, having stayed there half a dozen or so occasions in the last few years.

Booked the late deal on SPG for circa 5400 baht a night. 1600 baht cheaper than my corporate rate at the Peninsula, and 1500 baht more expensive than our usual rate at the Marriott just up the road. Except I'd forgotten that the Marriott and Pen both include wifi in room and breakfast.

So I was reassured about the choice when I checked my SPG "upcoming stays" online before arrival and the "stay details" clearly said it included "buffet breakfast" and wifi. Except it didn't! At check in I was told the rate excluded both breakfast and wifi. So much for SPG and so much for "loyalty recognition" with 227 nights at SPG hotels since 2005.

Bog standard room, although it does have "SPG preferred guest" on the lift button to make you feel better.

Concierge was helpful sorting some cinema tickets. We returned to the room and ordered room service. The food was simply awful. Greasy microwave chicken pieces (pre cooked from 7/11 perhaps?) - absolutely tasteless. I sent the food back and went to bed hungry and seriously pi##ed off.

Overall - a hotel that is short on value, has a flawed/ misleading reservation information website and can't prepare even the most basic thai food.

Lesson learned.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
SGSGM, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for returning to the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your meal at basil, where our chefs respect authentic Thai recipes but give it a contemporary creative touch to it.

I was concerned over the confusion as to the inclusions in your on-line booking. Please allow me to clarify, the room rate clearly states that it is room only. However when you went to check your reservation later under “upcoming stays” it showed that we had allocated a room on a premium deluxe floor, where breakfast and WIFI is included in the rate. In essence we had allocated you a room on that floor, which is on SPG floor in recognition of your loyalty, but without the additional services. I apologize for the confusion between the room type confirmed of room only at the time of booking and the room allocated in the system under “upcoming stay”.

I was very concerned to read the poor quality of your in-room dining experience. This has been taken up by management to ensure that this does not re-occur. We certainly pride ourselves in preparing freshly cooked food to the highest level of food safety requirements, texture and taste. May I thank you for bringing in to my attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I always liked the hotel, it is central and elegant. Now it seems that SPG Platinum members will not receive their advantages (free breakfast, evening cocktails, upgrades and gift) when the room is redeemed. I hope I am wrong but if that is the case obviously I will not stay here anymore. Staying at least 50 nights in a single chain room per year is quite an effort to get to Platinum staus and Starwood shouldn't compromise, never.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Granviaggio

Dear Granviaggio,

Thank you for your generously worded review. In regard to your comment as to what benefits you will be entitled to as a Platinum member at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, when redeeming points, allow me to clarify. You will be entitled to an upgrade to a suite, subject to availability upon check-in, as well as all the amenities, including breakfast, cocktails and late checkout, free local phone calls and complimentary high speed internet access in the guest room as before.

I do hope that this puts your mind at rest and clarifies any misunderstanding. We certainly value very much our Platinum guests and will continue to provide the same level of service and hospitality as before.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

A stunning hotel, had a beautiful room on the 22nd floor overlooking the pool. The staff were so polite and very helpful, extremely professional, and nothing was any bother to them. The garden by the pool is a little oasis in the middle of the city, it is simply stunning, sitting there under the trees for a drink or a meal, it is impossible to know that you are in the centre of Bangkok. We had a full thai massage in the health suite, and again the staff were impecable. The breakfast? Well where do we start.......you have a choice of the dining room or by the pool, and we believe there is a third dining area which we did not have time to visit. The food is one of the largest buffets we have ever seen, the choice is unbelievable. We had an evening meal in the pool area, which was beautiful, the ambience was perfect. Try the Mango Sticky Rice.......to die for!!!! Were sad to leave but will be back again. Food and drink is a little on the expensive side but no more than you would expect at a good hotel. Make sure you take the breakfast package with the room. Free wifi in the public areas and by the pool, but you pay in the bedrooms. There was a lot of business people staying here but also very good for couples, not many, if any, families with children while we were there.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking pool area for a great view of the city
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear marknic63,

Thank you for your generous comments regarding your stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. We strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and I am sure that your feedback will be encouragement to all the staff. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

I love this hotel. The rooms are huge, the bed is comfy with fluffy pillows, the location to the Skytrain station is covered (a huge plus), the staff are friendly, there are a few good spas within walking distance, the pool area feels like you are in a tropical getaway and you could forget that you are in the middle of the city. The only downside is that during peak hour Sukhumvit Rd can get very congested...my advice catch the Skytrain whenever possible.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Travel_mama_sgp,

We appreciate your loyalty and support for the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Here at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, we strive to provide exceptional customer service to all of our guests and your kind comments have been passed on to the team to recognize their efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I felt like a queen here in our interconnecting corner rooms on the 23 rd floor. Great beds huge marble bathrooms. Direct axcess to the monorail. The pool is ok not much space around it.
The hotel is attached to a large car park so when one enters or leaves the lobby area there are strong fumes of motor vehicles exhaust. This was a problem for me. And is the only reason I would not stay here again...also because the Siam Kepinski has now opened. but if you need large rooms these Re the biggest I have seen in 35 yrs of traveling

Room Tip: Corner rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsWorldly

Dear mrswordly,

May I thank you for your comments. Certainly all our Standard rooms at 45 sq.m. are the largest in town. I was concerned to read of your being affected by exhaust fumes from cars drawn up at the Porte Cochere. To mitigate this, we permit cars to remain outside the main doors only for the short duration of pick-up or drop-off of guest.

I hope that you will reconsider your decision not to return, as we value you as a guest and will do our best to minimize any exhaust fumes.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Myself and a friend enjoyed the Royal Suite for 5 nights during the end of October,2011. What a pleasant experience. Check in was lightning fast and painless. Our suite was outstanding. Lavishly furnished with beautiful silks, woods, and marble, but not at all gaudy. And perfect for entertaining. Which we did every night. Room service was quick, efficient and delicious. And the service was as good as it gets. Really enjoyed the breakfast buffet, and the swimming pool was a truly unique masterpiece. Felt more like floating on the edge of a tropical lagoon shaded by palms, than a resort swimming pool. There is no feeling whatsoever that you are right in the middle of downtown in one of the world's most populated cities. Poolside service was excellent as well. As was the service from every single staff member. Which reminds me...I can't say enough kind words about our driver, Boom. He was knowledgeable, professional, friendly, and always where he needed to be at the right time. They don't get any better. All guests are made to feel like a VIP. There are no negatives to share regarding this hotel. It's clear that it deserves it's rating. Bravo SGS! Will be returning this May.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
SGSGM, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Dear MARSZZ,

Thank you for sharing your experience through TripAdvisor.

The voice of customers is critical in maintaining our high standards and I am pleased to read about the positive interactions you had during your stay with us. Our biggest asset of the hotel is our people and I am happy to hear that we were able to enhance your trip and make it memorable.

With Kind Regards,