“Great Hotel”

Ranked #28 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Zis hotel eez a veeeeeeeeery luxuriously posh hotel. Zit's de best zat I've ever stayed. Ze breakfast spread eez certainly fit for a king weef chocolate fondue. Ze hotel haz a clever use of floor-to-ceiling mirror zat enlarges ze hotel room. Zey haf excellent service such zat when anyone eez missing, zere will be someone holding a whiteboard weef two bells attached to ze side of the whiteboard and ze name of ze missing person clearly written on zit.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The Hotel is very luxurious, and what you would expect from a 5 star Hotel
I booked a king room, no smoking. When I arrived however they were unable to supply me this room and as an alternative moved me to a room with 2 single beds on the top floor where building work is taking place
I was warned that I should expect noise from 1000 hrs – 1800hrs.As they were unable to provide me with the type of room I had booked some months prior and for the inconvenience of the noise from the building work I was offered free Wi-Fi in my room, which as everyone on the planet is aware costs nothing to the Hotel.
The room was very luxurious indeed and as good as any room I have stayed in
What soured my stay at the Hotel however was the following. I booked and paid for a 2 night stay. My flight was changed during the first day and as such I had to check out after one night. I did not ask for, or expect any refund for the second night that I had paid for in full , but when I politely suggested that they perhaps thrown in a free breakfast, some fruit and coffee I was told very clearly NO!
Considering the following –
They already have my money for the second night stay,
They were unable to supply me the type of room I had booked
There was construction noise during the day
They did not have to bear the cost of cleaning the room for the second day
They could re let the room that was paid for in full

I think throwing in a free breakfast which would have cost the Hotel “Didley squat “would have been a very reasonable gesture, but alas no, they considered this request a bridge too far

As such I cannot recommend this Hotel and I left with a very cold feeling towards the staff. There are several good 5 star Hotels in Bangkok, I will give my hard earned cash to another Hotel on my next visit.

Well done to the Hyatt for alienating a long standing client

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank nigel1401
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 September 2012

The Grand Hyatt in Bangkok goes above and beyond for its guests.

I stayed here on my honeymoon for one night en route to Ko Samui. The GM of the hotel sent up a bottle of Champagne and a Chocolate fondue fountain with fresh fruit. What a great way to start a honeymoon...Thank You!

Full disclosure: I am a Hyatt preferred member with frequent visits to Hyatts, so they might not do this for everyone. That said, I have never stayed at the Bangkok hotel and the GM went out of his way to make my experience special.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Have stayed there twice this year - both times on business trips.
But would definitely recommend it for those coming to Bangkok for tourism (and surely - shopping!)
It's right next to several landmarks:
- Skywalk
- Siam Sq.
- shopping malls: Siam Paragon, Central World, Chidlom....
Roomes are authentic, toiletries are all you can wish for in a hotel, and the breakfast is dreamy :)

Room Tip: NOT 1425 (or i assume numbers around **25), as it's close to cleaner's room, and the doors a...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Jakarta
Reviewed 11 September 2012

well...what more can i said, it's a Grand Hyatt Hotels...i'm not gonna review bout the rooms or breakfast, i enjoy the hospitality from the staff. they understand English well and always smile...truly ASIA!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I'm trying my best to be as reasonable and understanding as possible with the Hyatt, but when you advertise as 5 star and charge a certain rate I expect a minimum standard of service in particular areas. Staff here try to very best to accomodate guests and I may just expect too much? I stay here probably twice a month for business so I have a lot of experiences to draw from. Here are my issues this time around. Issue 1: noise from renovation is completely unbearable. I have requested to move up and as far away every time I stay and they try to move me when they can. This time I have been told I need to wait two more days - I have six days reserved. My expectation is that when you know already that I will complain every visit about the noise you should not put me in a room close to it when I check in. Yes, I should probably just go to another hotel if the noise bothers me and stop complaining, but per my company I have to stay here. I understand that there could be some noise and all places have to renovate at some point in their lives, but what I hear now is totally unbearable. I can't even focus on my work and have a headache. Issue 2: Yesterday they had a fire drill lasting some 30 minutes. Understandable and I am glad they take fire safety seriously. I am also glad they had a written notice on the desk in my room about it (a verbal notice would have been better as most people don't read the note on the desk). My complaint here is that the note said explicitly that there would not be any disruption to the power supply. However, we they had the fire drill the elevators were shut down for close to thirty minutes leaving me stuck on the 19th floor. This was not mentioned at all in the notice. I had to be in a meeting and was made very late by the fact that I couldn't get down to the lobby. Eventually I walked down 19 flights of stairs to get to the bottom. Issue 3: call it minor but if you are a 5 star hotel there should never be these kind of lapses. Complaint here is delivery of the wrong newspaper. I have requested that I be delivered Bangkok Post everyday as I need it for my job. However, this morning I was delivered the wrong paper. I called to ask why and if they had the Bangkok Post and they said yes. Staff promptly delivered the correct paper, but this is just annoying that you can't complete a simple task like this, given that it is listed on my account which paper to deliver. The upside of this hotel is that they do have a good kitchen in terms of Thai food relative to some other hotels I have been to in BKK. The staff also do their best to accomodate me - I feel like I am always complaining when I stay here and feel bad, but at the 5 star level you have to get certain things right all the time. Last time I stayed here the refrigerator was not working when we arrived and the aircon temp gauge was not working either. Rather than move us to a different room they decided that the would turn my room into a construction zone, laying out painters tarps all over the floor and dismantling the entire a/c unit with all kinds of equipment. This was not what I want to come back to after long meetings. The staff moved me after I complained about this. When my company pays a lot of money for a room, the guest should not have to come back to a room that looks like it under construction with three workers, equipment and parts everywhere.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim H
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Spent six nights at the Erawan for business. Very nice hotel, and despite having a minor room mix up the first night after a very late check-in, the rest of the stay was pleasant. Was very impressed with the conference room staff and how accompdating they were. Will definitely stay here next time I'm in Bangkok.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business