“Good location, but watch your baht”
Review of Landmark Bangkok

Landmark Bangkok
Ranked #59 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Portland, Oregon
“Good location, but watch your baht”
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I really liked this hotel, and the staff were fine. The location is great and the rooms are nice. A couple of thoughts: They offered the upgrade, which appeared to be so unworthy of the cost it made me laugh. It wasn't the salesmenship that was off, it was the idea of paying USD50 for breakfast for two in Bangkok that struck me as silly.

Second, I booked through an online travel agent twice and got a much nicer room than when I made a reservation with them directly, for roughly the same price, after their "++" charges (service charges). It could have been the luck of the draw, I suppose, but I would book online next time, for the full disclosure of costs and for the nicer rooms I had.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank carrache

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I have been staying regularly at the Landmark almost since it opened. So taken was I with it that I wouldn't even consider looking at another hotel in Bangkok. It has great location (for me), decent rooms, great staff and restaurants.
Unfortunately this stay left a nasty taste - something seems to have changed.
As usual at check-in they recognised me as a regular and returning client. On some previous occasions (but not all) I have been offered complimentary upgrade. This didn't happen on this visit. Instead I was offered an upgrade at a 'special offer' price. This almost doubled the room rate. I declined and continued with the check in.
Soon afterwards I was presented with another 'special offer', which was half of the original. I could see no difference - I was offered access to Club floor, 10% off all meals taken in the restaurants, free happy hour etc. This I accepted.
I am not adverse to being charged for an upgrade - but it was the manner in which it was done - almost like haggling on the street outside!
Bad move Landmark - we are returning to Bangkok next week with some friends but will be trying the Sheraton or Westin on Sukhomvit instead.
What a pity.
Good points: Staff (except persistent upgrade girl at check-in, but not her fault); Thai restaurant; basement pub, with brill band.
Bad points: Persistent upgrade offers; room not as good as I remember; probably better value elsewhere in vicinity

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank johnybegud
Suffolk
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Landmark for three nights before heading to Phuket. The hotel is ideally situated for the Sky Train, so is a perfect base for exploring Bangkok. We were more than happy with the breakfast which was included in the price. For such a large hotel there didn't seem to be many people around, so breakfast was a quiet and very enjoyable affair. There was loads to choose from and the quality was great. The outdoor pool was great too....quite small but perfect after a tiring day of exploring.

We were travelling as part of my birthday treat and on our first night we were supplied with a beautiful cake and flowers deivered (complimentary) to our room. We didn't inform them that it was my birthday, so they'd obviously look at our dates of birth on our passports! A very nice touch!

I would recommend staying that the Landmark again as a stop over in Bangkok. By the way, The Huntman (an english pub located in the basement) is great fun....resonably priced drinks, live music and a great place for 'people watching'...it was a bit of an eye opener!

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NessSuffolk
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2009

The hotel offers the gracious Thai hospitality and full services, with slightly old fashioned gilt decorations which some may actually like.

Best things about the hotel - proximity to Sky Train station Nana will save you plenty when trying to get around this traffic jammed city; Access to a Fitness First gym ups the ante on providing an in-house gym; Foot massage parlour and plenty of tourist knick knack stalls right outside your door make it easy to include some leisure during your business trip; 5 bars to choose from with every kind of atmosphere to choose from and reasonable prices for a hotel; excellent breakfast buffet with Asian and Western options and an egg/waffle/pancake/noodle soup station.

I would strongly suggest choosing an Club room for the inclusions - 2 pieces of laundry, internet, breakfast in the 31st floor lounge and most importantly if you're there for business the 530pm to 730pm freee cocktail hour with all kinds of drinks included and a snack bar that could double as your dinner. Very good value and excellent service mentality from all staff. There on business and the staff in the Club greeted me by name from day one and knew that we were hosting an event on site even though I was not the one organising it - makes you feel taken care of.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank cabaretstar
UK
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I have stayed in this hotel on and off for the last 10 years and have found it very nice and convenient. However, my most recent stay has been an eye-opener.

Whether it is the current decline in tourism in Thailand that is causing the problem, my entire stay at this hotel has been one of mediocre service and overcharging. I suggest that you are very careful on any extras you may order as they are astronomical in price.

Having agreed a room rate of $100 per night, I discovered on checkout that they had added a 10% service charge on the room rate and tax on top of that!

My suggestion would be to find somewhere that is less interested in hidden charges and more interested in value and service - you have been warned.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank Bonio69
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I have been 3 times in this hotel and in all my visit the experience has been very good. It is well located, in Nana area that is in the heart of Bangkok.
With easy access to highways and within one block from the skytrain that allows you to move around the city very fast considering the crazy traffic of the city.
Rooms are very spacious, new and confortable (most of the floors have been renovated). The staff of the hotel is great, always available and ready to attend any requirement.
There are different options of restaurants in the same hotel.
The pool in 9th floor is big and sorrounded by a nice decoration that allows you to enjoy the sun and the water.
This hotel is a very good option if you are a business man with a tight agenda but looking for entertainment when you go back to hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank ochrisr
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Stayed in the Landmark for 3-4 nights, 7-10 July 2009. Booked the hotel as per recommendation from a colleague who has stayed here several times before -- since they were said to have a really good gym. Unfortunately I never had the time to pay it a visit. Visited quickly the pool area which was a relaxing oasis though.

I highly like the Landmark Hotel and can highly consider coming back next time in Bangkok. Essentially the staff (Roj & CO) were very helpful and friendly. Did not try the breakfast as it was not included in our package, but there are many Starbucks just around the corner. Had a beer in the bar which was fairly expensive, think -10 USD for a bottle of Chang beer.

Free Wifi connection down in the lobby area which functioned flawlessly.

Got an early check-in as we arrived in BKK early in the morning, which was appreciated.

There are many tailors out on the vivid Sukhumvit Street in case any potential traveler would be fishing for tailor made suits or shirts. I am happy we consulted the concierge who recommended a place 5 mins by car away from the Landmark. The place is called Embassy Suit Gallery, and the MD is British. Me and my colleague both had two suits each sewn plus three shirts, with perfect result -- done in 30 hours.

It's a quick metro journey, think 3 stops from Nana station, to Siam Square.

Rooms are OK. Had everything I needed. I am always bringing along my own shampoo + conditioner, but they only supplied shampoo (combined) which may work for men but not women. It was a nice treat to get a plate of fresh fruit and complimentary water though.

Benchmark for taking a taxi to/from BKK airport to the hotel = approximately 400 baht.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business