“Conrad Residences are Amazing!”

Conrad Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #85 of 896 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Here is the deal. The Conrad and Residences share the same building. The elevators are different banks, but otherwise, it makes no sense to pay more for a smaller room at the Conrad when you can have a one or possibly two bedroom suite at the Conrad Residences. The suites are spacious with plasma televisions and in our two bedroom suite, we had two full and huge lovely bathrooms. I stayed last at the Peninsula, but on this trip I was thrilled to get the extra space here as I was with my brother.

IF you can get the breakfast included, pay in advance (as long as it is less than USD$22/day per person). That is what they charge but it is an amazing breakfast. Great fresh fruit drinks (mango, strawberry smoothies), incredible fruit and of course the most amazing waffles and french toast. I could not believe they actually charge $22 per person for the breakfast but if you can get it included in your rate, go for it. I really enjoyed this property and would stay here over the Peninsula (based on the value) ANY DAY!

The accommodations are very luxe. The ONLY thing I did not care for was the location as it was a little far away from everything and in the embassy row area of the city. Other than that, HIGHLY recommended. I have stayed at 3 hotels in BKK and this was definitely the best, followed by the Peninsula.

• Stayed: August 2009
3  Thank traveler4k
Write a ReviewReviews (3,378)

Reviewed 21 November 2009

Booked executive club room. I dont know what pretensions this hotel has but i was denied admittance to the executive club lounge because i was wearing long shorts. Was told that policy was for trousers only.
I dont know what pretensions this hotel has but i would strongly advise them to grab hold of some reality.
Bangkok is a tropical country and the outside temprature was over 30 degrees celcius .
It would be worthwile if this average hotel advised of its policy when the booking was made, i would have then booked a more suitable hotel

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
9  Thank tcurtise
Conrad_Bkk, Marketing Manager at Conrad Bangkok Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2009

Dear tcurtise,

Thank you for your comments about your stay at Conrad Bangkok. We apologize if there was any misunderstanding in the dress code for the Executive Lounge. Whilst we have tried to cater to all expectations, standards presently in place reflect expectations of the majority of our guests. Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to extending you a warm welcome back to us soon.

Reviewed 6 November 2009

We stayed at the residences in a lovely 2 bedroom apartment, much bigger than the hotel rooms and cheaper too. Well worth staying in if your a family. We found the hotel staff to be exceptional! they could not do enough to help us even payed a taxi driver while my husband went to get change. Food was okay but not fantastic but if you walk out of the hotel and into the shopping centre attached there are amazing restaraunts and they are so cheap. Its a ten minute walk to the skytrain but this was not a problem we did it at night without any issues and our son loved it. There is a free bus to take you to the BTS but my advice is walk it the sights are amazing. You are 2 stops away from the main shopping areas and taxis are quite cheap if you prefer. Staying at the conrad residences was a pleasure. Thank you to all the staff for your kindness and especially Chaturong Siewsutha who's advice got us around Bangkok in a day tiring yes but well worth it!. Loved the hotel and will go back.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Fiji20
Reviewed 4 November 2009

perfect for a business trip, as well nice outdoor pool and very very friendly staff

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Searching for hotels in Bangkok, the Conrad was recommendied by several people on Trip Advisor as well as through word of mouth by relatives living in Cambodia. The room was clean and we thought it was a nice treat to have fresh fruit daily. We liked the facility, including the gym which is very nice. There is a market around the corner which makes it easy to buy anything else you might want. We used the shuttle several times to the train station, but it is also an easy walk. We also walked to the night bazaar (maybe a 20 minute walk) and took advantage of the beer garden and multiple food stalls, all safe to eat. The shopping there was also great fun if you like to bargain!

One thing to be wary of is anyone who asks you where you are going and tells you that the site is closed due to a religious holiday or something else. That did happen to us at the train station where someone told us that he was a police officer. (He even told us where he worked). He said the Imperial Palace was closed since it was a holiday. We ignored him since the concierge at the hotel had just given us directions and other information. Of course, the Palace was open.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hawk46
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Stayed at the Conrad for 3 nights. On check-in I was given a complimentary upgrade to a corner king room - bathroom was excellent (good water pressure, deep bath, practical toiletries albeit not luxury brand). The bed was excellent - great comfort, pillows and linens. Complimentary fruit each day. Hotel pool area is pleasant (although water temperature was surprisingly cool), small steamroom and sauna also available in the mens change room of the reasonably equipped gym.

Hotel breakfast on level 2 gives a good selection but wasn't "amazing" by 5 star standards for Asian hotels. Ordered room service one evening - excellent choices and the Thai food was very good for in room dining. Of course, please try to eat out in the excellent local Thai restaurants too!

My only problem was the hotel internet connection was unreliable - dropping out at critical times while accessing my work over VPN. They need to upgrade their bandwidth.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank MangoRacin
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I am wondering if this is the same hotel the below reviewers stayed at ...

On July 30, 2009, I booked my stay at the Conrad Bangkok on August 17-20, under Hilton Family Holiday Sale Asia Pacific (2 for 1) Rate for Deluxe Corner Executive room. The quoted rate was 4950++ Baht (around US$175 ai) per night. Prior to booking, I clicked on the room description and a small window appeared on my computer with the following: "The Conrad Bangkok’s Deluxe Corner king-size guestrooms are located at the corners of the hotel and offer 53 square meters (570 square feet) of contemporary luxury. Each luxury hotel room boasts walk-in closets, a Notebook-sized in-room safe, 30 MB in-room Broadband and Wireless Internet access (chargeable) ..."

This was a fully prepaid rate with no refund allowed. I reserved the corner room because we needed an extra sized room as we have a 13-months baby who likes to run around and explore. With a 570 sqft room, we felt that we were set nicely. I received an email confirmation for the above reservation as follows:

Rooms: 1
Clients: 2 Adults, 1 Child
Room Type: 1 KING EXEC FLR CORNER RM

On August 3, I received another email from the Conrad with a PDF attachment titled EXCLUSIVE EXECUTIVE FLOOR BENEFITS this document states in part:” Children under the age of 12 are not permitted in the Executive Lounge.” This was news to us, as it was not mentioned in the above description of the room or in the initial booking confirmation email. I called Hilton & HH and they told me to contact the hotel directly. The hotel told me that we would work something out with us upon check-in.

We checked in on August 17 and were shown room number 2410. Without including the useless foyer, walk-in closet, and the cluttered bathroom the room was very tiny - around 23 square meters (apparently a single room). I know this because I measured it … it is 3.75 m x 6 m. With the baby-crib next to the bed, there was hardly any space to move about in this room. I protested and told the executive lounge staff that I was promised a 53 sqm room. They offered me a one-bedroom suite upgrade for an additional 1900 ++ Baht (about US$67) I reject the offer as not keeping up with their promise. They told me to prove that they offered me a 53 sqm room (I guess the burden of proof was on me!!!) I used the computer in the executive lounge and printed a page from their website describing exactly what I was telling them. They asked me to have a beverage and relax in the lounge and they would get back to me. An hour later, the female executive lounge manager took me to show me “a better room”. The new room, also on the 24th floor was a bit bigger than #2410 but for sure it was not 53 sqm in size. I got tired of haggling with this bunch and accepted the room. I told this manager that I would write and complain. She told me after spending some time at this place that I would change my mind.

Room:
As indicated above the room was very tiny and cluttered. The design is faulty with too much space wasted on entry foyer and walk-in closet. Tacky looking "modern Thai" polished wooden furniture in the room. Large flat screen TV, DVD-CD player, and iPod docking device.

The bathroom was also small and cluttered. There was a separate tub and shower. The wall facing the toilet was filthy with spots of God knows what!!! This wall was never cleaned during our stay.

Service:
Don’t’ understand what the rave is all about here about the Conrad. Other than the silly long-tailed coats worn by the staff, service was not special and actually very impersonal. I don't mean to sound harsh here but the Conrad is too pretentious … with too much fluff and nothing to show for.

My wife and I had to take turns baby sitting as the other was enjoying the lounge (alone! … so much for the Family Holiday Sale) On the second day, my wife got tired of this rotation and decided that she no longer was going to the lounge. I asked the executive lounge staff if I could bring a guest over instead of my wife (one for one as the reservation was for double + child). They said fine no problem. The friend came by and he had a soda a plate of finger food. At checkout I was presented with an almost 1000 baht (about US$34) bill for the guest I had!!! Again, I protested and the bill was lowered to around 600 Baht (about US$20). The executive lounge staff appeared to be trying to maximize revenues for the hotel from improperly offering an upgrade earlier and then this check out incident.

The two pieces of pressing per stay were promised but never picked-up even after I requested the service.

No turn down service was provided as stated in the benefits.

Executive Lounge:
The Conrad's lounge is very tiny with only 3 tables side-to-side at its widest point with no privacy whatsoever.

Food:
The executive lounge food offerings were superior to that at the LM Plaza Athenee.
Because of our baby was not allowed in the executive lounge, we were given breakfast at the second floor coffee shop. They served buffet breakfast style common at many Bangkok hotels. Just ordinary service. We did not use any other F&B outlet in this hotel.

Location:
Hotel is attached to a nice indoor shopping center (mall) and adjacent to the US Embassy. There is a supermarket inside this mall in addition to dozens of restaurants, boutiques and other specialty stores. The hotel offers (every 15 minutes or so) a free shuttle service to Phloen Chit Skytrain station.

Swimming Pool:
The best I have seen in Bangkok. Huge and directly exposed to sun light.

All in all, IMHO, this is not a five-star property and not a family friendly hotel period.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
15  Thank Zilfo
Conrad_Bkk, Marketing Manager at Conrad Bangkok Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2009

Dear Zilfo,

Regarding your comment that the Conrad is not a family-friendly atmosphere. The reason why children under 12 are not permitted in the Executive Lounge is for the main reason that this is a Business Lounge. A more abundant and better breakfast venue option for you would have been the Cafe @ 2. We must apologize if this was not communicated clearly. We would also like to reassure you that all our room sizes are as stated in our brochures and the Executive Floor Corner Room is indeed 53 square meters.

The Conrad Bangkok prides itself on its professionalism in hospitality. We appreciate the comments given and will use them for improvement of services throughout the property. The uniqueness of Conrad Bangkok is that we have the advantage of Thai hospitality and we strive to “go the extra mile” to make all of Conrad Bangkok’s guest visits the most memorable experience during their stay in Bangkok.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Conrad Bangkok soon.