“Great Hotel..but be careful if you take taxi to the airport!!”

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #9 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I concur with all the good reviews on this hotel. Really love the pool!! Love the view facing Benjakiti park from a high floor. Service was great throughout the hotel. I was particularly impressed to be given a room very early in the morning by the receptionist without any question asked!! Definitely a good gesture towards their regular (eventho only a few times) and SPG Gold member. The only negative thing that I would like to share is my experience with the taxi driver to the airport. I wouldnt blame the hotel for it, their concierge has done their job by telling the driver to use the meter. Unfortunately, the first time that I've been conned (my first trip to Bangkok), the driver switched off the meter after we exited the hotel compound. I did notice and asked him to switch it on, but he said It was on. In the end, by manipulating the meter I was charged 1300 baht for the trip. (a total ripped off as the same trip can cost you just 400baht - another trip with an honest driver). During my recent visit (late nov), I almost experienced the same thing again. The driver didnt switch on the meter and whn I asked, he gave a lot of excuses and reluctantly switched on the meter, but just before exited the hotel he switched off the meter again. I was annoyed and asked him to stop, he was grumbling and switched on the meter. I insisted to stop, but he has given a lot of excuses and didnt want to stop. We were quite lucky the main road was busy and the taxi need to stop for the traffic. I got off the taxi and told the guard of what happen.He helped us to unload our luggage and flagged another taxi. Thank god we got a better taxi and honest driver!!..In all, these bad experiences will definitely not deter me from staying at this hotel in the future!!

1  Thank explorerKl
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear explorerKl,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for the time that you have taken to share your feedback with us.

I was delighted to read about the positive experiences you had during your stay with us, especially at the swimming pool and the view from your guestroom. I am very sorry to learn of your unpleasant experience with a local taxi on your journey from the hotel to the airport and we totally understand your frustration. Naturally I called for a full investigation on all the points you raised and a series of actions and retraining has been put in place to avoid a reoccurrence and to deliver service in a personalized and attentive manner. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The team and I look forward the next opportunity of welcoming you back to Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.

Richard Chapman

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Travelled to Bangkok from a brief stay in Dubai as part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebrations. The Sheraton is a fantastic place to staff. the staff are without exception courteous and attentive and always prepared to go the extra mile to meet your requirements. The location is great for exploring Bangkok and within the hotel the pool area is like an oasis where you forget you are in the middle of a bustling city..... And finally to cap it all as part of our stay we received the complimentary free 2 hour cocktail hour in the Living Room... Jazz pianist, quality drinks, Thai hor d'oeuvres great surroundings, attentive service and the managers come round to check you are enjoying your stay... The only downside is that is that it can be bad for your liver,! We will be returning

Room Tip: Bangkok is a lively noisy city so the higher up the room the better.

Dear Paul B,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit as part of your wedding anniversary celebrations.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed the level of customer service provided by our team of Luxury Collection ambassadors, the convenience of our central location, the tropical oasis at our swimming pool and live jazz at The Living Room. Your compliments have been shared with the team to recognize their efforts, and we look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I loved this hotel. Even though i found it to be a bit on a higher side with the pricing the locate and hotel is amazing. Was not too happy with their rates as you can get a lot better with that kind of money in Bangkok. For those who don't mind spending a lot for the Sheraton Name this is the place for you

Room Tip: They are all the same but try the pool side room its awesome
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear wiredin247,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I certainly appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel and hope this may be helpful to future guests. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed in Premium deluxe room which was really oversized (and if I say "oversized" I mean "oversized"). Besides the large room, there was a large bathroom and a separate walk-in closet.
The hotel is not new (BTW, there is a room renovation on certain floors) but the room was clean and well maintained and everything worked. The internet access is reliable and pretty fast.
The breakfast was very good ... among the best I have ever experienced. The staff is nice, well trained and provides an excellent service.
The hotel is a part of the Luxury Collection and it shows.

Besides the airport transportation the hotel is able to arrange for VIP treatment at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport: they drive you by cart from the gate to fast track at the immigration which is actually pretty convenient for two reasons:
- Suvarnabhumi is a large airport and if your flight is assigned one of the most distant gates you may walk more than 1 km to make it to immigration
- if you have a bad luck and several large aircraft arrive at the same time you may end up in a pretty long line at the immigration (30-40 minutes is not unusual, although almost nobody there ... it very much depends on luck and timing, but PM is usually more busy).

The room rates are reasonable taking into consideration the quality of accommodation and service.

Albeit 5-star property you see in the hotel its guest with their local "girlfriends" but this is:
(a) Thailand
(b) Bangkok
(c) Sukhumvit (which is one of the centers of the sex industry ... which is what help to make Bangkok hotels full).

While the hotel is located in the center of the city it is at the same time pretty distant from major tourist attractions except brothels :-) Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Traimit, Wat Arun, nearest boat station ... to get to all those places takes usually an hour by taxi or tuk-tuk. It is not the price (it is incredibly cheap ... ca. 100 Thai Baht or so in metered taxi) but the time (in a parmanent traffic jam in Bangkok) what makes it difficult to get there but it is possible to combine BTS or MRT with a tuk-tuk drive (or some walk) but also the means of public transport are very crowded especially PM.

All-in-all, the hotel exceeded our expectations and I would not hesitate a minute to book it again for my next trip to Bangkok.

Room Tip: It makes sense to spent few extra bucks for premium deluxe room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ED5611

Dear ED5611,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok and for the time that you have taken to share your feedback with us.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the spaciousness of our guests rooms and the walk-in closet breakfast buffet spread at Orchid Cafe and the the level of customer service provided by our team. We continuously strive to improve the level of our services and your compliments have been shared with the team to recognize their efforts.

We all look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My family and I ( 11 of us) recently stayed for the first time at this hotel although my brother is a regular Sheraton guest.
We were warmly welcomed by the staff there and they made us feel extremely at ease and at home.

The hotel has such a welcoming ambience and we immediately fell in love with it. The staff were extremely courteous, polite and friendly even when they are so very busy at breakfast,
The rooms were well appointed, and very clean and the maids did a good job each morning tidying up, A commendable point are the beds and pillows….we had some very good sleep after a hectic and exhausting day.

Also I noticed there is always at least a security guard and a staff stationed at the lifts all ready to call a lift for you when you walk in.

The hotel is suitably located close to Terminal 21 one of the latest shopping complex in Bangkok and less than a minute walk on the overhead pedestrian walk to the MRT. So getting to MBK and Asiatique, the market, was quite a breeze especially when you have shopped a lot!

Everything was more than what we had anticipated. We had a great stay, thank you Sheraton!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Happyjaq,

Here at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, we strive to provide exceptional customer service to all of our guests and your kind comments have been passed on to the team to recognize their efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Room was spacious and well equipped. We had requested a lake view as the other side of the hotel overlooks the street & skytrain, but certainly noise from the street did not appear to be a problem for our floor. Room rate included on of the best buffet breakfasts I have ever encountered. Plenty of choice and although breakfast is served from 05:30, even at 10:00 there was still plenty of choice and the food was obviously frequently refreshed. Hotel is well placed for Terminal 21 shopping mall where there are plenty of places to eat at very reasonable prices. There is an Argentinian steakhouse over the road which whilst a little pricy offers really great food. Very convenient location from a public transport viewpoint - skytrain and metro stations within 5 mins walk. All round a really great experience.

Dear bennoch,

We continuously strive to improve the level of our services and I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the spaciousness of our guest rooms, the breakfast buffet spread at Orchid Cafe and the convenience of our central location. Your compliments have been shared with our team and we all look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of being part of your memorable stay.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I just completed a great five night stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. The hotel is in a great central location. There is a BTS sky train and a Metro stop just a few steps from the hotel. I was attending a conference at the Queen Sirikit Convention Center and I could also easily walk there (about 20 min). Directly across the street (and connected by a walk way) is a Robinson department store and Terminal 21, a mall with 5 or 6 floors that sells just about anything you could want! The buffet breakfast is amazing (about 900 bhat if not included in your room rate). My room on the 12th floor had been recently renovated and was very nicely appointed. The gym has 5 or 6 treadmills, stationary bikes, elliptical machines, a rowing machine, free and machine weights - it's great. The service was very good with very helpful and friendly staff. I'd go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear bennoch,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok.

It is always a great pleasure to know that our guests had enjoyed a memorable stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the convenience of our central location, the breakfast buffet spread at Orchid Cafe, the facilities at our Fitness Club and the level of customer service provided by our team of Luxury Collection ambassadors. Your kind words have been shared with the team and we all look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back.