“Business Trip Thailand”

Ranked #75 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
London, United Kingdom
“Business Trip Thailand”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Nice hotel in the middle of the city area. Lots of shops around and restaurants catering for all tastes. Street food also available. MRT right outside of hotel so easy to travel around.
Hotel Restaurant wise not good as very limited especially if you turn up from a late flight.
Bar area is very small and situated in the lobby area so do get a lot of noise when you want a quiet drink.
Can be noisy if you have a lower floor as you can hear the traffic during rush hour. You will especially hear the whistles!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
WestinBKK, General Manager at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Nazparmar,

I really apprecaite you taking the time to post and thank you for the feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay along with the very fortunate location that we have in Sukhumvit. Thank you for sharing.

Kind regards,

Charles Jack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I have stayed here a few times over the past 6 weeks and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality and value of the property. As others have mentioned, it is extremely well located and offers access to the BTS (Asoke) and Terminal 21 Mall.
The hotel might not be glitzy in the style of some Bangkok properties, but is extremely comfortable and clean and with a nice ambience. I found the staff to be extremely courteous, welcoming and accommodating.
The lounge is small and while that does create some crowding for evening cocktails, a full breakfast is offered in the restaurant on the second floor as an alternative to the exec lounge.
By way of contrast, the property over the road, preferred and promoted by some reviewers does not have a lounge at all and is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than this one. All things considered, I enjoy my stays here and recommend this hotel as a very nice place to stay and as great value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear bkk p,

Thank you for your feedback and also for your loyalty to us. I am very pleased that you’ve enjoyed your stays over the last 6 weeks and also found the Hotel clean, comfortable with a nice ambiance. I am delighted too that you’ve taken advantage of the Westin Executive Club and enjoyed the familities. We hope to see you very soon.

Stay well,

Asia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I usually stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (SGS) across the road from the Westin. As SGS is in the midst of refurbishing some of its rooms, I decided to check out her affiliated property Westin Grande Sukhumvit in the same area (Asok BTS). I found WGS to be a distant cousin of SGS; my WGS experience was far cry from the warm, personalised and overall impeccable service that I experienced at the SGS.

I booked a 3rd party site's 3 for 2 weekend special with free wifi in public areas, informed them of my ETA18:00 and requested a late checkout till 15:00. I checked in shortly after 7pm on Sat 11/02/13 an off peak timing but the front desk lady took some time to locate my reservation. As my booking was prepaid I asked for a copy of the invoice but was told this could not be done on a weekend and I should approach the front desk again on Monday. What a crappy excuse. I wondered the lady's attitude had anything to do with her fortyish Caucasian male in a pilot's uniform that had just walked up behind me at the front desk. I declined her paid in room wifi option; she reiterated 12pm checkout time and when I explained I had a late flight out of BKK and hoped to do lunch before checking out, the Thai lady turned somewhat impatient, saying that 1pm was 'final' as the hotel was 'full', beyond 1pm "it would be chargeable". Contradictory, no? (At SGS I'm usually offered a comp late checkout till 15:00 or 16:00 depending on the property.)

I didn't get the corner room but was happy with #2210 assigned to me. The hotel may not be new but the room was spacious, inviting, meticulously clean. Everything in the room worked except the tv remote and the only odd encounter was having water mysteriously spilling out of the ceiling (area next to the mini bar) for less than 10secs one night.

I tried to activate wifi on my cellphone twice, once in the lobby 7/F and another time in the restaurant. Wifi was supposed to be free in the public areas but foe both of my attempts I was directed to WGS page that advertized the chargeable wifi options that the front desk lady had promoted during checkin.

While SGS is seamlessly linked to the Asok skytrain station via a skybridge, from the WGS, I had to walk across a slip road to use the upward bound escalator just outside the Terminal 21 Mall to reach the BTS station. Overall, WGS has a great location on the same side of Sukhumvit Road as the Terminal 21 Mall but everything else at this property pales in comparison to SGS on the opposite side of the main road.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Frappezz
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I am going to really pick this hotel apart. My husband and I have been traveling in Asia for three years now. We have been to numerous hotels ranging from $30 a night to $200 a night (USD). This hotel was a major disappointment. This was our second trip to Bangkok. We were here for work this time around. We stayed at three hotels over 10 days because of the different things we were doing while there. The first hotel was Silq. We LOVED it. It is down the road from the Westin, cheaper, modern, nicer and better staff. It lacked a pool, but if you don't need a pool, I highly recommend them. We were really excited to move into our 5 star (or 4) hotel room. Once we got there, it was one big disappointment after another. We bought 2 nights and got one free. That was a nice deal, we thought. When we checked in, we learned there was no breakfast because of that and no Internet ( it would be $10 per day). Didn't seem that upsetting at first because we got one night free. When taken to our room I was SHOCKED. The carpet was dirty, furniture old, paint chipping in bathroom. It was in need of a big remodel for this price tag. The bed did not feel like the heavenly beds I've slept on in the states. The bathroom tiles looked like they were painted to look nicer. There was mold on the tiles in the shower. I went to make coffee and there was still water in the pot from the last people that stayed in our room. It was a terrible experience for such a high priced hotel. The pool area was nice, that was the only thing I liked. I would not recommend this to anyone. It makes the Westin name look awful. Upgrade this place or lower the price. The staff was also not very helpful. It was an ok hotel with a high price tag. Never again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Christy127
Dear Christy127,

Thank you for taking the time to share and I am obviously disappointed in your comments as we always try to achieve the best possible product and service, but sorry we fell short of your expectation. I am sorry that we could not make amends whilst you were here, but if there is an opportunity that we may be able to restore some faith in this stay, please do let me know personally.

Kind regards,

General Manager.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I am an SPG Platinum member and very regular business traveler to Bangkok. I frequently stay at the Sheraton Four Points (another Starwood property) which I cannot fault.

For my last couple of visits however I have stayed at the Westin. I cannot fault the friendliness of the staff at the Westin, they are fantastic across the board. I find this to be common across all the Starwood Brands which is a primary reason why I choose Starwood Hotels where possible.

On my last occasion I stayed in a Suite which was very pleasant indeed. The club floor was a complete let down though. Dull and uninspiring with a poor daily breakfast selection. Each morning it took 45 minutes to get poached eggs. Having just spent 4 days at the fantastic Le Meridien KL club floor, the Westin club floor simply does not rate. The atmosphere lackluster in my opinion.

In the lobby area they have the Zest Bar and Terrace which is great. This is a fantastic place to have a drink and something to eat. They also have a great evening snack menu. If the weather is nice sit out on the terrace and watch the hustle and bustle of Asoke below. Again, the staff here are AWESOME. They also have live music each night. Zest Bar and Terrace I cannot fault - fantastic and fantastic.

My Tip: If you are contemplating booking a room with club floor privileges, then unless it is included with your SPG membership, forgo that and just enjoy their fantastic Zest Bar and Terrace.

Lastly, the Westin is in great location, directly across from Terminal 21 and the Asoke Interchange. Getting to and from the hotel is a breeze.

Had it not been for the club floor I would have happily given this review 5 stars

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank thespgtraveler
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Let me start with the good things I found about this hotel. It is in a great location, steps away from both a BTS station and a Bangkok metro station. So easy access to cheap transport to many places in Bangkok. The hotel is located next to a large mall (Terminal 21) that has a decent selection of food places. It is walking distance to a few good restaurants. Located near the beginning of one of the Bangkok's many night markets. Fun to take a stroll and see what the stalls are trying to sell. Beds are comfortable and have the Westin Heavenly beds.

The bad: the hotel is old and in need of an upgrade. The hotel lobby is a little dreary. The rooms are average but with a decent sized bathroom. However, there were little bugs in the room. They were these incredibly tiny ant like bugs traipsing across the desk in a line. You could barely see them because they are almost transparent but there were a ton of them. Similar to the bugs sometimes found on house plants. I can not tolerate bugs of any kind (even hate lady bugs) so needless to say I was very upset. Requested a new room, and it was granted. They sprayed my new room with insecticide to ensure that there were no bugs. The manager claimed that the insecticide was all natural, but something to think about if you are concerned with being exposed to any insecticides. I, for one, prefer to have a bug free room so was fine with them spraying. Internet was unreliable and not very fast in my room.

I had originally planned to stay 3 nights but moved after the first night because I was uncomfortable with the whole bug situation. Others guests have mentioned the bug problem so it was not an isolated incident. And aside from the bugs, the hotel was just not that great for the price. Bangkok has a plethora of reasonably priced, good, bug-less hotels so I chose to take my business elsewhere. In this instance, to the Sheraton Grand located across the street.

I was disappointed with this hotel. It was not up to typical Westin standards. I am giving it 3 stars (instead of 2) only because it is in a fantastic location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My company have recently secured a corporate rate at this hotel (we have corporate rates at many hotels in BKK). I regularly stay in the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit over the road, which partly shares the same owners, and which is a world class hotel. So thought I would give the lower cost Westin a go.

I am Platinum on Starwood and Diamond on Hilton, and spend about half the year in hotels. A good friend liked the Westin so I was keen to give it a go. Other Westin hotels are among my favourites (the Leipzig for instance, which I will review after my next stay, and the W Barcelona which I have reviewed at 5).

I guess the Westin GS would rate itself 4 Star, but this is SE Asia and that raises the bar a lot compared to Europe or the US. So what is good? Well the rooms are pretty decent, good size, well equipped with tea and coffee etc, a minibar which while it was very expensive by BKK standards (beer was 30 Baht more than Sheraton over the road and that is a 5 Star Deluxe) was available to store your own stuff (the minibar checker told me this was no problem). The bed is a Westin Sweet Sleeper, and is very comfy (Starwood always have very nice beds, and you can actually buy them, the Westin typically sells them half price in August apparently). The by bed remote control was a bit cryptic, so light management took some study, but there was still an old fashioned "do not disturb" sign to hang on the door. Some reviews have complained about the carpets.....I don't think they are that bad, just the wrong choice of colour and texture to keep clean.

Bathroom was an ok size and had separate bath and shower and a sink and toilet. There was no bidet (I only say that as the hotel had a lot of Muslim Guests) but there was a water spray by the toilet. Toiletries were of a high quality.

I didn't get a suite upgrade, which is not a problem but did get exec. lounge access. The Exec lounge is actually very good, and better than many others in Starwood hotels.

So......why the three star review.....well, difficult to say, but the hotel seems to have no soul. The lady that checked us in was, well, almost cold or at least neutral, none of the usual "welcome to our hotel please make it your home etc" you find everywhere in BKK. The hotel has a very odd lay out. You walk into the "lobby" on the ground floor, which looks like a Westin lobby (the only bit of the hotel that does look "westin" really), but then you actually need to get a lift to the 7th floor to check in. The actual lobby is lined on one side by empty conference rooms, which make is seem pretty dead. The staff were polite, but not much more, except the maid in my room, who was a total sweety and restored my faith in Thai staff. (never even been in question in other hotel, and this was probably my 80th stay in BKK).

The hotel has a bar, generic restaurant complex, and a Japanese Restaurant. But nothing else. There are many places to eat near the hotel though (including in the Sheraton where you can room charge to the Westin......I did).

The hotel has a half decent pool and a nice gym (Life Fitness from what I saw).

So the ranking comes down the the brutal Trip Advisor marking system. In the hotel car to the airport I ask my colleague whether to give 3 or 4. We both agreed it would rate 7/10, but that isn't an option. He said " well it isn't a 4 is it" which it isn't, hence I rated it three.

If this is your first Asian hotel you might love it......if not, if you can afford higher price (maybe $30 a night) try the Sheraton over the road, or one of the other highly rated BKK hotels. Of it a tourist try the places on the river. As a frequest traveller BKK may have more affordable great hotels than any other city in the world......spoil yourself if you have spent a fortune on flights.

Room Tip: No real comment here. The Exec Lounge is good though and worth considering if you like a drink and...