“Our favourite luxury hotel in Bangkok”

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #9 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Our favourite luxury hotel in Bangkok”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We love this hotel. When you want luxury, this hotel has it. The staff are friendly and helpful. The location (walk from Asok Skytrain station without even leaving shelter!) is perfect for great restaurants. There's even good jazz at the weekend. Our favourite thing? The outdoor pool on the third floor, which is a surreal experience (see the picture), swimming between tropical vegetation in the middle of Bangkok with recorded music and wildlife sounds! You can even do lengths in the cleverly designed pool. They've tucked in a straight bit just under the hotel. And the second favourite is the breakfast around the pool - only at weekends in the off season but all week in peak.The staff are always helpful and will sort anything out for you; repairs, recommendations for restaurants, etc. If you need a good base for business or to have a bit of luxury while in Bangkok, this is it.

Room Tip: Get yourself on the Starwood Preferred programme and you'll get one of the upper floors, as well...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear APM_Oxford,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for the time that you have taken to share your feedback with us.

It is a great pleasure to read that you had enjoyed the convenience of our location, the tropical oasis of our swimming pool, the weekend outdoor breakfast at The Sala, and daily jazz at The Living Room. Moreover, I am delighted to read that our Luxury Collection ambassadors were able to play a part in making your stay with us more memorable.

The team and I look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back to Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok.

Richard Chapman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I booked the Sheraton because they offered the VIP limo service at 4200 Baht and I had to reach my Bangkok office asap. An airport representative arranged by the hotel met my husband and me as we got off the plane and we were cleared through the diplomatic customs channel and into the hotel Mercedes in a jiffy. We passed by the standard queue for customs and estimated that we shaved off at least 45min waiting time. Moreover, for an additional 700Baht, the chauffeur waited for me whilst I popped into the office. After which, he drove us to the hotel for check-in. Very happy with the great and efficient service!

Check-in took slightly less than half hour (and I still did not get the 2 queen beds that I requested), which to me was slower than the usual check-in times of 10min at Holiday Inn Chitlom which I stay at regularly, and also slower than Grand Hyatt and Westin Sukhumvit. Even our luggage arrived at the door before we did! The difference was that the Sheraton staff actually showed us to the room itself.

We paid for a premium deluxe room 2 queen beds with breakfast and unfortunately, the hotel was supposedly at full occupancy so we ended up with a king bed. Which means the wheeled-bed rocks when my hubby snores or when I start tossing and turning. The pillows were also too soft even with additional foam ones so we ended up stuffing towels in the pillowcases for better neck support. If we take turns to nap, yes, the bed is extremely comfortable. But at night when we both need to sleep, we did not get sufficient rest. So if we do decide to return to Sheraton, we definitely need separate beds! We had much better sleep at the other 3 hotels. The plus point of the room, is that it is away from Central World so there is no weekend rowdy crowds and loudspeakers as compared to Intercontinental. Do note that renovation works are on-going in the afternoons but the noise was bearable.

The room is on an SPG non-smoking floor and is huge. On first entrance, housekeeping sprayed a room scent which gave me a headache so subsequently, I requested no scent which they complied. Adequate lighting and even reading lights above the bed. Plenty of space for luggage and even a coat rack where we can get ready our next day’s outfits. One afternoon, I came back to shattered glass at the bathroom sink and floor. The hairdryer is placed at a narrow ledge and it fell off, onto the glass which I put the toothbrush/paste and thus that glass broke. Not the housekeeper’s fault but just the design of the hotel. Luckily the housekeeper was just 2 doors away and she swiftly vacuumed up the glass bits from the bathroom floor and sink area. Just imagine if there were kids in the bathroom! FYI, I found out that the new rooms will have the hairdryer in a drawer.

Room service was good, to our standard. First night it took 40min (peak dinner period) and 3rd night, it took a mere 20 min. However, we ordered mains and dessert. My hubby had to have his ice cream and apple pie/crumble midway through his main course, lest it completely melts.

Breakfast at the Café was plentiful. Very thoughtful to cater to halal guests. And even gluten intolerant guests. There were 2 types of gluten-free bread. Plenty of very fresh fruit (the sweet, juicy mangoes disappeared as fast as the server could ‘carve’ them) which were beautifully presented. Yoghurt. Fresh honeycomb. Japanese dishes. Antipasti. A ham station. Fresh juices. Salads. …I had a good poached egg on the first morning but on the 3rd day, my eggs benedict was hard-boiled and when I switched to sunny-side up, it became fried. Inconsistency. We did get great service from a Zimbabwean server. However, if you are just looking for the ubiquitous bacon, baked beans, sausages etc., Holiday Inn Chitlom’s was much better. For homemade jams, do try the breakfast at Intercontinental. But the best bread I’ve had in Bangkok is here at the Sheraton! Unfortunately, there is no take-away deli counter..

Other notes: Wifi in the room was not consistent. But there is a small business center with 3 computers and a printer. There is also a cozy reading area called the library. My husband had the 90 min Thai massage at Grande Spa and it was very good. He even fell asleep.

Another reason we tried this hotel was because August is the rainy season and the Sheraton is directly linked to the BTS station via a covered walkway. Surprisingly, there was little rain and we had the added convenience of avoiding the multiple steps to the train station. There were only a couple of steps to the skywalk and this is good for parents with young kids and elderly folk.

I have to return to Bangkok in Oct and have yet to decide whether to stay here. The one-way airport transfer of 2200 Baht is steep as compared to other hotels but the chauffeur speaks pretty good English and knows his roads well. The ‘rocking’ bed & soft pillow is another consideration. Finally, the hallmark of a good hotel breakfast is properly cooked eggs and I hope there will be improvement in that area.

If you think that I have been helpful in ANY way, please VOTE to let me know, and also to let the hotel staff take note. Thank you very much and have a good trip!

Room Tip: High floor SPG rooms facing the lake are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Mei_C
Dear Mei_C,

May I thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for the time that you have taken to share your constructive feedback with us.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed the limousine service upon arrival, the quality of our In-Room Dining services, our breakfast buffet spread and the quality of service offered at The Grande Spa. However, I am concerned to read that the check-in and reservation process along with the quality of internet connection had not met your expectations. Your constructive feedback have been shared with the concerned Department Heads for further improvement. As we are undergoing a soft refurbishment of our guestrooms, with the first new rooms available from Q4 2013, may I invite you to try those new rooms for you next stay, providing you a greater experience and comfort. I will do the needful to ensure you will be among our first guests to experience the newly refurbished rooms.

I do hope that in spite of the incident, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel in the future.

Nantes
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We thought this hotel would be good, but I wasn’t prepared to be spoiled. Every one of the staff I dealt with was helpful and friendly, even when my bags arrived late from the airport after being lost. There are several choices for eating in house and a nice jazz club (The Living Room) which I really enjoyed. The hotel had a direct link to the Sky Train which makes it very easy to get around. We had a great time herer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Lacy J,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for sharing your experiences with us.

It is a great pleasure to read that you had enjoyed the convenience of our Grande Connection, live jazz at The Living Room and your dining experiences at our Food & Beverage outlets. Moreover, I am delighted to read about the positive experiences that you had with our Luxury Collection ambassadors. We continuously strive to improve the level of our service and I am delighted that we were able to be a part in making your stay more memorable.

We look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel is excellent,with staff that can't do enough for you...outside is the craziness of the city life of Bangkok, then as you enter to the hotel, peace and calmness..we particularly enjoyed the Thai restaurant, and the poolside bar, the pool is a bit busy though, with not enough beds around to cope with demand. For 2 of our days we had trips organised and instead of breakfast, the hotel arranged breakfast brunch boxes to take with us, which was nice gesture....excellent service.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S B
Dear S B,

Thank you for staying at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed the level of customer service provided by our team, the tropical oasis at our swimming pool and your dining experiences at basil and The Sala. Our biggest asset is our people and I am sure they appreciate the recognition that you have given them.

We all look forward to your next visit.

UAE
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Normally i spend the first few nights at the SHERATON whenever I jet in in Bangkok
great staff at the concierge very cooperative and helpful with a smile
the reception staff are always helpful and friendly, rooms are superb and service is great

Room Tip: Higher floors are superb
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Great Location and 5 Star hotel. This is an excellent hotel. The best part of this hotel is its location. So convenient that you literally can access to the sky train and the shopping malls in a few steps.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JollyDeol
Dear JollyDeol,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for the time that you have taken to share your feedback with us.

I am pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, especially with the convenience of our location. We are indeed fortunate to have The Grande Connection, directly connection the hotel lobby with the BTS Skytrain Station and MRT Subway Station as well as the Terminal 21 Shopping Mall.

My team and I look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I accompanied my husband on a business trip to Bangkok. Our room at the Sheraton was large and luxurious, as well as the bathroom. I spent lots of time at the pool grotto while my husband worked, perfection. The workout facility was nice, ample equipment, classes and machines. The breakfast buffet was amazing, there was food for every palate. The fruit buffet was my favorite. The service was impeccable!!! I felt very important.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Sarah W,

Thank you for staying with us at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

It is my delight to read that you were able to relax and enjoy the tropical oasis of our swimming pool as well as working out at the Fitness Center. Your compliments on the breakfast buffet spread was shared with our team at Orchid Cafe and they were delighted to know that you had enjoyed the tropical fruits buffet. As part of the Luxury Collection Hotels, we continuously strive to improve the level of our services and your comments are an encouragement to all of us here.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.