“friendly staff”

Ranked #28 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Jakarta
“friendly staff”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

well...what more can i said, it's a Grand Hyatt Hotels...i'm not gonna review bout the rooms or breakfast, i enjoy the hospitality from the staff. they understand English well and always smile...truly ASIA!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I'm trying my best to be as reasonable and understanding as possible with the Hyatt, but when you advertise as 5 star and charge a certain rate I expect a minimum standard of service in particular areas. Staff here try to very best to accomodate guests and I may just expect too much? I stay here probably twice a month for business so I have a lot of experiences to draw from. Here are my issues this time around. Issue 1: noise from renovation is completely unbearable. I have requested to move up and as far away every time I stay and they try to move me when they can. This time I have been told I need to wait two more days - I have six days reserved. My expectation is that when you know already that I will complain every visit about the noise you should not put me in a room close to it when I check in. Yes, I should probably just go to another hotel if the noise bothers me and stop complaining, but per my company I have to stay here. I understand that there could be some noise and all places have to renovate at some point in their lives, but what I hear now is totally unbearable. I can't even focus on my work and have a headache. Issue 2: Yesterday they had a fire drill lasting some 30 minutes. Understandable and I am glad they take fire safety seriously. I am also glad they had a written notice on the desk in my room about it (a verbal notice would have been better as most people don't read the note on the desk). My complaint here is that the note said explicitly that there would not be any disruption to the power supply. However, we they had the fire drill the elevators were shut down for close to thirty minutes leaving me stuck on the 19th floor. This was not mentioned at all in the notice. I had to be in a meeting and was made very late by the fact that I couldn't get down to the lobby. Eventually I walked down 19 flights of stairs to get to the bottom. Issue 3: call it minor but if you are a 5 star hotel there should never be these kind of lapses. Complaint here is delivery of the wrong newspaper. I have requested that I be delivered Bangkok Post everyday as I need it for my job. However, this morning I was delivered the wrong paper. I called to ask why and if they had the Bangkok Post and they said yes. Staff promptly delivered the correct paper, but this is just annoying that you can't complete a simple task like this, given that it is listed on my account which paper to deliver. The upside of this hotel is that they do have a good kitchen in terms of Thai food relative to some other hotels I have been to in BKK. The staff also do their best to accomodate me - I feel like I am always complaining when I stay here and feel bad, but at the 5 star level you have to get certain things right all the time. Last time I stayed here the refrigerator was not working when we arrived and the aircon temp gauge was not working either. Rather than move us to a different room they decided that the would turn my room into a construction zone, laying out painters tarps all over the floor and dismantling the entire a/c unit with all kinds of equipment. This was not what I want to come back to after long meetings. The staff moved me after I complained about this. When my company pays a lot of money for a room, the guest should not have to come back to a room that looks like it under construction with three workers, equipment and parts everywhere.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim H
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Spent six nights at the Erawan for business. Very nice hotel, and despite having a minor room mix up the first night after a very late check-in, the rest of the stay was pleasant. Was very impressed with the conference room staff and how accompdating they were. Will definitely stay here next time I'm in Bangkok.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank stamfordtraveler72
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Me and the family have stayed here many times and have only just ot around to saying thank you for all the excellent service.

Location is great, breakfast great, and even though the rooms may be slightly old style - the service is excellent. The only place to stay in Bangkok!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I've stayed many times at the Grand Hyatt Erawan, and I really love the place. The location is right in the center of Bangkok's shopping district, steps from the Skytrain, and close to most Embassies. The lobby somehow manages to be both monumental and soothing. The staff are friendly, energetic, and helpful. The rooms and bathrooms are comfortable and often beautiful. There are fresh-cut orchids everywhere, and there's usually a basket of tropical fruit in the room. The gym is well-equipped, although it's often crowded, and there's an inviting pool that's big enough for swimming laps. There are several good restaurants and lounges, including one of each in the main lobby and the pleasant and inexpensive "You and Mee" noodle house in the lower lobby.

The only reason I don't stay at the Hyatt even more often is the price. The standard rate is in the $300 range. Most other Bangkok hotels that start out in this range (the Conrad, Le Meridien, Plaza Athenee, Millennium Hilton, and others) often have discount rates under $150, but this is rare at the Hyatt.

My most recent stay was my first ever on the "executive level". I used a Hilton Honors Diamond suite upgrade; it was nice to have a living room, but the bedroom was pretty much the same as the other rooms in which I've stayed at the Erawan. The "Grand Club" was nice enough, and the evening drinks and hors d'oeuvres there were good, but the breakfast buffet in the Club is not as extensive as the truly impressive one in the lobby restaurant. And the Club, although it is on the 17th floor and has nice views, nevertheless has a more crowded feel than the restaurant in the main lobby. So the executive level does not add a lot to the already excellent Erawan experience.

I have noticed only two small areas for improvement: First, the door to the covered ramp that connects the hotel to the Skytrain does not open until 10 a.m. and then closes at 9 p.m., so guests at the Hyatt who want to use the train during earlier or later hours must leave the hotel and walk to one of the outside stairways to the Chit Lom station. Second, the live music in the Spasso lounge on the lower level seems to be of the loud-for-the-sake-of-loud variety; this not only makes the lounge itself an unpleasant place to be after 10 p.m. or so, it also means that hotel guests on lower floors may hear the music and/or feel its vibrations in their rooms until the early hours of the morning.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AssimilatedCajun
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 August 2012

As a diamond member, I do get extra privileges however when it comes to ambience overall this is the best in all the hotels I stayed ..
- perfect location for shopping malls
- proximity to chitlom BTS
- they is a sky walk connecting all shopping malls including erawan mall in which Hyatt is located
- nearby Siam square and MBK malls
- overall staff is very attentive and response is quick
The only downside I see in the hotel is tr rooms are bit outdated and needs renovation which is ongoing ..

Overall this hotel is highly recommended

• Stayed August 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 August 2012

For several years I "commuted" to Bangkok for work and during that time the Erawan became my 'home away from home'. The location is excellent, very near a BTS stop and there's plenty of great shops and restaraunts nearby. The service is absolutely wonderful from top to bottom. Their own restaraunts are highly recommended and there's a nice bar with pretty good bands in the evening. Amidst the hustle and bustle of Bangkok, the Grand Hyatt Erawan is a wonderful oasis. If you opt for the Club room, you won't want to miss the 'snacks' and drinks in the evening and the outstanding breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business