“Great location, fantastic Thai hospitality”

Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok
Ranked #30 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Antwerp, Belgium
“Great location, fantastic Thai hospitality”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This wasn't my first stay at the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel, I chose to come back to this hotel after having spent many childhood vacations here with my parents. It was exactly as I remembered it; unique lobby, friendly staff and incredible service. On this holiday we stayed here twice, upon our arrival in Bangkok in December and also when we returned to our home country in January. Both occasions were fantastic.

We booked a club room which meant we had free wifi as well as access to the club floor where afternoon snacks were served complimentary for club floor guests. These snacks were very tasty and we got the opportunity to try different ones as they varied day to day! The nice thing about being on a club floor is that you have your own reception desk as opposed to having to go to the ground floor to go to the main reception desk. This meant that check-in and check-out where very quiet and smooth and we never had to wait for assistance. Rooms were pretty standard but nonetheless very comfortable. Yes, as some reviewers agree, they are slightly outdated, however that did not bother us too much.

We ordered room service a few times and on all occasions the food was delivered within 30 minutes. The people were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable on the room service menu and were able to accommodate all of my requests, which I find a lot of hotels lack. The food was, not to our surprise, of high standards and rich in taste. On our second stay we were, again, on the club floor but were given a room next to the elevator. We only noticed the loud noises coming from the elevator shaft when we returned from a day of shopping and it was already 11PM. After calling reception we were moved within 10 minutes to an identical room further down the hall where it was much quieter. The next day we received a box of macaroons with an apology letter saying that this disturbance had been noted in our guest profile and we wouldn't be put next to the elevator again in future stays! Staying next to the elevator was indeed very noisy, but the way the reception team handled it was very professional and I did not expect to get such a lovely card and macaroons.

We used the concierge's services a few times and the gentleman behind the desk was very friendly and helpful (I am sad to say I did not catch his name). He organised ringside boxing tickets for us (which were fantastic!), gave us information about day tours and also told us where to go for good shopping and tattoo parlours. We must have spent easily one hour at the concierge desk but the gentleman was very keen to help.

Generally we found that all the staff were amazing. Everyone smiled, asked us how we were doing and if they could help us with anything. This is a good city hotel because you are in central Bangkok and within walking distance of a lot of nearby attractions. There are also several Sky Train (Metro) stations in the vicinity, the nearest one being 5 minutes away and called Ratchadamri station. If you don't like to take the train, you have the option of walking either next to the roads or on elevated passages above the roads which take you to a lot of different places.

Upon our next trip to Bangkok, it would not be difficult for us to decide to stay here again. The answer would definitely be yes!

Room Tip: All club floor rooms are nice, but generally speaking, do not go for a room next to the elevator as...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs_Tyagi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My boyfriend and I took few weeks before finally decided to stay with Hyatt for our year end holiday. And was a great decision as from the day we arrived we experienced nothing but excellent and professional service also very friendly. Good food in Grand Club Lounge too. A very good value for money as we have breakfast and happy hours included in our room rate. The location is also good as easily connected to BTS (sky train). We are thinking to be back for Easter as we just missed the services and all the good food there. Thank you for making our stay a memorable one.

• Stayed December 2011
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The location is great, with shopping centers, shrines, temples, and the metro right there.

Also, the concierge service was top notch, very knowledgable and with good English skills. In fact, they recommended a Japanese restaurant within walking distance that could easily have been as good as Osaka or Tokyo.

HOWEVER, the rooms are old and you will be surprised that with all the modern rooms in Bangkok, you are stuck in your circa-2000 room.

The hotel manager told me that they are renovating all the rooms by mid-2012.

• Stayed January 2012
Singapore
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Unfortunately I was just stopping here for 1 night so I didn't have time really enjoy the hotel to it's fullest. Really all I can comment on is that the hotel is really beautifully done up and looks fantastic when you first walk in. The rooms are also very nice, spacious and tastefully decorated.

The service is first class. I left some of my stuff in the hotel when I left. They found it, notified me and had it sent to Singapore and didn't even accept any payment for their trouble! Plus I arrived relatively late in the day, can't remember if I made it in time for the typical laundry cut off or not but whatever the case they laundered my clothes and had it delivered very early the next morning as I didn't have much time to hang around.

The food, wherever you have it in the hotel; room service, bar, breakfast buffet etc is really good.

And their business services, i.e. for hosting a conference; equipment, catering, staff etc is also top notch.

Hopefully next time I'll be staying a bit longer to really get to enjoy all its services.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank aka.seth
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Ok, so here is the deal. Overall this hotel is FANTASTIC in every way. Service I give six stars, only because I routinely stay at Park Hyatts, Four Seasons and Mandarins and the service here has been superior to each of the aforementioned. The location is excellent, spa is beautiful and the food has been a gastronomical delight. Only drawback for me is that they don't equip rooms with Bose stereo/iPod chargers. Also, the hotel is definitely old world style and there are little things that could go for an update- perhaps rain showers in the bathrooms (am I being too critical?). Not to harp on the negatives, I'd stay here in a hot second all over again.

PS- if you are here for leisure a MUST DO is the floating market tour. Book through the concierge (half day tour runs about $75 pp) and ask for Pooh as your guide. She is FABULOUS. By far the highlight of our stay in Bangkok.

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Perks included squash court and spa/sauna, great for escaping the Bangkok bustle. A $40 per night upgrade got us wifi and breakfast/evening cocktails, which we took full advantage of. Good location, direct access to the SkyTrain station.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Whats not to like - the service was great, the location is as central as you can get in Bangkok and the breakfast buffet was to die for!! Do stay here if you visit Bangkok.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family