“very nice hotel”

Ranked #29 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Wiener Neustadt
“very nice hotel”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Although old hotel (especially from outside) rooms are very nice, location is also good as 5 min from skytrain and a lot of shopping centers. Extras like spa expensive, count with about 90 EUR for 90 min massage. Massage was ok, they take very much care that serious massage is offered.
Was dining in Spasso Restaurant - food and price was ok nothing amazing but good. Important to know that a lot of woman seeking contact are there. Therefore not recommandable to eat with family there.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GerdfromAustria
Adam Z, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear GerdfromAustria,

Greetings from Bangkok and many thanks for staying at Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback via Tripadvisor.

Rest assured that your comments will be shared with our teams. Though I was delighted to read that you found our unique location and services to your liking, I was disappointed to see that Spasso Restaurant, overall, did not meet your expectations. We continue to work on enhancing our menu and service in this, our Italian, restaurant and your review of it will assist in doing so.

I look forward to your return to our hotel and to meet you in person. Should your travel plans include Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok in the future, I do hope to have the opportunity to invite you to a meal in Spasso. I may be reached via adam.zilber@hyatt.com and look forward to hearing from you.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed with my wife at the Hyatt during our honeymoon in Thailand. We stayed 3 nights in a suite with access to the club (was closed at the time so located on the 2nd floor). Hotel was really great all around. The room service was delicious as were the onsite restaurants. Hotel even gave us a chocolate fountain to celebrate our honeymoon (really nice touch!).

Our suite was recently renovated and was beautiful. Included toto toilets in both the powder room and full bath. Room was very high tech!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Adam Z, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Stuart6387,

Many thanks for making Grand Hyatt Erawan your preferred hotel during your visit to Bangkok in November 2013. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our team was able to exceed your expectations while on your honeymoon.

You will be pleased to hear that our Grand Club, along with all other room renvoations, has been completed on the 17th floor. Feedback since its opening in December 2013 have been extremely positive both for its design, food offerings and the service our team provides. I would love to see you and your wife celebrate your one year annivesary in our hotel, and it would my pleasure to invite you both to dinner.

Please feel free to contact me directly via adam.zilber@hyatt.com should your travel plans once again include our hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Having read glowing reviews of the hotel, we were, sadly, a bit underwhelmed. The lobby is spectacular but we found the service a bit choppy. The bellhop with our bags escorted us to the Club Floor check in and advised us that he would put our bags in our room (so we tipped him). We had to wait a little as we decided to use points to do a last minute upgrade to a suite and it took a little time for one to be identified. When we got to our room, our bags weren't there -- but we weren't overly concerned. Shortly after, they were delivered by a different bellhop -- and as we had no more small bills were unable to tip him [and we had already given what I thought to be a reasonably decent tip to the first one..] It was a bit awkward as he paused a bit before leaving the room but we had nothing to give him.

The suite itself was a nice enough corner suite but the bathroom seemed a bit clunky with lots of corners and cubby holes. [It was also quite annoying if you have to go to the bathroom during the night as the lights are a push button control that isn't lit up unless the lights are on -- so you have to randomly run your finger over the switch in the dark trying to activate the light -- easier said than done!] The sitting area of the room was quite lovely and the bed was excellent quality, allowing for a good sleep.

The club lounge seemed a bit hit or miss. We were there three nights and two of those nights there were families with small children -- some of whom weren't the best behaved. One night we actually moved from one side of the lounge to the other to get away from a screaming child. The food during happy hour was quite nice (and one night it was actually quite substantial so you could have had your evening meal there if you wanted). The smoked salmon served in the lounge is very good.

Breakfast in the lounge seems a bit limited but the omelets were excellent. As to the space itself, it seems rather "retro-modern" with a Mad Men look and feel about it. I would have liked to have seen some overstuffed chairs or sofas to rest and relax. Overall, it's an ok lounge but I just cannot bring myself to rave about it like some others have [and compared to the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong lounge, which granted is much bigger, it just didn't have that club lounge feel to it.]

We booked some massage appointments for the Friday afternoon and the massages themselves were lovely. The set up is a bit strange though as they first send you to the steam room to change (and we took advantage of the sauna pre-massage) but then you walk through the main hall to a sitting area to fill out forms pre-massage and then are escorted past an outdoor eating area to a treatment room by the pool (wearing your bathrobe and flip flops...). I think I would have preferred to have changed in the treatment room (and quite frankly, the treatment rooms are a great space and we could have filled out the pre-massage questionnaire there...)

Our biggest complaint about the stay had to be a breakdown in communication on the Friday night with the doorman. We went down to catch a taxi to meet friends for dinner and were told that it was very busy and that it would take a while. It was 545 and our dinner was at 630. A few minutes before 6, the doorman asked what time we needed to be at the restaurant and we told him. He said that we would get there in time. A taxi then came and 6 and off we went. A couple of minutes from the hotel, the cab driver told us that he wanted 300 RMB to continue to drive us ("since it was rush hour") and when we refused he tried to kick us out of the taxi. We convinced him to drive us back to the hotel and he dropped us on the road. When we went back to the doorman, he didnt seem all that surprised that the taxi driver wouldn't take us and then proceed to tell us that "oh well... it would have taken an hour to get there..."!! He then gave us instructions to take the Sky Train [if he had told us in the first place that it would have taken an hour by taxi, we would have taken the Sky Train from the get go...] Needless to say we were nearly a half hour late but that could have been avoided if the doorman had been more helpful when we explained where we wanted to go [and we had it written out in Thai so there should have been no misunderstanding.]

During our stay, we also sent some things to be laundered. They were sent in the afternoon of our arrival and according to the form would be returned by 4PM the following day -- since we hadn't made the morning cut off for same day service. We actually had to call about 430 the following day to see where our laundry was -- as we needed one of the shirts to wear out that evening.

For the price that we paid (in room rate plus points for the upgrade), I would have expected a more luxurious experience. While some of those 5 star aspects were there, there were enough little hiccups that I cannot in good conscience give a glowing review like others have.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TristanEF
Adam Z, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear TristanEF,

Thank you for making Grand Hyatt Erawan your hotel of choice during your recent visit to Bangkok. It was a pleasure meeting you though I am disappointed that we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. I attempted to email you directly so that we may set up a time to chat further over the phone, and do hope you read my response here.

My sincere apologies for the various shortfalls in service that you experienced. Rest assured that your comments will be shared with our teams, as it is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to continue and improve the level of service we seek to provide. We will review the two situations you mentioned that pertained to our Front Drive and Bell Staff. Your arrival experience, the welcome to the hotel, should have been smoother. Furthermore, our team should have been more proactive in asking you about your dinner reservations, when they were for, and thus be able to properly direct you as to the best way to get to your destination.

It was disappointing to read that you did not find our Grand Club to your liking. We have been receiving great positive feedback about the Club's design but do appreciate that some people may not find this style appealing to them. Nevertheless, I do understand your frustration with having to listen and see unruly children in the Grand Club. We do offer a separate room that families with young children may use, but our associates should have addressed the matter before you had to move seats. We have also noted your comments regarding the spa treatment sequence as well as our welcome experience, and will implement measures to enhance this experience.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the various situations you have mentioned. I hope to have the opportunity to chat with you personally and welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok in the near future.

In the meantime, please feel free to reach me via adam.zilber@hyatt.com should you require any further assistance.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I have tried many five star hotels in BKK and after my recent stay at the Hyatt I would have to rank this among my favourites. The hotel has a lovely old world charm about the place but remains chic and elegant in it's furnishings. The service is exactly what you would expect of five star Asian hospitality - first class. The location and amenities are super and there are a couple of great nightspots downstairs from wining and dining. Hyatt have done a really great job with this property.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 5StarSteve,

First of all great TA nickname!

Many thanks for making Grand Hyatt Erawan your preferred hotel during your recent visit to Bangkok. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our team was able to exceed your expectations.

I do hope that your future travel plans once again include our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home". Please feel free to contact me direcly via adam.zilber@hyatt.com once your travel plans are confirmed as I would appreciate the opportunity to invite you to a drink in Spasso, our Italian Restaurant and Night Club.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I love the location of the hotel with the train right next to it and plenty of shopping within walking distance. The rooms were nice and clean with plenty of amenities. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear LAGuy90019,

Warm greetings from Thailand's "City of Angels".

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit to Grand Hyatt Erawan and thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback.

I do hope that your future travel plans once again include our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home". Please feel free to contact me direcly via adam.zilber@hyatt.com once your travel plans are confirmed.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Looks like a heritage building in the midst of bustling Bangkok. Once you step in, it looks like most modern hotels. The service at the front desk is efficient, friendly and welcoming. Accompanied to your room by a guest relations staff, most facilities of the hotel and the rooms are explained in detail. Dining at any of the hotels outlets sounds a feast. I tried the lobby lounge and the all day diner. The fare was excellent. Spazzo, the night club is vibrant and features a live band. Drinks are a tad overpriced, but that's to be expected at most good night spots in Bangkok. Overall I stayed two days and found the hotel to be convenient, and service par excellence.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear 747Aviator787,

Greetings from Bangkok and many thanks for making Grand Hyatt Erawan your preferred hotel on this visit to Thailand.

I was delighted to read your positive comments about our hotel, the service and food outlets, we provide and the service provided to you by our teams. Rest assured that your comments will be shared with our associates.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back to our hotel and to inviting you to a drink in Spasso. Do let me know if you travel plans once again include Bangkok and please feel free to contact me directly via adam.zilber@hyatt.com.

Hotel Managr
New Delhi
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel has a wonderful location in the heart of Bangkok! A great lobby and a grand entrance! We checked into a club room and found it to be one of the most poorly decorated rooms ever! The pieces of furniture such as the work table and the fridge cabinet are highly over sized! You get a feeling like all the pieces are going to fall on you! The bathroom is very small! There is no temperature control on the panel! Only 1-2-3 as levels of temp control! No fruit baskets or any welcome accessories! Must say i would never choose this hotel to stay in! No value for money! Hotels next door such as Holiday Inn or Intercontinental are much better choices!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear MaggieNewDelhi,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay in Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok.

Though I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our unique and central location and the service we provided, I was disappointed and surprised to see that you did not feel the same about our newly-renovated guestrooms.

We have been receiving very positive feedback about their design thus far, but do appreciate that a particular style of design may not appeal to everyone. I do hope we have the opportunity to host you again in the future. Perhaps you will find a different room type more suitable to your taste and I would be more than happy to assist in facilitating this for you.

I may reached at adam.zilber@hyatt.com and look forward to hearing from you.

Hotel Manage