“Convenient, well-managed and maintained, but no pizazz”

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #9 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Toronto
“Convenient, well-managed and maintained, but no pizazz”
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I stayed for two nights at the Sheraton Grande. From check-in to check-out, everything was smooth. The staff (especially at the concierge desk) were very helpful; the room very large (I especially appreciated the dressing-room-sized closet), though not furnished with any particular flair; and the location, with direct access to both the Asok skytrain station and Sukhumvit subway station, extremely convenient.
I have no particular complaints--and goodness knows there's no dearth of truly well-managed hotels--but there was nothing that really grabbed me about the hotel. If the rate were good enough, I might stay again; but I'm more likely to try another of Bangkok's many beautiful hotels.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
india
Reviewed 9 February 2011

arrived at 8 am in the morning and got a room immediately ,basil food was very good ,location is right in the heart of the city ,service is also very good , requested for a late check out and got one till 4 pm , a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I've stayed at the SGS many times in the past, and written a review here, too. On my last visit, in January, 2011, I had a mishap in my room and fractured a bone in my foot. No fault of the hotel, -- my own clumsiness was to blame. Although I thought that I had stubbed my toe, it became apparent fairly quickly that it was worse than that. I hobbled down to the concierge desk, and they advised me to go to the hospital. No sooner had I said OK, than they had called for a taxi, and a front door manager as well as a bellman were assisting me to the front door. The taxi arrived, and they instructed the driver to take me to Bumrungrad Hospital. When I returned from the Hospital (in under two hours!!!), I had a hard splint (like a small cast) as well as crutches.

From that point on, the staff couldn't do enough for me. Whether it was a bellman riding up to the room with me to assist with opening my door or the in room dining staffer delivering my dinner who insisted on moving some of the furniture around to make maneuvering a little easier, everyone was wonderful. Without exception, every staff member whom I encountered went out of his/her way to assist me, see that I was comfortable, inquire after my condition.

I left over a week early to return home. Given my condition and the size/weight of my luggage, I decided to reserve a hotel car to drive me to the airport. I asked the Concierge to set this up for me, and and also if they could have a hotel staff member accompany me to the airport to assist there. (I was feeling very awkward on the crutches, and any forward motion was with great effort.) The Concierge told me not to worry, that he would take care of it. The hotel car was waiting by the front door right on time. When we arrived at BKK, the hotel person was standing by the curb, -- he had already requisitioned a wheelchair and operator. He assisted me through checkin and up to Immigration. Made things at the airport infinitely easier.

Notwithstanding the service culture which GM Richard Chapman has instilled in the staff and which a guest sees every day, a hotel really has the opportunity to shine (or fail) when faced wtih an out-of-the-ordinary situation like mine. And the SGS shone brightly. As I said above, every staff member, from senior management to the lowest entry-level person, stopped what s/he was doing when I approached. Without exception, hotel staff members whom I encountered expressed genuine concern for my well-being.and comfort and offered to assist me. The warmth and support which I received mad being injured halfway around the world from home much less difficult. Sure, any high end hotel will assist with the logistics, -- wheelchair, someone to deal with luggage, etc. These things are all standard. But I was truly taken aback by the genuine warmth and caring which I experienced.

To all of the wonderful staff members of the SGS, thank you. I will be back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank DrHFH
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit during Christmas 2010. Definitely met the Luxury Collection standards! Staff were very helpful and friendly. General manager was very affable with myself and other guests. Live entertainment was great, as well as the food. Definitely get a lot for you money. I will definitely return to this hotel.

Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Fantastic location in Sukhumvit - walking distance to Asok BTS (monorail) and Sukhumvit subway station, lots of good restaurants in the vicinity, close to Soi Cowboy if that floats your boat and lots of different types of shopping in the area.

Breakfast buffet has a wonderful selection.

Price is a bit high compared to the some other hotels I also stay in - Westin for example is right across the road and is usually US$50 to US$100 cheaper with similar quality (maybe slightly older) rooms, equivalent friendly service and unquestionable convenience of location. If you can get a room for US$150 or less and this is within your price range then grab it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank pelachi
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Beyond par even to compare to it's SPG sister hotel across the street, the Westin. Overall service, from limo airport pick up, check in, room assignment, executive lounge, and most of all, the SPG Platinum recognition are all excellent. Location is the most prime area in Bankok for both leisure and business travellers. For SPG Platinum, for all my various stays, were always upgraded to the suite, which is very spacious and remarkable room.
Location of this property, likewise the Westin, is a walking distance to Soi Cowboy and Nana Square for those who like to stay awake at night. Direct access to the skytrain make it safe and super convinience.
Barsu is a little dissapointing however, even during weekend nights, it's quite dull and empty. It seems like Barsu loosing many potential spender including myself to Spasso at the other side of the city. Especially during happy around, it seems like there are always kids running around Barsu. On other side, Sala is a perfect family hang around spot and very good for kids to play around.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Mario S
Manchester by the Sea, MA,US
Reviewed 27 January 2011

This hotel is a standout in Bangkok. Our room was an upgrade to one of the butler service floors. Very spacious and well appointed room on a higher floor. Having just arrived from a long flight from N. America, it was wonderful to have the added benefits of the upgrade, including free laundry and hot beverage service. Food was on the expensive side, but of excellent quality. The breakfast buffet was extensive and catered to both Western and Eastern travelers.
I look forward to our return.

• Stayed January 2011