“Fabulous stay! Great night at Bar Su”

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #8 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 9 November 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights in October and had an amazing stay. Staff very helpful and friendly. Emirates lost my case and the conceirge just sorted everything for me and chased my case down and had it delivered etc. Also sorted us VIP tickets ringside to the thai kick boxing (which was brilliant)

Breakfast amazing. Room gorgeous - there were loads of free cosmetics which saved my life having no case for most ot my stay there!

Had a memorable night in Bar Su under the hotel - very trendy bar with amazing cocktails and bar snacks (and shooters!)

Would definitely stay here again - the service was second to none.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lady_Leisure1

Reviewed 9 November 2008

This was the second time I staid at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and it was great again.

After checking in and getting upgraded to a higher room type I went to my room. Within 5 minutes the doorbell rang and a butler gave my my running shirt&shorts which I forgot on my first trip, almost 3 months ago.
I realised back then that I forgot my kit, but didnt bother to contact the hotel to keep it for my next visit.

Besides this, the rooms are spacious, the food is great and the gym is good for hotel quality.

Best to visit this hotel for business or city trips.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank vastgotta
Reviewed 4 November 2008

I chose to stay at the SGS because of its excellent reputation and location (being in Sukhumvit - the real 'guts' of Bangkok in my view) - not to mention the proximity of SkyTrain and MRT, which makes getting around so much easier than it used to be. My wife and I have previously stayed at the Peninsula, which was very nice, but the location is not so good.

The real bonus at the SGS was the fantastic attitude of the staff, who were as friendly and helpful as they could be from the moment I arrived until my departure...in fact, until after my departure, as they were kind enough to drop me a line to let me know I had left something behind (I must remember to get back to them on that...).

The only thing that wasn't quite the ticket was the arrangement for breakfast: I was in a club room, and typically in my experience this would include for breakfast in an exclusive lounge or the like (somehwre quiet at any rate). Breakfast was in fact to be taken in the main lobby facility, which frankly I found a little crowded.

That said, it would be wrong to finish on a negative, as the overall stay was great, the facilities and location superb, and the staff a real credit to the place. And remember to check out Suda restaurant on nearby Soi 14 - it is great.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank TheCrowman
Reviewed 24 October 2008

Stayed for 4 nights at the hotel. Usually stay at the Peninsula, but as only recently stayed there on a business trip, decided to give the Sheraton Grande a try and my SPG card a boost.

Booked a Grande Deluxe room facing the lake at THB7,800 ++ a night. The room rate also includes breakfast, a free Skytrain ticket (which in reality is only worth THB70), unlimited evening cocktails (based on a cut down menu but definitely value for money as each drink normally costs THB360++) and 15% discount on spa treatments.

Pros

- convenient access to BTS station (Asok) and short trip to shopping centres (although the Intercon or the Grand Hyatt Erawan are better located for shopping purposes)
- very friendly and obliging staff (but this is typical of good Thai hotels)
- good gym facilities
- Thai food at Basil was excelllent (in fact better than Thiptara at the Peninsula or the Thai restaurant at the Oriental) - certainly the best discovery on this trip
- Breakfast buffet was OK but not as great as the Oriental or Peninsula. The main breakfast room is rather small for the throngs of customers and in some sections rather dark.

Cons

- rooms are spacious and equipped with DVD and LCD TVs but look rather dated (green tiled bathroom, "fer forge" furniture and late 80s / early 90s Meditteranean style decor). In contrast, though lacking LCD/plasma TVs and DVDs, deluxe rooms at the Peninsula are larger (large enough to have a sofa and coffee table) and the Peninsula's bathrooms are almost twice the size and have better facilities with his/her vanities / basins, "rainwater shower heads", TV in the bathroom
- Spa treatments and facilities are not good (had a disappointing facial treatment and separate sports massage but Thai massage on the last day was good). Spa treatments and facilities at Peninsula are miles ahead better.

Did not regret the "experiment" but will be more inclined to stay again at the Peninsula on the next trip.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank SydneyKeen_Traveller
Reviewed 21 October 2008

I recently stayed at the hotel and must say I was quite impressed with the service.

The cab ride to the hotel was about a 45min trip and was metered. However there is a 50 baht surcharge and 2 tolls 45+20.

When I arrived at the hotel they concierge was very helpful and was able to help us book a private taxi for our short day trip.

One great thing about the hotel is the fact that the hotel is on a skytrain line and right by the subway line. This made it very easy to get to MBK/Siam Square as well as Lumpini night market for shopping.

Even though the distance to all the Wat's is only 2-3km's it's actually a 45min taxi ride due to the traffic.

The hotel itself was simply amazing. The rooms were massive. The washroom could have been a spare bedroom it was so big.

One thing to note is that there was no free internet of any kind.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barry C
Reviewed 16 October 2008

I spent 3 days/2 nights here in early October 2008 and true to the Sheraton name, the service here was amazing.

With it's own bridge to Asok BTS station (less than a 5 minute walk away) and the Sukhumvit MTR about a 10-15 minute walk away, it's location just east of the Sukhumvit mall shopping district provides easy access to restaurants, malls, shopping and even Soi Cowboy (just north of the Sukhumvit MTR station). It's a great central headquarters for any excursions in and outside of Bangkok. It's one negative however (and this isn't really a fault of the hotel) is that the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is located on the south side of Sukhumvit Road and getting there by cab from Suvarnabhumi Airport takes an hour if only because of the infamous Bangkok traffic and gridlock from 8am to 10pm (without traffic it's a 30 minute ride). Don't take any cab from the airport though, go to the public taxi meter which is a flat 350 baht (300 + 50 surcharge) into the city (a person will write down your hotel/destination in Thai for the cabbie) but know that you'll have to cover the highway tolls (25 and 45 baht) for the cabbie yourself (change will be provided by the toll booth workers). Because of the midday traffic, it took us 15 minutes just to drive the last 50 meters to the hotel.

After a quick and easy check-in (who'll even tell you how many times you've stayed with them), the concierge/guest services answered all our questions (in perfect English) such as about proper attire when visiting the temples (long pants for men are required and no bare shoulders or shorts for women), best routes for day trips (our travel books had said to take the trains but the concierge highly recommended against this as they're quite old and out of shape, so instead he called an all-day personal taxi driver for us) and even wrote locations down in Thai should we ever get lost and needed to get a cab who didn't understand English.

Like other reviews have said, the 3rd floor outdoor pool is landscaped to give the impression that you're actually swimming in a lagoon. It's probably the largest hotel pool I've ever seen with space for laps and other nooks for kids to play in (the depth is 4'9" all around) or just to relax. It's so popular that the sunchairs are 80% occupied pretty much all day though the hotel itself never felt like it was full or crowded. The same area also has a restaurant/bar open for breakfast and snacks/drinks throughout the day though I never tried it.

With six dining venues, I only got to try The Orchid Cafe in the lobby where most guests have buffet breakfast/lunch/dinner and I have to say that the buffet dinner (a la carte is also available) is incredible! With a mix of seafood, Thai and Indian along with more seafood grilled or poached to order, I could've eaten here for every meal had I tried it sooner.

The room includes a business desk, couch, LCD TV and DVD player. It's more than enough space for two people and I imagine could fit a family of four comfortably (if someone doesn't mind sleeping on the floor, but it's a large floor). The bathroom includes both a bath and shower (both which can easily fit two adults) and is easily twice as large as any other Sheraton I've stayed at so far and that says a lot!

However, housekeeping doesn't seem to come by until ~2pm which can be a little inconvenient after a long morning and I want to come back to freshen up or relax a bit, but a quick call to guest services fixed that.

Internet access is either by the half hour or for 24 hours but the cost is crazy and you'll need your own laptop as I was told they don't have public PCs available. However, there's a net cafe next door just west of the Sheraton open from 9am which charges 1 baht/minute for internet.

It's an expensive hotel and if I didn't have a discounted rate I probably would've chosen elsewhere, but now that I've stayed here it's hard to imagine staying anywhere else in Bangkok.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Smashing2
Reviewed 7 September 2008

If you want to stay in Bangkok:

1. In Style
2. Close to shopping
3. Close to Skytrains and Trains
4. In a hotel whose service is next to none; and
5. That has exquisite dining and entertainment venues

You should do yourself a favour and stay at this hotel.

This was our 13th stay and I still cannot fault anything!

Well done to the staff who are always excellent and courteous and Richard the Manager!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business