“fantastic location but hotel rooms seriously need rejuvenation”

Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok
Ranked #40 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 13 December 2011

i stayed at the grand hyatt erawan way back in 2008 and my experience was exceptional. In recent years however i have been staying at the conrad bangkok but this time i decided to return to erawan as i found its location more attractive for shopping and food. I stayed there for 5 nights. On my 2nd night, at 10.55pm i was aroused from sleep from the sound of running bath water from the room above me, room 1704. The walls were permeable to the point i could hear the guest staying above me singing in the bathroom and having a muffled conversation with her partner. Her bath lasted till 11.40pm and at that point i couldn't bear it and took this up with the front desk. They gave me an upgrade for the rest of the stay. All went well this the day of checkup where at around 2pm there wasn't any hot water as there was a breakdown and i had to bathe in cold water. The rooms need a serious upgrading, i found the decor passé and weathered. The beds could do better and the layout and furnishings were exactly the same when i first stayed in 2008. Bedfast could exhibit more variety, we had the same items for the entire stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,927)

Reviewed 13 December 2011

My husband and I stayed in the spa cottage at the Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok for our wedding anniversary. The spa cottages are located on 5th floor as a part of their I.Sawan spa. The room itself was very nice and spacious with a living room, a bedroom, a balcony with sunbeds, a large bathroom with steamroom & great bath tub and of course, a treatment room.The decor was nice and cosy. The Chistmas tree was also a nice touch as it added a festive feel to the room.

The room came with great facilities, free mini bar (with fresh juices, milk, water, fruit plate and ice cream!) with lavazza coffee and gourmet tea selections.

The staff who assisted us upon check in and check out were friendly and helpful.

Complimentary massage was nice but too bad that I had to give it a miss this time.

The only downside of this room is that we could hear the noises from the sky train quite clearly. It didn't bother us very much though.

Overall, a great escape for our weekend.

Many thanks for the hotel team to make it a really nice stay for us. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Choose the spa cottage for special occasion. It really makes a difference.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2011

As hotels go, the Erawan is one of the best. It is located in the heart of the shopping district of Bangkok (Corner of Sukhumvit and Rachadamri Roads), with Skytrain lines just outside the door, but oh so quiet inside. The foyer is beautiful and the service top-notch. We had a room on the 20th floor, with two king single beds which were superb for me and my daughter. We were rather envious of the family in the suite next door - one day we will book that because it looked very grand. But back in our room, the bathroom was excellent, with a deep bath and separate shower and more towels than we could use. The shampoo and conditioner really were that (rather than the dishwashing liquid in some hotels). The turn-down service at night involved getting out the hotel slippers assigned to us and placing them beside our beds on towels (no dirty or cold feet here!). All controls for lights, air-conditioning etc were next to the beds. We had fresh fruit each day, as well as a newspaper. Breakfast (750 baht per person - and that was with internet) was the best I have ever had in any hotel. Check in and check out was easy. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Take the Sky Train to Mo Chit station on weekends to visit Chatuchuk market.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JillBrunswick
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I booked Hyatt Erawan for our stay in Bangkok during Oct'11. There were three of us. We got a nice big room, spacious bathroom and a great view. We had taken a breakfast included plan and the spread in the same was amazing. Cleanliness and service was top class.
However, the one issue I felt with the hotel is the location. It is not as close to the main hustle bustle of Bangkok as probably a few other five/seven stars.

Room Tip: I have a simple rule - the higher, the quieter
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MisterSkyBlue
Reviewed 11 December 2011

A stunning hotel! For my work I have to be in Bangkok almost every week. Most of the times I stay for one night. The Grant Hyatt Erawan always gives me a very ‘welcome home’ feeling which already starts as soon as I walk in at the main lobby. The lobby as a great oriental ambiance and so does the club at the 17th floor overlooking the amazing 18-holes golf course of the Royal Bangkok Sports club. The staff is very friendly and always ready to assist you with anything. If you are looking for a place to stay in Bangkok, this hotel is really THE place to be.

Room Tip: For a relatively small amount extra you can stay at the recency club at level 17th. The breakfast is...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jorren T
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Erawan a few weeks ago and was thrilled with the experience. The service from the Bell Desk to the Room Attendants was second to none as was the room service menu which was impressive. The Gym/Spa was excellent and most certainly Hyatt quality. I hope to stay at this hotel again when I visit Bangkok later next year.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Stylish lobby with elegant facade, hotel has huge basement dining/entertainment area and direct connection to the skytrain via adjoining mall. Ride the elevator right up to the 17th floor Regency Club reception (18,000 Gold Passport redemption points per night). Totally hassle-free and friendly check-in with spontaneous offer of a drink and snacks for happy hour. The experience was repeated at breakfast which was also complimentary so my hotel bill for the night was THB zero !

Comfortable room, slightly noisy with street hum, and nice bathroom albeit with small-ish bathtub. Flat screen telly. Bed was a tad on the hard side so could probably do with an upgrade. Didn't get a chance to use the kettle or mini-bar since it was all so available and easy at the Regency Club lounge.

Further up Sukhumvit than the Westin, so not directly on the street markets but plenty going on and only 60 baht in a tuk tuk to Soi 8 etc.

350 baht by taxi (+70 baht tolls) to the airport early Sunday morning with no dramas.

Without a doubt one of the absolute favourites of Bangkok, hard to fault and easy to enjoy. Would recommend this hotel without question.

Room Tip: Probably even numbered rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo