“SUPERIOR LOCATION, ATTENTIVE SERVICE”

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #8 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Smiling efficient service from the reception desk to the butler staff. The Concierge was very helpful in assisting me to locate various locations. He was happy to answer all my many questions. My room was large and comfortable. The understated elegance of the soft colors and silk fabrics made for a peaceful feeling when I returned to the room after a busy day on the hot streets of Bangkok. The buffet service at breakfast was unbelieably extensive. So many choices and everything was fresh. Top quality meats, fruits and pastries. For those who distain buffets, there is a ccok to order station that offers yet more choices.

After a busy day in Bangkok the pool oasis was such a pleasure. The large trees and plants create a shady and breezy retreat. I fell asleep on a lounger listening to the bird song as I said to myself..."Am I really in the heart of Bangkok?".

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank ha_buster

Reviewed 24 September 2010

I often stay in bangkok hotels, and the Sheraton grande sukhumvit used to be my favorite. It is directly connected to the BTS Station, Asok, has great restaurants, nice decor, good service, tasty room service. And to boot, the internet used to be fast, which is critical to me, as my livelihood depends on having access to fast internet.

I used to routinely stay at SGS in Bangkok as the internet speeds were usually around 3 megabits/second download from the US. However, over the past few months (July 2010 and September 2010, two trips), the internet was poor. I notice someone wrote a review dated July 21st, saying the internet was poor at that time, and someone from customer service posted saying all the usuals, sorry for the inconvenience, all will be fixed up dandy.

Well, it's still not fixed up dandy. I was getting download speeds from the US of about 0.3 megabits/second, which doesn't hack it. When I complained to the IT department, they claimed they were taking measures to speed up my connection. However, these alleged measures did not have any noticeable effect.

Finally at midnight I had to just leave the hotel as I couldnt get my work done with the painfully slow internet speeds. When I checked out, they asked, how was your stay? I let them know the internet was miserable. They indicated that they had made some changes recently, and perhaps this was the issue.

Get with it, guys. The usual excuses don't cut it. "It's a shared connection, so maybe it will be slow if a lot of people are using it". This doesn't cut it these days. The internet is like water, food, air, and electricitiy in a hotel. You need to BUY enough bandwidth so it doesn't get slow when everyone is using it. If you find you dont have enough, BUY more. If not, we stay elsewhere. Get it? Good.

Otherwise a lovely hotel. The buffet is out of this world. Unbelievable selection of foods not only for dinner, but foir breakfast and lunch as well.

However, if they don't get with the program and enter the modern era of the "Internets", they don't deserve my or anyone else's business.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank someflipster
MRTCSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2010

Dear Someflipster,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your frustration and apologize accordingly. Allow me to explain that the speed of 20 Mbps has not been reduced. But like any system, which is shared by many users, there is always the risk that one or more users decide to download a movie or the like. Such downloading takes up a huge amount of bandwidth, which causes little availability for others.

We approached IT consultants to assist in overcoming this challenge. They advise that the problem will not be overcome by simply adding more bandwidth. It is a question of controlling the bandwidth of each user. An intelligent access software has been identified to manage this issue and it is planned to have it installed within ten days.

Meanwhile, we will do our best to monitor and manage the situation.

I do appreciate your support to the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and do hope that your confidence in us will be retained with the introduction of the new software. We fully recognize the importance of quality internet access to today’s travelers.

Best regards,

Richard Chapman

Reviewed 23 September 2010

Dont get me wrong: great hotel, central location, excellent rooms, overall very clean and an absolutely stunning pool area! But something is missing to make it perfect: the service is not quite 5 star, the size of the hotel makes it a bit impersonal and the architecture is elegant, but nothing special. Overall we enjoyed the stay and we think we got good value for our money.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yasomike
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Recently stayed in a Grande Suite at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit for four nights, had high expectations based on the reviews but I am not impressed. We recently stayed at various Luxury Collection hotels and other upscale Starwood brands, and this hotel is anything but grand!

We were picked up by a representative in a nice Mercedes, driven to the hotel and did not even have to queue up at the counter. Check in was taken care of in our room, our luggage was delivered promptly and the room was explained to us.

The room was nice enough, but not luxurious or grand, it was average Sheraton quality. The furniture looked old and worn out, the decor was dull and boring as at any old Sheraton and there were holes in the fabric on the wall behind the bed. The living room of our suite was simply another bedroom complete with bathroom, closet and work desk that was turned into a living room and connected to our bedroom with a door that could be locked. Nothing special either...and inconvenient.

The facilities are nice enough, but again, nothing luxurious. The pool is small and surrounded by a tropical forest making it quite dirty if it is not cleaned constantly. And it was not cleaned frequently during our stay. The gym is well equipped and the staff very nice.

Our rate included breakfast and evening cocktails. The arrangement for either is very confusing and complicated. Breakfast is served in the main restaurant, a large Vegas-style buffet with unattentive service and a large, but basic selection of food. Additional beverages are charged at outrageous rates (e.g. a Coca Cola that costs $0.4 at a supermarket costs $6 at the Sheraton! But it is free of charge one floor down in one of the lounges during the day - who invents this type of setup???). Cocktails are served in three different places with varying levels of appetizers, types of drinks and conditions (at the main restaurant only if you pay for dinner buffet). We most enjoyed Bar Su, where the staff was super friendly and Mo-Fri they offer delicious buffet-style appetizers.

Overall service was unattentive and unpersonal. Other large luxury hotels like the Starwood´s own Plaza Athenee and Meridien in Bangkok provide much better and more personal service, nicer rooms, better benefits at even better rates.
The Sheraton not-so-Grande Sukhumvit is not competitive for what they charge!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SFLeonce
MRTCSGS, General Manager at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2010

May I thank this contributor for his comments, in which I was pleased to read that he received our express check-in directly to his room. As a platinum member of Starwood’s Preferred Guest Loyalty program, he was upgraded to a suite. Yes, it was a converted guestroom, since with the downturn in business to Bangkok, we have converted additional rooms into suites to try and honor most of our Platinum guests with the comfort of an extra space.

Our pool area is considered by many as a beautiful oasis. The pool water PH level is checked twice a day and vacuumed every morning. But during this season, wind and rain storms can occur leaving leaves and petals from the garden strewn around. Our associate do their best to keep it tidy at all times.

As a Luxury Collection Hotel, we do not have separate Executive floor or club, so our Platinum, and suites guests are invited to enjoy complimentary cocktails in three different areas of the hotel- pool, lobby lounge or bar. Meanwhile breakfast is served in our all-day dining room- the Orchid Café- where the buffet selection is very diverse, featuring not only traditional western favourities, but also Japanese, Chinese, Thai and Middle East. A La Carte breakfast service is also available.

I was concerned to learn that the writer felt that our service was inattentive and impersonal, when we emphasize to our associates the importance of treating every guest with warm, caring Thai hospitality at all times. I would be happy to offer the writer a complimentary two night stay on his next visit, so that we may have the opportunity to remedy the poor impression created on this occasion.

With kind regards,
Richard

Reviewed 16 September 2010

First time in Bangkok and we spent our first three nights here. What a wonderful place. The place is run very well, the greeting you receive upon arrival is warm but not overly sickly. The room was equally beautiful and the bathroom impeccably clean.

We weren't sure whether this was because of the deal we had, or not, but one of the best features about this hotel was the free drinks every night between 6pm and 8pm! And not just tea/coffee/soft drinks - the works! The bar was very classy and very relaxed and the live jazz was a nice touch.

Restaurants on the premises are typically pricey but Basil (the Thai restaurant) was fantastic. Equally, the daily buffet breakfast was pretty good (some items had lost their appeal after obviously being left out too long) but the service was very attentive.

The pool is notionally on the third floor but this is at least 50m above street level and you wouldn't know you were in the middle of Bangkok. It is surrounded by trees and shrubs and you feel completely isolated from the hustle of the city - wonderful! The poolside/bar staff are again discrete but incredibly attentive and we enjoyed some wonderful late afternoon drinks and snacks while lounging by the pool.

This is a fantastic hotel which is really well run and a wonderful haven from Bangkok (which we found can be a tiring place to explore!).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Me and my husband have travelled for many years and this hotel is at the top of our ratings. Perfect location, right next to the skytrain and busy nightlife and market stalls. We stayed here for 4 nights and thought the service was exceptional. Yes the hotel rooms have classic style decor, but you can't beat the grandness, cleanliness and service. A perfect hotel and location.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Amaizing !! its the only word to describe our stay with your hotel. Only thing is that you had already set up the standards very high which was difficult to match by other luxury hotels during our vacation.
Check in was above par excellence. rooms were neat !!
service was amaizing..
nothing but the best !!
Last and most important the Train station is just across the hotel, its very convinient to travel by Sky Trains..

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family