“Excellent !!”

Ranked #66 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Seoul, South Korea
“Excellent !!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

It was my first time to visit Conrad hotel, but Bangkok Conrad was really good and I wanna choice again when I visit Bangkok. Especially, I like big size of pool. I think one of the reasons that many family visit Conrad Bangkok is because of pool. Everything was good !!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Stephen G, Manager at Conrad Bangkok Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Eunkyung L,

Warm greetings from Conrad Bangkok and thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor.

It is nice to read that your stay was "excellent!!". We are so pleased to note that you loved our large free form pool.

We look forward to hosting you again sometime soon.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
TOKYO, Japan
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Employees are very kind and I can stay in comfort. the place where place former is also convenient -- BTS -- until -- I have come also out of the shuttle bus of a hotel. It is quiet to it and easy to pass to it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Yoshiteru A
Stephen G, Manager at Conrad Bangkok Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review of Conrad Bangkok on TripAdvisor.

We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for noting the kind service you received from our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

It was our first time visiting Bangkok and were unsure of what to expect when we booked our hotel. My husband and I wanted something central (location) and clean. We were told that the Sukhumvit area is the "downtown" of Bangkok, so we chose Conrad because of its location.
On our way to the hotel; we took the highway, which have tolls, we crossed two (once for 50 Baht and the second for 25 Baht) and always ask the taxi driver to run by meter. They usually don't want to do this. -- this was the same going back. From the airport to hotel it cost us 325 Baht (including the toll fees) make sure to have cash on you, since you are expected to pay the tolls as you cross. When we were leaving, the taxi driver didn't want to run his meter and said he always gives Conrad customers a flat fee of 400 Baht including the toll fees, but since it was our last day and we knew that what he was quoting was reasonable anyways, we just paid the flat rate. But be careful when you are in town trying to get from one place to another! (more on this later)

Upon our arrival we were checked-in and escorted by one of the Front Desk agents to our room, which I thought was a nice welcoming touch. The staff on the grounds and at the desk were always helpful and friendly. However the location itself is off from the main road, good because it is definitely more quieter, but inconvenient since you have to walk (and oddly most drivers have a hard time finding the place; be sure to collect the card with the hotel address written in Thai, this helps the drivers lots), the sidewalks are pretty uneven and narrow, and crossing the streets is a bit of a challenge (pedestrians do not come first). But the main road is also the main line for the Sky Trains which is convenient to get around with (just be sure to have small coin change when purchasing tickets, or you can exchange them at the ticketing agent), the main station closest to Conrad hotel is called Phloen Chit. The other great thing is that there is a free shuttle (though not as often) from the Conrad to the station. But my advice is to take the taxi, since they are quite inexpensive and will save you from the heat, and if you are two people, sometimes the ticket price for the BTS will amount to the taxi fare of the destination. (i.e. 2 tickets to SIAM station from Phloen Chit was 22 Baht per person; the taxi ride from hotel to SIAM paragon was 46 Baht with no traffic on meter) -- although SIAM is not your typical Bangkok, being there made me feel like I was in Singapore, and if you watched Hangover2 and expected to see that, that is not ALL of Bangkok. It is pretty developed around this area.

Dining:
-We also wanted to check out the breakfast at the hotel; they have a decent buffet-style selection, fairly pricey if you are comparing to anything else you are paying while in Bangkok. But we were told that Conrad does have a better selection and quality for their breakfast.
-The hotel is also connected to a mall, so they have a delightful deli shop owned and operated by Conrad inside the mall. We checked it out on the first day of our arrival since we were still quite unfamiliar with the area and wanted a quick bite to eat. They had a lovely selection of sandwiches.
-The other great thing is if you are adventurous enough to take the Sky Train, two stops away are the biggest malls you will ever need all lined up after another, (think ION Orchard in Singapore) -- the SIAM station (which is MO CHIT bound) is 2 stations from CONRAD, and they have plenty of great selections and variety of restaurants, fast food, food courts readily available.
-On the weekend, there is the weekend market (Chatuchak weekend market) which you can take the BTS Skytrain to MO CHIT station and is literally right there. We took the taxi from hotel to the market, and the taxi driver asked us if they can take the highway
-A totally random gem we found is called The deck by the River; it's a pub styled restaurant which we randomly found while wandering lost at night near WatPo, because I had this brilliant idea of wanting to take a photo of the Temple of Dawn at night time. And at night everything is closed around the WatPo area so we were lost. This restaurant has a direct view of the Temple across the river. It's your usual western-style cuisine (pizza, pasta), the food is nothing to boast about, but the view is magnificent. We just headed close to the water, but there are so many things obstructing the view, and we even went through some sketchy area, but hit this gem right as we were feeling all hope was lost. This was on our first night there, luckily we didn't run into any problems. We even managed to hail down a taxi to go by meter. There were other sketchy taxi drivers quoting 400 Baht just outside near the WatPo area, we politely declined and they sarcastically wished us good luck on finding a taxi that would be willing otherwise, and we did, and we got to the hotel safely. So don't let those taxi drivers bully you or threaten you. Some even do go as far as threatening to drop you off while on the road. And always check and confirm if they are willing to go by meter before you get into the cab. While 80 or 100 Baht is nothing if you convert it and compare it to taxi fares back home, it is the way they go about in doing so. I am not asking them to treat me like a Kind or Queen, but I just want the metered price.

The hotel was helpful in providing information about day trips, since we emailed the concierge in advance. However they were not clear on how the booking was done. When they wrote back to say that things were confirmed, they weren't specific on whether it was going to be charged to the room or if they required a card number, etc. -- it resulted in paying the booker from the Tour Agency on the day of the actual excursion. Which is fine, but it would have helped to have known in advance or during check-in when we enquired about our trip confirmation. When we asked if it was going to be charged to our room, they nodded and smiled, so we assumed that it was the case. While the tour itself was superb, I found the man from the Tour to be sketchy when he asked us to withdraw the amount owing in cash by going to the ATM around the corner of the hotel. When we told him we wanted to pay by card, he was so reluctant and asked us a number of times to go to the ATM, even though he had a machine which he took out of his bag, so paying by card is fine, even if there is a 2-5% service charge or whatever. Anyways he is not the guide of the tour anyways, he was just the booker, but still, it does leave a sour taste at 7:30AM at the start of our tour. We felt we were caught off guard. And you cannot charge this trip to your room anyways. I think the Hotel should have made this clear from the start, as that would not have changed our minds anyways.

We stayed a total of 4 days 3 nights on the weekend of July 24-27
The tour which we selected was the Floating Market and Tiger Temple since they were out of the way and away from the City. This tour itself takes up a whole day. It starts at 7:30AM and we get dropped off at about 6PM to the hotel. It is a private tour, with one guide and one driver, and our guide named Victor, was very friendly and knowledgable.
1. We started by driving out of the City, an hour out and we stopped by a Coconut sugar plantation; 2. another 30 minute drive to the Floating Market where we got to ride a long tailed speed boat around the neighbourhoods, and then got to ride on the row boat inside the floating market itself. While I read so many mixed reviews about this place, YES there are a lot of tourists, and YES it is commercialized, but the place itself and the people make up a 60 year worth of history, so while it is crowded and bustling, you can still feel the tradition of the way people live very much alive. I don't recommend buying anything unless you are ready to negotiate your way. But the site itself is really worth watching. This gives you a more traditional feel to Bangkok, despite the number of tourists everywhere.
3. another 30 minute drive to the JEATH War Museum; where you learn some history of the Bridge over the River Kwai; and the Kanchanaburi Cemetery of where all the Soldiers were buried.
4. Lunch by the Bridge of the River Kwai, called the Floating Restaurant. The food is good, and they pre-order I guess what would be the most popular dish; fried rice, chicken cashew, mixed vegetables dishes and fruit platter.
5. After lunch you get to go walk over the bridge (if desired)
6. Finally another 30 minute drive to the tiger temple; and from there you walk another 5-7 minutes to where the actual Tigers are.
There are two lines when you get there;
- one is free (which is from the price included in your package already) so one of the tiger guide will take you by the hand and guide you to take photos, individually. This takes about a good 5 minutes; they will take you behind some of the tigers to take photos.
- the other is a paid line (for 1000 Baht, which is like ~45 dollars) where you get group shots; (so if you came as a couple/family; this is the better option) and then where one person gets to have the tiger's head on your lap for a photo. The first one only allows you to be behind it, and individually. And once you are done the group shot, you will get individual shots as well. And if you are still unsatisfied, you can ask to go back in the free line for more shots.
*Overall this trip was well worth the 2 and half hour drive. I say pay the extra money for the private tour and avoid the hassle of dealing with taxi drivers, other big tour groups, etc., Despite all the negative remarks and while i empathize with those that are concerned for the Tigers well-being, they are raised by monks and professional animal care experts. So whether they are drugged, that is for your own protection, as once you are in that enclosed space, there is no bars to protect you from them. If you go for the experience, learn to enjoy and appreciate it for what its for; I too felt absolutely terrible for the Tigers but at the same time, if it wasn't for the monks and the staff no one could have that experience. Just being near these beautiful creatures up close in-person was one of the most mesmerizing experience for me.
*If you do plan on visiting; ladies will be asked to cover if you are wearing shorts.

We were also considering doing the Temple tours; but after some research online, we learned that entrance fees are quite inexpensive and the taxi ride to where the temples are not too far. So we decided to dedicate a day for this on our own. So it did not make sense for us to be paying for a private tour.
Although the prices we searched for at the time seem to be out-dated; when we visited on Saturday July 26th, the Grand Palace was 500 Baht per person; and the Wat Po was 100 Baht per person.
The cost (on meter) by taxi from hotel to the Grand Palace cost 89 Baht. If you are wearing shorts or inappropriately for the Grand Palace (as they are the stricter out of all the temples with dress code), do not worry, if you go inside there is a place where you can "borrow" cover-ups for free (but you MUST place a 200 Baht deposit, which is returned to you). They even make announcements outside the Grand Palace to not listen to anyone outside that tell you otherwise, as they will try to sell you scarves/pants to cover up. The hours are pretty standard; meaning open and close early during daytime. So if you are there during the day and some tuktuk driver tells you that it is closed, it is probably not. In the late afternoon, evenings everything is closed around that area except restaurants.
** Cooling Tip: While you are at the Grand Palace, because the weather can get HOT; buy yourself a frozen towel for (15 Baht for small/30 Baht for big) it helps ALOT! you can buy them where they sell postcards inside the Grand Palace area. They will last you a good while!
After the Grand Palace tour; we took a tuktuk to WatPo for 60 Baht, I know, it seems expensive/inexpensive depending on how you look at it; but it's hard to find taxis who are willing to run on meter to drop you off there, people say it's like a 5-10 minute walk; but it's like walking in a Capital monumental areas; (like Washington D.C., Tiananmen Square, Ottawa), where there are big monuments, spaced far apart from one another, plus the hot weather. sometimes the extra 20 Baht you are trying to save is worth it. While I read some tuktuk drivers will quote you a price and drop you off at some store (as they work with the store and will get paid for dropping off customers, this did not happen to us) but just make it clear to the driver on your destination and no stops on the way, and as much as i hate to admit it, we were "driver profiling" (LOL) meaning; we tried to select more "older" looking drivers; as they are more laid back and reserved. It's the younger and middle-aged ones who try to be smart with you.

When we got to the WatPo; I have to say I was disappointed with the leaning Buddha, though I admit I wasn't sure what to expect, but the temples within the area is what makes it beautiful. It is definitely less crowded around this area, than the Grand Palace, but I found the temples at WatPo to be even more interesting. They were less strict with dress code, my husband had shorts on but was not told to cover his legs, so we were ok. I was already somewhat dressed for it, long dress and denim jacket, so I was okay for both temples.
**The tricky part of heading back is finding a taxi willing to run by meter. Good luck! They all know you are tourists trying to get back somewhere, so they will quote you ridiculously, we managed to negotiate 150 Baht for our ride back to the hotel from Wat Po, which isn't all too bad, considering the traffic, so I am sure it would have amounted to something similar if not maybe more?

The pool at Conrad which is on the 7th floor is a lovely space, they have a bar if you want to just take it easy after a hectic day of touring.

We also checked out the weekend market (Chatuchak weekend market) which you can take the BTS Skytrain to MO CHIT station. However I wanted to take the taxi, on meter, it is a good 20 minute taxi ride, which the driver asked in advance to take the highway (with the toll), which came to 130 Baht in total; 50 Baht toll + 80 Baht metered ride); I think most people avoid the highway because of the tolls, but I personally did not care for that. The food stations there are so good! I LOVED the coconut ice cream with the toppings to choose from!
On our way back we took the sky train to have dinner near SIAM station and getting around was much easier.

**I usually send postcards from the places i visit; while most hotels will charge nothing for postage; Conrad charged me 60 Baht for 4 postcards to be sent out. Just an FYI. I bought the postcards while I was visiting the Grand Palace (inside; there was a place selling 4 postcards for 10 Bahts! It's probably not cheap in local standards, but it's cheap compared to anywhere else I have been!)

Massages are cheap! I have not had the opportunity to visit one locally; and also I wasn't sure where to go outside the hotel, only because I didn't want to end up somewhere sketchy or where I shouldn't be. But I did see at the weekend market messages offered for 100 Baht.... but I did go to the one inside the airport; they charged me 800 Baht for feet & shoulder for one hour! And the massage was great!

Overall Bangkok is a beautiful City, it's got a bit of everything, the luxury, the slums, the history, the culture, the bustle of the city, the calm of temples and monks, the local Thai people are just so laid back and seem very approachable and welcoming. (except the taxi drivers, but don't let a couple of bad experiences ruin the rest of the folks for you). And Conrad Hotel has been a pleasant stay with wonderful staff, which made our overall vacation an icing on the cake. Definitely made the entire trip that much more pleasant and memorable!
So Thank You and we will definitely be back to explore more of Bangkok!

** In terms of tipping; I think this is a sensitive and rather bias topic; while people generally say it is not needed; considering that everything is relatively lower in cost than most places, and wages are so low, and yeah, it's expected and it's their job (yaddayadda), there is nothing wrong with showing gratitude and recognizing good service when and where needed. And while people think 50 Baht is sufficient, maybe in your local conversion standards or if you're a backpacker. I would say at least 100 Baht is decent. You will see that they will be appreciative of your kind gesture. When we took the private tour, we tipped both the guide and driver 1000 Baht in total (so 500 each). But like I said, it's a biased topic, some of you may think it's too much, some of you may think why bother, this was not meant for you. anyways, for those that do care to know, just an FYI.

Room Tip: We were in room 1806, it was facing some other high rise buildings, the view is nothing to boast abo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank msyoleecom
Stephen G, Manager at Conrad Bangkok Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear msyolee,

Greetings from Conrad Bangkok! We are pleased to receive your feedback and thank you for sharing your experience with the travelling public.

Your detailed review is extremely helpful to other travellers and on behalf of all readers of your post, thank you for taking the time to assist others with their travel plans for Bangkok. We are also happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel facilities, including the pool and City Terrace bar on the 7th floor.

We hope to welcome you back sometime soon.

Director of Operations.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Excellent customer service provided by Ms.Oraphin Thainkok <K.Kat> Liu Outlet Manager.
She make my friends and i very impress.

Conrad is a very good hotel and the staff at all level were very helpful.
We will defintely come back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Narawan,

We are grateful for your review here on TripAdvisor and thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback.

It is our pleasure to share your praise for Liu Restaurant with Khun Kat and her team. They are all proud to receive such lovely comments and we thank you for being a loyal supporter of our restaurant and our hotel.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Liu Restaurant and Conrad Bangkok in the near future.

WIth many thanks and kind regards,
Director of Operations.
London
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The Conrad Bangkok provided an absolutely charming and welcoming experience from the time we arrived until checking out. We were upgraded to a Deluxe Corner Room (slightly larger than a Deluxe Room) and given a heartfelt, personalised welcome tour of the room by Pat, the Front Desk Agent.

The room provided a wonderfully warm and confortable feeling with a choice of pillows, extremely well stocked bathroom, outstanding rain shower with clearly labelled instructions on how to operate it or switch to the more traditional shower, and an incredibly large, and cosy bed to sleep in. For those who want to work when they are travelling, the desk was huge and perfectly positioned at the entrance to the room in front of the the bed, TV and the window without feeling like the desk had been awkwardly shoved into a corner and forgotten about.

Only a couple of things I could think about to grumble about the room:
1) There was no iPod dock in the room - when we asked housekeeping to provide a dock, they told us that a CD player had been placed in the room for guests to listen to their music. Really?! This is 2014, not 1999 - who uses CDs any more?

2) Complementary internet access is only available in the lobby of the hotel and only HIlton Honors Gold members benefit from free in-room internet access. I know that some hotels make a lot of money from guests having to pay a small fortune for internet access but for the Conrad, this seemed to be out of step with the standard of 'business luxury' facilities it provided in the room.

We wanted to thank Ya, the Concierge for providing us with oustanding knowledge of the city and always being friendly, attentive and well-informed when booking cinema tickets and checking us in for our flights.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Stephen G, Manager at Conrad Bangkok Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Conrad Bangkok and thank you for choosing our hotel as your preferred hotel partner.

It is pleasing to read of your enjoyable stay and we are happy to know that you had a great experience from check-in until departure. We will happily acknowledge our Team Member Khun Pat who clearly made a positive impression. At the same time we understand your two points you raised and whilst we do not have iPod docks in all rooms at present, we will revisit this when the hotel next conducts an upgrade. We also ask for your understanding about the WIFI charges, as this is subject to local market conditions. Perhaps we could interest you in an executive floor upgrade in the future whereby you can enjoy this service complimentary.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Conrad Bangkok in the future.

Los Altos, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Conrad Bangkok is tucked in a peaceful block just a short distance away from the major tourist corridor (Phloen Chit Rd). Unlike other 5-star hotels in the area, weary travelers can find some quietness from the bustling Bangkok city.
It's about 500 yards or 10-15 min of walk to the Phloen Chit BTS Station. There's a footbridge that takes you across the Phloen Chit Rd to the two department stores on the north side of road (hint: air condition and tons of food/drink options). If walking under the tropical sun for 10 min is too brutal for you, the ground level of Conrad is also connected to the All Seasons Place next door, where the lower 3 floors are full of restaurants, a Starbucks and even a small supermarket.
The political turmoil in Thailand has really slowed down tourism. I found a lot fewer tourist groups around. I think Bangkok is still a very safe city even under the (hopefully temporary) military rule. The good news is that it's not as crowded. On the other hand the Conrad has also consolidated the restaurants so expect some restaurants to be closed.
I do want to comment on services at Conrad. While most staff was extremely helpful and friendly, there were signs of lax management: Room wasn't made for a few hours after calling housekeeping. Tiny flies (fruit flies?) buzzing around in my room - I squashed two of them but several others kept escaping me. Guests in slippers sat in the Exec Lounge despite the dress code. In the gym staff sat on the floor and chatted while used headphones remained on the cardio equipment for hours.
Overall, Conrad is still a very nice hotel. I love the luxurious room and convenient location. I'd choose it again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DT94024
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review here on TripAdvisor. We are grateful for your valuable feedback.

We are pleased to read that you found our hotel peaceful, amongst a busy and bustling metropolis that is Bangkok city. At the same time we acknowledge your comments about some hiccups in the service you experienced and I can assure you we will address this lapse accordingly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Please feel free to drop me an email should you be visiting Bangkok as it would be my pleasure to oversee a future stay.

Stephen Gould.
e: Stephen.J.Gould@Conradhotels.com
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Bangkok. A city of hospitality, smiles and adventure. My favorite city. I check in at CONRAD. And immediately feel at home. Unrivaled friendliness from the lobby to the executive lounge. A touch of warmth and caring which are unique...even in bangkok.

There are five star hotels in bangkok. And there is the CONRAD. With a team who runs it so smoothly that you will be tempted to cancel your check out...only to enjoy some more unforgettable days.

CONRAD unifies the charm and hospitality of thailand in a way which is truely unique. Every day you are surprised with some new details adapted to your very specific whishes and way of life.

The pool area, the gym, the executive rooms, the food, and overall the smile and caring of the conrad employees made it for me an unforgettable experience.

I will be back august 2014.

ps my special thanks goes to khun maxi, sales director.

Room Tip: all rooms are nice. executive level pls. you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank elmarTHEtraveller
Dear elmarTHEtraveller,

Warm greetings from the land of smiles! Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, we are so pleased to receive this feedback.

It was our pleasure to host your stay and thank you for giving us the opportunity to make a positive impression on you. We only hope that it is not too long before we have that opportunity again.

Many thanks and kind regards,