Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #9 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Simply the best hotel that I have ever stayed in. Beautiful rooms and excellent service. Not cheap, but far less than you would pay for a comparable hotel in the US. The hotel restaurants are quite expensive (especially for Bangkok), but there are good, reasonably priced dining options in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear David S,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for the time that you had taken to share your feedback with us.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed the convenience and comforts of our guestrooms and the level of customer service provided by our team of Luxury Collection ambassadors. As part of the Luxury Collection hotels, we continuously strive to provide a memorable experience for our guests. Your compliments had been shared with the team and we all look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Richard Chapman

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Objectively speaking, the hotel didn't do anything wrong. Unfortunately for me, my stay was a disappointment because I had much higher expectations. First, this is Bangkok, a city with many outstanding hotels, far better than their counterparts in other cities. Second, this is branded as a Luxury Collection Hotel by Starwood, so one should expect a little more. Third, I had just transferred from Banyan Tree Bangkok, where I was totally blown away. Given that I had paid much more (about 50%) for the Sheraton Grande, I had expected greater value. Last, this hotel has had such fantastic reviews on here!

The hotel failed my expectations on several fronts. In terms of the room, I had booked a Grande Deluxe room, which is the best non-suite room. I'm also an SPG Gold member, so hotels typically assign enhanced rooms at check-in. I was told I was assigned a newly refurbished room. But when I entered, the room was tiny (perhaps a third or half the size of what I got at Banyan Tree Bangkok at a 50% premium), the (refurbished) decor was very dated, the bathroom was claustrophobic. I felt like I had downgraded to a three-star hotel.

I especially disliked the decor of not just the hotel, but also the room. It felt like a tacky themed hotel from Las Vegas in the 80s. The green tiles that were used in the bathroom were particularly atrocious. The bathtub looked like it had not been changed since the hotel first opened almost 20 years ago.

The Grande Deluxe room is also an equivalent to a club room, except this hotel doesn't have a club lounge. Although I knew that at the time of booking, I didn't realise how much of a bummer it was until my stay. You don't get the convenience of heading to a lounge any time you want to relax and get a drink. I felt this was especially important given how small the room was.

The only things I liked about the hotel were its location (directly linked to the BTS Skytrain and Terminal 21), the breakfast at Orchid Cafe, and the pool, which was spectacular.

But if you don't mind staying at a hotel with a less-than-ideal location, you have plenty of better and cheaper options in Bangkok. I recommend Banyan Tree Bangkok, for instance.

Room Tip: Avoid the Grande Deluxe Room because it's not really a club room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank ChesterChua
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear ChesterChua,

May I thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for the time that you had taken to share your feedback with us on TripAdvisor.

I was very concerned to read that your most recent visit did not meet your expectations and you felt disappointed about our newly refurbished room and about the absence of the club lounge. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused. Allow me to explain that all our guest rooms are exactly the same size of 45 sqm minimum, being it our Grande, Premier or Grande Deluxe rooms and this represent among the largest room in the city.

Each beautiful room is the work of talented Australian designer; Diana Simpson, and has been furnished and decorated in a contemporary Thai style that draws from a palette of richly colored woods, marble and gold and pastel tones to create a relaxed, sophisticated personal space. Appealing to traditional and modern tastes, the spacious interiors are further enriched by furnishing and décor imported from Italy and America, fabrics and upholstery from India and Sri Lanka, gold colored wall fabric printed with authentic Thai decorative motifs, and engaging local artworks and antiques. Additional enhancements to the fresh new look include dark wenge timber accents, walk-in closet, spacious bathrooms, new sheer colored drapes from the Saint Moritz Sati collection, and carpets. In keeping with the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit’ s commitment to reducing energy use for a more sustainable future, all standard lights have been replaced with high efficiency LED lighting. The marble floored bathroom features a generous vanity area, separate bathtub and a large shower with distinctly Thai bathroom toiletries by THANN. Rooms are wired with the latest technology for greater productivity and enhanced leisure time, and include a 40” flat screen Samsung LED TV with an IPTV option, a dedicated media hub with HDMi, Bluetooth and a USB port, and 60 mbps high-speed internet access with seamless connectivity for up to three devices. The newly renovated rooms, featuring a large wooden panel mounting the large LED TV is meant to provide better way to watch guest’s favorite shows and with the intent to provide more space and better comfort with the refreshment center elevated for a better reach instead of being on the floor level. This was mainly to answer our guest’s feedback’s as they felt the refreshment center was too low and inconvenient for them.

As for the Grande Deluxe Rooms, as mentioned earlier, the room is exactly the same size but there are additional benefits such as private butler service, breakfast, Internet (up to 60 Mbps and up to 3 devices), laundry service, cocktail hours, late checkout until 4.0 PM and more.

In regards to the club lounge, although we do not have a private club lounge per say, the Library and the Living Room on Level One area are available for Grande Deluxe and Suite guests to use for informal meetings, a quiet reading or for relaxing time throughout the day. Moreover, hot beverages, juices, soft drinks and finger foods are available at The Sala and The Living Room every evening during cocktail hours.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment and I do hope that in spite of this inconvenience we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Can not stop writing about this gem this gem has become my home in Bangkok. Service hospitality is getting better and better every time I stay here. My words can not fulfill real feeling of hospitality you get here. I again ask you to feel it by your heart and mind. See you in September my sweet home. Cheers.

3  Thank Bhuwannp

Dear Bhuwannp,

Thank you very much for the continuous support and loyalty towards Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok.

As part of the Luxury Collection Hotels, our core values are an indigenous and exceptional experience. It is of my greatest pleasure to read that our team had delivered at per our promise. Your compliments had been shared with the team and they all look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in July for 4 nights. Our room was very well appointed and was immaculately clean. We stayed on the 28th floor and had great views of the city. I have never seen so much choice at breakfast and the food was to a very high standard . We sampled Basil for an evening meal and this was excellent. The cocktails in the living room were excellent including the house cocktail. The hotel is ideal for visiting Bangkok as connected the sky train which we used everyday and is a very cheap way to travel plus air conditioned. We spent a day at the pool and you would never have guessed you were in the middle of Bangkok , it was lovely to relax in a little paradise. On a final note I cannot praise the staff enough on their attentiveness, they Were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. They are a credit to the hotel.

1  Thank Martin C

Dear Martin C,

It is of my greatest pleasure to read that you had enjoyed your guestroom on the 28th floor, breakfast buffet at Orchid Cafe, your dinner at basil and the cocktails at The Living Room. Your compliments had been shared with the team and they look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Though it's only one night, this is the first stop after my flight to bkk before I go to office. The receptionist is courteous and indeed checking in gives me a true land of smiles experience. Bell boy, staff at the lift, receptionist that brought me to the room and also invite small talk to feel at ease. They lived up to the 5 star experience. The buffet spread (not inclusive) has very good selection, even egg Benedict at the egg counter !!(rare) room is very spacious (gotten a spg upgrade), comfy place to stay.

1  Thank resirnus
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear resirnus,

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the spaciousness of our guestrooms, the breakfast buffet spread at Orchid Cafe and the level of customer service provided by our team of Luxury Collection ambassadors. Your compliments had been shared with our team and they were delighted to know that they had been able to play a part in making your stay more memorable.

We all look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great Hotel, in a good location, rooms not so new, however in good condition. very comfortable bed,large toilette, i like very much the large lobby and the immediate great service by the receptionis
Very good breakfast with lavish choices, i had also one dinner buffet but it need improvement, pity as if it was good i would had given 5 stars.

recommended and i will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GiuseppeR R
GMSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear GiuseppeR R,

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed our comfortable guestrooms, our signature Luxury Collection beds, breakfast buffet at Orchid Cafe and the level of customer service provided by our team. However, I was concerned to read that the dinner buffet at Orchid Cafe did not meet your expectations. Your feedback had been shared with our Director of Food & Beverage for further improvement.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment. I look forward to welcoming you back, so that we may have the opportunity to remedy the poor impression created on your recent visit.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Wonderful hotel in a prime location offering fantastic 5* service. 3 days prior we stayed in the Peninsula Hotel & without question the Sheraton Grande wins hands down. Should be in the top 3 hotels in Bangkok.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank james a

Dear james a,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and for the time that you had taken to share your feedback with us.

As part of the Luxury Collection hotels, our core values are to provide our guests with an indigenous and exceptional experience. I am delighted to read that our Luxury Collection ambassadors had delivered as per our promise. Your compliments had been shared with our team and we all look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back soon.