“This Conrad Shines”

Conrad Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #84 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I recently stayed at the Conrad Bangkok (August 17-20). Check in was the most professional and expediant I have ever experienced. There was no desk check in. The hotel rep escorted us to our room to see if it met our approval and once confirmed, we signed the check in form and were done.
The room was in the category of Executive Junior Suite corner location (recommend). The room was large, business functional with a very large bathroom (separate shower and large tub). The business lounge was exceptional with well prepared food and a generous choice of beverages.
The Staff: This hotel does it right. Every person we had contact with was professional, polite and could not do enough to make our stay a delight.
Location: This hotel is a short walk to Bangkok Central area and the always available cabs were there to take us to more distant locals.
Overall opinion: This is the hotel to stay at while in Bangkok for business or pleasure.
Frank Shea fshea@alphagp.com

Room Tip: Recommend a corner room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,312)

Reviewed 25 August 2012

I only stayed one night at the Conrad, and I used Hilton HHonors points. I had been torn between staying at the Milllenium Hilton and the Conrad Bangkok, so I split my three nights in Bangkok (two at the Hilton and one at the Conrad) to see both properties and have convenient access to different areas in Bangkok. Overall, although there were aspects of this hotel that I preferred to the Hilton, the delay with the check-in (see below) and a couple of other things were a little disappointing for a Conrad property in Asia.

Check-in, check-out, service: I arrived at the Conrad about an hour before check-in time. Given my Hilton HHonors Diamond status, I was escorted to the Executive Lounge, where I was informed that there would be a short wait while they finished getting my room ready. I was offered something to drink and seated at a table. A short time later, one of the staff members came over to do the paperwork and told me my room would be ready shortly. I did some reading and stuff on my laptop but started to get impatient after an hour when no one had come back to check me in. I approached the staff about 15 minutes later, and there seemed to be some confusion, and it still was another 30 minutes or longer before I was given my room, Ultimately, this wasted about 2.5 hours of my time and frustrated me, because I would have preferred that they be upfront with me when I arrived about what time I would be able to check in, so I could have had them store my luggage and gone out instead of sitting in the lounge that long. Other than the check-in experience, service and check-out were fine.

Room: I had a deluxe corner king room on one of the Executive floors, and it was a pretty nice. This room had more local influence in the design than other Conrads, although the bathroom was the more typical Conrad modern style. The room was fine for me, but not overly large. The bath products were not the Acca Kappa products that other Conrads (Tokyo, Singapore, and Hong Kong) had.

Dining: I only had food in the executive lounge (evening drinks and appetizers, light breakfast). I got to the lounge towards the end of the evening appetizer period, and although some items were gone or sparse, they did continue to bring out some food. I don’t remember the food besides a satay, so I would guess it was average or below for a Conrad lounge. I do recall a lack of good desserts, which I have enjoyed in other lounges. I only wanted a light breakfast at the lounge on the morning of my departure, so I didn't try most of the offerings.

Hotel amenities: Given the limited time I was at the hotel, I did not have an opportunity to experience much of its amenities. I did look at the gym (checking it out for a possible future visit). During the time I was there, the gym was set up in a temporary location since they were renovating the regular room, but I did see the equipment (and staff member confirmed the same equipment would be in the new room), and found it to be on the old and low-end side for a Conrad.

Location: Given the short amount of time I spent in Bangkok, the location seemed convenient. The Conrad was a short walk to the skytrain (or the hotel had a shuttle), and there was a small shopping mall connected to the hotel and other shopping, dining, etc. nearby.

If I can answer any questions, please send me a PM.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Beachdreams2
GMConradbkk, General Manager at Conrad Bangkok Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear Beachdream2,

Thank you for providing us your helpful feedback and I do apologize to read the challenges you encountered with our service during the check-in. All other areas have been noted and shared with my team for our improvement.

Looking forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Warmest regards, Vincent

Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stay in this hotel 6 days for a summer vacation.

In the past, I have stayed in another Hilton hotel, Millennium Hilton Bangkok. I tried Conrad Bangkok this time because it is closer to the downtown.

Pros:
1. Check-in at the Executive Floor is efficient and the staff is very friendly.
2. The evening cocktail is fantastic - I think it is the best executive floor lounge I have visited in the recent years. Great choices of food with different styles are provided everyday + staff provides a high-quality, efficient and friendly service.
3. The breakfast at Cafe@2 is also excellent. Great food and there is no complaint at all.
4. Lunch at the Japanese restaurant "Drinking Tea Eating Rice" is also excellent. The set-lunch menu is excellent and more importantly, with reasonable price.
5. The spa service is also of excellent quality. Good service + good background music + good environment that would make you totally relax and enjoy the spa service.
6. The fitness center has a lot of cardiovascular equipment and weights. Enjoy a great workout throughout my stay.
7. The hotel is very close to the downtown area. One would either take a shuttle or walk to the nearest Skytrain station within 5 - 10 minutes.

Cons:
1. The view of the hotel is not as good as the Millennium Hilton Bangkok because it is not located close to the river. I think all rooms are with city-view only.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Dear Edward AA,

Thank you for choosing the Conrad, and also for sharing your detailed experience of our hotel on Trip Advisor. Our entire team hopes to see you again very soon!

Kind regards - Vincent

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Second time at Conrad Bangkok. First time in april 2010. First time brilliant during our extended stay during the volcano eruption in Iceland. Excellent suite on 28 floor with terrace. Breakfast excellent. Service good but declining. First time - no comlaints - none, enjoyed every minute. This time - less attentative staff. Quality of ex lounge going down, e.g. children, slippers, shorts etc. Staff not taking off shoes before entering room. Pool area and gym excellent. The breakfast downstairs excellent - if you don't find it, it doesn't exist Door staff unattentative - especially compared to first time. Will maybe stay again, but will compare prices with Mariott, ShangriLa, Mandarin etc. Location good though - right side of the river, and walking and taxi distances to most places.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear PerRJOslo,

I do appreciate your comments on your stay with us, and apologize to read your experience with my team. I will certainly share with them for our improvement and hoping to have another chance to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kind regards- Vincent

Reviewed 21 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times this year and I find each stay that little bit less impressive. As a diamond member stayed on the executive floor and found the lounge very busy and a number of times after being settled at a table by the lounge hostess and taking our drinks order we have come back to our table to find new guests had been put there by the same hostess! The breakfast buffet was a liitle average this time. Hotel pickup wd outrageous and recommend taxi at a quarter of the price. Might try the Westin on next visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Perthguy6,

Thank you for providing us your helpful feedback and regret to hear the experiences you have had at our Executive Floor Lounge. I have since addressed with my team and hoping you will reconsider us again when traveling to Bangkok.

Warmest regards and until next time, Vincent

Reviewed 19 August 2012

The Conrad is a great hotel and is located just a few minutes walk from the hustle and bustle of the Nana district. The customer service is outstanding, and the executive lounge is pretty good as well. The doorman remembered our names each time we came back to the hotel as did the bar staff in the lobby bar.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear DerekW,

Thank you for sharing your very kind review of our property, we are pleased that your stay was a memorable one and hoping to see you again soon.

Kind regards – Vincent

Reviewed 18 August 2012

I have always been very impressed with services in Bangkok's hotels. They have set the bar very high. I am delighted to experience great services in Conrad Hotel Bangkok during my stay. My team of 3 guys were there to conduct a workshop for a client.

Being a foreigners, our first task upon arriving at the hotel was to seek advise on some of the outdoor teambuilding activities that we were planning to conduct. It was nice to be able to meet their Banquet Sales Staff to bounce off ideas and I am indeed impressed by her local knowledge of Bangkok and prompt advice. I was surprised when she asked: "If it rains, and you have to conduct it indoor, what will you do and how can I help meet your need?" I have not encountered any hotel staff worried for us in this matter and I must applaud her for that. (It is a gross disservice to her that I did not have her name-card.)

The 2 night stay was pleasant. Our room was very well maintained and neat. It have been a very comfortable stay with very cosy layout. The hotel is within walking distance to the BTS. If you missed the bus service to the BTS, it will be faster if you walk there as bus service only come once every 15 minutes.

The only issue I have is the need to purchase 2 wireless ID. I had one for my room and have to purchase another one to be used in the conference room.

Otherwise, this is a great and convenience place to stay in. Fantastic ballroom to conduct training.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business