“Pretty Grand for the PRICE”
Review of Grand President

Grand President
Ranked #706 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Pretty Grand for the PRICE”
Reviewed 8 February 2009

SERVICE:

The reception staff and concierge staff were friendly and professional. Everytime I've stayed here, I never received any bad attitudes or rudeness. If you are bringing back a guest to your room, the security requires that your guest handover his/her ID until leaving and also to sign in. They are strict about this policy to avoid any issues. Also, don't ruin or stain the bedsheets because they will charge you for it.

ROOMS:

The cheaper rooms are in Tower 3 which is across the street (Soi 11) from the reception and tower 1 & 2. Don't worry about your luggage because the bellboy will lug it over. However, do tip him because it's an outside trip. The rooms in tower 3, Opal and Topaz rooms, are pretty mediocre and nothing to rave about, although they are a reasonable size for the price. The furniture is pretty old and beat up. The bed is large but not necessarily comfortable with rather flat blankets and a not-so-soft mattress. The bathroom is pretty basic and clean with reasonable size tub and toiletries (no need to go to the convenience store). Don't expect any fancy towels, flowers and boutique stuff to make you feel like your in Wonderland. The hotel doesn't have wireless internet but every room has a LAN line connection. If you forgot to bring an ethernet cable, you'll have to go out and buy one (not available on Soi 11). The hotel doesn't have any to let you borrow. The Air Con works well and it gets cold pretty fast. One major pain are the mosquitos. I dunno how they get in but they are definitely there and it's a feeding frenzy. You will guaranteed wake up in the morning or middle of the night itchy and bumpy. The TV is not new but you do get basic cable channels

RESTAURANTS:

The luxurious restaurant is right next to the reception desk in Tower 1. It's very overpriced and not worth it. They have a good breakfast buffet if you're willing to fork out >$25 person. Next to Tower 3 is a German restaurant which has breakfast deals that come with your room, if pre-arranged. The breakfast choices are American, English or German style. Taste pretty good. The staff is generally friendly aside from the lady staff staring at you while you grub. They have a bunch of German language newspapers on racks nearby, but good luck trying to find a decent one in English. The German restaurant is prettty jumping at night because it has an ethnic German bar attached, a German-ish pig roast every night and full of intoxicated Germans.

FITNESS:

The fitness center is pretty good with modern equipment. There a lot of treadmills and they all have personal TV's. There are weights and machines so you can exercise the major muscle groups. I wouldn't go as far to stay that the fitness center is "state of the art" but it's gettting there. They have a swimming pool, I have nothing to say about it.

LOCATION: Tower 3 and Tower 1&2 are on opposite sides of the street so it can be confusing when checking in. Just look for the taller tower on the right hand side coming from Sukhumvit. The location is approximately 150 meters down from Sukhumvit Road. Trust me it's a very convenient location because there are a bunch of convenience stores, laundry/cleaners, suit tailors, ATM's and travel agencies on your way to and from the hotel. The only closeby nightclub is Club Spicy which is right up the street.

OVERALL: One of the better hotels in Bangkok for under $70 a night. Rooms could use some improvements but most people visiting Bangkok don't stay in that much

• Liked — Location and Fitness Center
  • Disliked — Mosquitos in the Room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank superrod
NBBangkok, General Manager at Grand President, responded to this review, 14 February 2009
Dear Superrod,

Thank you for your comments on your last stay at the Grand President.
We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and namely the friendly service provided by our team as well as the fitness centre and the overall convenient location.
We have well noted your comments regarding the Breakfast buffet at Cafe 11. I would like to mention that the Buffet is actually priced at 8 USD only (THB. 271net), which makes it still very reasonable.
We are sorry to hear that you have been disturbed by mosquitoes despite the pest control treatment provided in all rooms on monthly basis. We will discuss this issue with the pest control company for immediate improvement.
We would like to inform as well that the Grand President is upgrading all its rooms this year and that Tower 3 rooms interior will be upgraded shortly as well.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand President in the near future again.

Nathalie Burtin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
sydney
Reviewed 18 January 2009

I had an Opal studio -which is in Tower 3, across the road from the main building. If you are non-smoker (or even if you are a smoker) do not accept a “smoking” room. I agreed to take a smoking room because it had a better view and regretted it straight away. The smell of stale smoke is strong and I could even smell it on the pillows. Even though it was my mistake reception staff were more than happy to move me the next day to the sanctuary of a non-smoking room. They even rang me after I had moved to ask if I was happy with the new room etc.

The hotel is very close to the main road (Sukhumvit Road) and the Sky trian is also just a few minutes walk away. The gym in located in tower two but for some reason my key/card did not give me access to the lifts in that building. Reception told me I would have to ask the security staff to grant me access whenever I wanted to use the gym – something I found unusual and a tad annoying.

Security is good. You need to learn to ignore the touts at the front of the hotel (who will offer to arrange taxis, massages, tailors, massages, city tours, massages etc). Most Bangkok hotels have these guys at the entrance but they do not cause any problems. Just smile and wave and they’ll leave you alone.

The room was clean and comfortable and included a large electronic safe (easily takes a 15 inch laptop), TV, CD player, a large fridge, microwave and tea/coffee making facilities. Next to the bed is an electronic console that has the controls for all the room lights, air conditioning temperature and the clock/alarm. You can also activate the Do Not Disturb sign from the same unit (see pic). The air conditioning system is a bit noisy, it does not rattle but it is not exactly a soft hum either. The noise is noticeable but not unbearable and it is possible to fall asleep with it air conditioning unit running.

In-room internet (Ethernet connection) is available in each room at an extra cost unless your tariff includes a complimentary connection. The hotel’s website has a useful FAQ section that answers quite a few questions. I found the chair provided was too low in comparison to the desk height to be able sit comfortably and type.

The buffet breakfast is good value especially if you get a room rate that includes breakfast. The food selection includes:
Fruit juice
Corn Flakes/Muesli/Frosties,
Fresh sliced fruit
Yoghurt with sliced banana
Rice Porridge (thai breakfast)
Tea/Coffee
Eggs cooked to order
Croissants and other pastry
White/brown toasted bread with jam and butter
Pancakes with honey/maple syrup
Sausages/bacon/grilled tomatoes/
Beef and potatoes
Roti and a spicy Indian cooked dish

The hotel is about 35 to 45 minutes from the international airport. After an 11-hour flight from London I was ready to spoil myself and decided not to take a taxi. Instead I went to the taxi booth and requested a chauffer driven car. It cost me 1100 bhat ( taxi would have cost less than half that amount) .

I enjoyed my stay at the Grand President and would be happy stay there again.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — less than quiet air conditioning
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank byjing0h
NBBangkok, General Manager at Grand President, responded to this review, 2 February 2009
Dear ByjingOh,

Thank you so much for your detailed information on the Grand President.
We are pleased to hear that you have very much enjoyed your stay with us and that you will gladly stay with us again.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the smoking room provided upon arrival. All smoking rooms are to be treated upon departure to avoid any smell for new arrivals and it seems your room has been unfortunately overlooked. We are nevertheless glad that our team quickly managed to provide you with another room.
We have well noted the inconvenience caused by the air-conditioning system and the lower writing desk chair and would like to apologize for these matters as well.

lefty330
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I went to Bangkok for 4 months and wanted to stay in a reasonably priced hotel. Of course everyone wants the most for their money. And I got that at the GP. The staff were super friendly. If you stay here...as for Mr. A. He's one of the guys at the staff desk who helps with bags, etc. Tell him Khun Marc sent you. Rooms were decent. Good enough. Their newly renovated rooms are amazing, but be aware there are different levels of quality. Also - they have different towers. The one across the street isn't as nice but is more quiet and away from the front desk...

• Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank lefty330
Dear Lefty330,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on your last stay with us.
We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at the Grand President and namely the friendly service provided by our bellman.
The Grand President is indeed currently upgrading its Superior rooms and Junior Suites located in Tower 1 and we are very pleased to hear that you like the new designs.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand President shortly again.

Bombay
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Stayed at the Grand President one more time. I have been staying there for the past four years and I find that over the years they have shown definite signs of improvement.

They are constantly refurbishing the rooms and the management seems to have in place the right staff training procedures as not only are the staff members very service oriented, but the efficiency has been steadily improving.

I highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a pleasant stay at a very convenient location.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank kris077
NBBangkok, General Manager at Grand President, responded to this review, 29 January 2009
Dear Kris077,

Thank you very much for your kind comments on your last stay with us.
We are well noted that you have been staying with us for the last 4 years and we would like to thank you for your loyalty.
We are glad to hear that you namely enjoy the friendly and efficient service of our team and that you recommend the Grand President to fellow travellers.
Thank you again for your encouraging comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back again shortly.

Dublin
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Myself and my wife stayed here for 3 nights in December, then 1 night in January. December stay was quite pleasent, in the cheaper rooms of Tower 3. We had very little dealings with the staff at this point. We then booked a non smoking room in an executive suite for our January return. What a horrid time!! Our room was on the 4th floor just over a nightclub which pounded til the early hours. It stunk of smoke, and theere was a horrid smell of sewage around the place. I told the receptionist I had booked a non-smoking room, and she said 'well we're full'. I said, well my booking went through for a non smoking room, but her attitude was basically 'piss off'. In fairness, at this point we had already witnessed their customers shouting abut the awful smell of raw sewage around the Hotel. Those who looked important were found rooms miraculously. Me? I obviously wasn't their preferred clientelle. in saying all that, its a good place on a budget. But try get a room on as high a floor as possible, and try to have as little to do with the staff on reception. In future, I'll spend a little extra, and use the Bel Aire Princess.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Horrible smell, Bad attitude of receptionist.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frequent_traveller38
Dear Frequent_Traveller38,

Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to my attention.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused during your second stay at our property.
There was indeed a technical problem with the drainage system in the street which unfortunately inconvenienced our guests early this month. The municipality has fortunately fixed this issue already.
Our Guest Relations team should nevertheless have explained the situation and apologized.
Our team of receptionists usually receives very good comments and I am very sorry to hear that the service provided during your stay was not up to our usual standards.
All concerned have been briefed to ensure such disappointment will not occur again.
I would appreciate it very much if you would kindly contact me at gm@grandpresident.com in order to provide me all the details for my further investigation and action. I would be pleased to offer you 2 nights complimentary stay to apologize once again for this very unfortunate experience.
I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Nathalie Burtin

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Coventry
Reviewed 22 December 2008

The rooms are are a good size and the hotel is in a good location and has good deals on its website. The rooms are a good size, the breakfast buffet is great and varied and the staff more than friendly. There is even a security man who calls the lift for you! There is a kitchen in the rooms but we only used it for the kettle, but plenty of eateries and bars around.

We walked to the skytrain or got local busses and travelled around, much cheaper than taxis.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stacvic
NBBangkok, General Manager at Grand President, responded to this review, 5 January 2009
Dear Stacvic,

Thank you for your kind feedback on your last stay at the Grand President.
We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the good size of the rooms, the good location, the service and the great deals available on the hotel website.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand President shortly again.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 2 December 2008

First time arrived in Bangkok, We already book a hotel somewhere in Soi 7 from the internet. When we arrived it was not really great as shown in the internet :-( . The hotel also not that clean. The area have pubs with prostitues awaiting at the side walk and that place is noisy too. We decided not to check in there but to leave our luggage at the hotel while looking for another hotel. We decided to check in at Grand president and the first time we entered the lobby, the bellman open the door to welcome us and greet us and we feel so welcome. When i went to the check in counter there is one lady by the name of CHINDA greet us with a smile. With a good price, nice hotel, we decided to check in here. Check in very fast and efficient. After c/in, one of the bellman ask if there is any luggage, we say yes but still at the hotel that we cancel our stay at soi 7. He offered to assist us to get the luggage at soi 7 and show us the shortcut way. He carried our luggage all along the way from Soi 7 to our room. What a superb helpfull staff. Still remember his name WICHIEN. The room is huge and nice for two of us. Very clean. Well done to the maid. After a long tiring day, we really felt so happy and we had a good rest that night . We stayed there for two nights from 17th to 19th Nov. We used all the facilities like the gym and swimming pool. Breakfast is good too. After came back from Pattaya and Ko chang, we stayed again at the hotel from 22nd to 24th Nov 2008. Thanks to JASVIN to make the reservation for us. The second time we stayed there we got the room with a living room and very huge. Room No.903 at tower 1. I think it was just renovated. Everything looks new and nice view too. And to the Duty Manager JUNE, thanks for the information given to us and make our trip easier. We have no complaints but compliments to Grand president and to these four kind and helpfull staff Chinda, Wichien, Jasvin and June with their execellent service and make our trip great and awesome. The hotel is really a good location to shops, massage centre, clubs, bars, restaurants, walking distance to Nana BTS station. Definitely we will come back to stay at this hotel again and recommend to our friends and family..Thank you Grand President!!! From Tini Sharman and Juan Machuca

• Liked — good location, clean and execellent service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tinie_az
Dear Tinie_az,

Thank you for taking the time to inform fellow travellers on your stay at the Grand President.
We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you have especially appreciated our friendly and helpful team.
The location of the Grand President near the skytrain is indeed very convenient for people travelling to Bangkok for the first time.
We have well noted your positive comments on our newly renovated rooms in Tower 1 as well as on the pools and fitness centre.
We look forward to your next stay with us.
Warm regards,