“will be back soon!”
Review of Baiyoke Sky Hotel

Baiyoke Sky Hotel
Ranked #294 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 23 April 2012

love this hotel 5 years ago and will be coming back this september...love the buffet breakfast variety, the revolving deck, the pool and the shopping!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,992)

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed in a Presidential Suite 1 room. Rate 9,000 baht or $300.00 U.S. Dollars, didn't get our own check in as promised, waited about 20minutes before we were checked in and little to no eye contact or words from reception of they even had my reservation.

I asked how much longer will this take to check in considering there were 5 people behind the counter and only myself and 3 others checking in. I asked if the room requested booked on the website were met. IE: 23 Celsius temperature, 8 pillows in total, and fruit and flowers are in the room waiting for our arrival ice and coke also.. He nodded his head at me in a positive fashion but didn't look at me or make words. Website said our room came with a representative to show us our room never came with us.

Our luggage arrived to the room after i called the front desk to send it up cause I assumed it was already in the room or coming with us. About an hour later the luggage arrived after i called.

The room was hot, no extra pillows, no ice, cola was in the wet bar in both fridges, no extra blanket, no fruit tray, no flowers also.

1 entry room had a desk, refrigerator, coffee table, L-shape couch and a small 30" plasma, and a guest bathroom. Guest bathroom had no towels, no towel rack no mirror but had a small hotel bar of soap a sink, toilet and toilet paper dispenser no trash can.

Bedroom had a 1 person chair, golf carpet, 5 golf balls, 1 putter, 2 night stands, 1 bed King, desk and chair with 30'' tv a clock radio at the desk FAR from the bed, a phone 2 lamps THATS it in that huge room that could fit about 30 people. LOTS of windows but has some wierd screen covering your view and obscuring the clarity.

Closet had 2 robes, 2 sets of slippers, shoe horn, safe, hangers, and a nice bathroom.

Bathroom included a jet tub, toilet that had a seat warmer and water jets and a nice shower.
We felt the room was plain and without paintings, wall hangings and felt like a 3-4 star room but very large with an amazing view with some obscured view due to a screen of some type over the glass.

Since Baiyoke Sky Hotel is a tourist destination it was packed with tourists so we used our VIP gold key card to jump in lines at the lifts.

Staff ushered us forward in line once we flashed the VIP GOLD KEY CARDS. The breakfast buffet felt rushed and hot. We got lucky and sat near the window not cause of the room reservation since we were told sit anywhere you find a seat. VIP GOLD KEY CARD didn't have the same power in the breakfast buffet. Then a man in a suit came over and talked to us asked if we wanted coffee or anything else before they close.
Suddenly he with his hands over his cheeks like PA yelling no more new food get what you want now we close in 10 minutes.

The service staff finally showed up to offer us coffee while the man kept yelling over all the people in the buffet line.

I felt the food was ok and it came with the room as a included perk so we thought we'd check it out. We didn't eat much of what was on our plates. We just left, it was hot and people yelling to get your food and get out turned us off as a bad experience.

We left ourselves open to book additional nights but we instead kept to the one night booking and left.

Positive: lots of shopping around the hotel if you are into basement shops with dirt cheap prices and old packed to walls shops.
If you want to shop Siam Paragon is a a taxi cab away and worth the wait.
We went to the observation deck which was great but packed. So many russians pushing and shoving it was tough to get a photo in and tough to get into the screen to see out.

We won't return to this hotel, most to all the perks of booking a Presidential Suite weren't as promised and we had to request those perks like flowers and fruit tray. We received those flowers and fruits late that afternoon. I never received my pillows and blanket and ice.

The same evening i called again for ice buckets and food. We ordered snacks and ice and coca cola. I recieved 2 buckets of ice which cost me 200 baht. FYI my Thai girlfriend ordered the second time in Thai to a Thai person and still all we got was the ice. I understand thai enough to know she ordered the same as me.

When we wanted a restaurant reservation we were told we had to call a reservations phone line. Then when I did I was instructed to go to a floor for restaurant reservations in person. I felt it was a not worth it so we booked at a different restaurant called Chocolate Ville in Bangkok about 40 minutes cab ride away.

Unfortunately we were hounded by the cab drivers out side to visit the best Thai restaurant a 5 minute cab ride away. We were told by the cab drivers the soccer match was out and it would take 2 hours to go to our reservation when we can just go to the best Thai restaurant in Thailand and with cheap prices no plates more than 100 baht. This is the conversation also lies told to my Thai girlfriend.

I can't say we will return to this hotel. I just dont ever see us returning. We had to fight to get the basics of room service and house keeping and even the perks of the presidential suite with little to no success.

I paid 1,000 baht extra to check in early and check out late.
I will do the Marriott or Sheraton next time for better service and faster service as well. I prefer hotel taxi or transfer service over street cabs and there is no parking for your private limo or cab in the front you are forced to wait outside with your luggage for security to allow bus loads of tourists to bump into you and shoppers to hit you with their shoulders and bags.

We called this hotel a 3 star for service with a 3.5 star room
but as a * the size of room was 4 but so big and empty... no paintings, lacking furnishings lacking character.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite was nice, ask for a room with no obscured view yet be adviced Reception will say...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LUVFUD
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We had a dinner at the restaurant on the 82nd floor and it was very good. Buffet dinner for 690 Baht per person excluding drinks, it had a wide selection of Thai, Japanese, European, and Tex Mex cuisines, and plenty of seafood. Most cocktails go for 130 Baht. Good service. Amazing city skyline views. No smoking area on that level, and unfortunately we were not allowed to enter the balcony on the 81st floor to enjoy an after-dinner smoke unless we paid for a full dinner at the restaurant on the 81st floor (890 Baht per person), which I found ridiculous. I would suggest this place for large groups, small groups, families with kids. NOT a good idea for romantic dinner due to a lack of that very atmosphere you'd probably be looking for.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank OlgaGrigoreva
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We enjoyed the stay in Baiyoke Sky tower, despite some of its shortcomings. The reception lobby is at 18th floor and the rooms / dining areas are located further up.

PROS-
1. It is a landmark building, being the tallest one in Thailand.
2. Great views, specially if you take rooms in space zone. Better view from buffet zones and best view from open rooftop at some 80+ floor.
3. Buffet breakfast is VERY GOOD and an elaborate spread. No problem with finding seats etc.
4. Service is reasonably efficient, though a tad impersonal.
5. Large number of malls/ street shopping options right at the entrance of the hotel. 'Shopper's paradise' - the area is.
6. Some previous comments indicated that using lifts during rush hour is a concern. Personally, I did not find it an issue. Lift for visitors (to the building and rotating rooftop, etc) was separate and living-in guests had access to independent set of lifts.
7. Access to the airport train stop, about 3-5 minutes walk.
8. Hourly shuttle service to SIAM PARAGON. A cab costs 50-70 B, if you do not take the shuttle.
9. No complaints on room amenities/bathrom/cleanliness etc.

CONS
1. Location - access streets to the hotel are perpetually thronging with people and vehicles alike, although the hotel security does a good job of managing the cabs in a manner that at any given time, cabs are available for guests.
2. Late nights, say after 11 pm the streets in the area tend to be a bit seedy. May not be a comfortable feeling for families, if you wish to remain outdoors during those hours.
3. Excessive charges for wi-fi (200B per day, if I remember correctly).
4. Reception and common areas are always busy with tourists (staying ones) and visitors. If you are looking for quiet and calm, this is not the place.

Room Tip: Rooms in Space Zone, though pricey would offer better views. Be advised though, that windows in all...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank indi11
Reviewed 17 April 2012

we stayed there for 2 nights and it was really good. In the hotel you will find nice restaurants, the rooms are nice and clean and staff is friendly. There is nothing agains this place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank michasia87
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This hotel is well located just a 5 minute walk from the Airport link City line train which takes you to the airport in half an hour, thus avoiding the usual Bangkok traffic jams.

The hotel has impressive views but is also very busy and takes a while to get around the floors you need. Reception is on the 18th, breakfast on 78 or 82, and the pool on 20!

The whole hotel is looking a little worn out and could do with a refurbishment, but if you can get a good deal through one of the sites out there it's worth staying at.

The buffet breakfast was excellent with a huge array of cuisines to choose from.

I used the spa facilities which were reasonably priced and nicely done. The massage was great.

There is a street market just outside, and Indra Square (an internal shopping mall) just across the road.

Always seemed to be plenty of taxis and tuk tuks around if you want to go further afield.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Valmade
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The tallest building in Thailand called us to spend five days of their honeymoon. Impressive building and amazing view of the chamber floor 68, the fascinating feeling of the pool floor 20 above the city. Restaurant for breakfast is the floor 81 and there I found the biggest breakfast. All around the floor are tables with various dishes. Thai, Japanese, Chinese, American, European breakfast ... everything you could imagine and yet many dishes that you do not imagine.
The hotel is very close, five minutes walk from the Skytrain station, which connects the airport to central Bangkok in 15 minutes (five euros one way).
Baiyoke Sky Hotel is near a large bazaar, where you can find all the wonders of the world (I bought my slippers that said Google) and delicious food prepared in front of you to stall. Seafood, pasta, barbecue chicken, pork, lamb, fish, fresh fruit, fresh juices, all delicious. To me were better than anything I ate at the restaurant. Everywhere are tuk tuk drivers, who drive crazy but make you laugh when gonesc and filtered through cars, trucks and buses. Tip - negotiate the price, tuk tuk drivers ask for more but eventually accept half the original price (which I believe is the correct one, or so I like to think).
The bad is the camera that need to be refreshed: furniture, carpet, everything. Then I had the unpleasant experience WIFI. It is not free, as you'd expect from a four star hotel. Although I paid, I could not connect to the Internet. And the receptionist explained that iPad tablet is not compatible with my network and refused to return the 12 euros that I paid for a service that I used! Unacceptable!
Overall, it was an unforgettable experience, both with good and the bad.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple