“A total disgrace to the hotel industry”
Review of Furama Silom

Furama Silom
Ranked #226 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Malmö, Skåne Län, Sweden
“A total disgrace to the hotel industry”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I booked this hotel for a colleague of mine. So the reservation was paid for by me and under my name. I asked my colleague to send me her review of this property and this is what she wrote to me to post:

I always like to start off with the positives so here it goes:

.........there were no positives for this property.

1: When I arrived in a cab, I requested for a taxi receipt from the cab driver, after some discussion, the doorman, with a smile, told me he will give it to me. Turned out he was kidding when I went to the front desk- he went like ‘hotel is actually not associated with taxis’. Who does this to hotel guests? Apparently it was funny to the staff at Furama hotel to humiliate their guests.

2: Requested for an international charger for three days, every day they asked me to go down with 100 Baht for rental and when I reached the front desk they told me it was out of stock.. FO Manager promised to call me but did not do so at all for the rest of my stay. I was there for 10 days. What other property promises a guest something and doesn’t follow through? Furama Hotel.
3: On the first day when they told me their international charger was all taken up, they suggested I get it from the mini-mart nearby, when I went over, there was no international charger there at all in the shop.
4: The key card was faulty and did not work after I went back to my room from the minimart, the other key was in my room and when I went back down to the Front desk, they requested to see my passport details for verification. I have the current key card with me and I told them “But my passport is in my room”. They told me they needed proof and it never occurred to them to simply walk me to my room to open the door so I could show them my passport. Who doesn't replace a faulty key card to their guests? Furama Hotel

5: Room itself stinks of stale smoke. Disgusting for non smokers. Requested for a change but they told me that it was all fully occupied and that was not possible until the next day. Which is not true I went online and checked and they had available rooms, they just couldn't be bothered. When I asked again the next day, before leaving for work, they told me to go pack my luggage and they will change if there is a room available, no news and I gave up on asking and stayed 10 days in a disgusting room.

6: The Wi-Fi is completely unreliable don’t even bother, goes off every 5 seconds, not even kidding. Used my own hotspot for entire duration of my stay. So if you want free wifi like they promise, dream on.

7: when I left for work, requested a bottle of water from the housekeeping staff down the corridor, (they were on her trolley she was going from room to room), she refused to give it to me and said she will put it in my room. I said I was leaving for work already, but she said the hotel only provides two per room everyday. So I should get from my room after she tops it up. Totally refused to give me.

8: When checking out (27Jun-8am), the first staff (a male) I talked to in the front desk was very rude and did not smile at all during our duration of our conversation, I requested for a receipt for my stay, he went exactly like this ‘you booked through travel agent, so you get the receipt from them, not us. ’ in a completely annoyed tone. Then I asked again, ‘I see, could you then provide me with a written note then?’ then he went in an exasperated manner: ‘No. you want a note? Get from the travel agent. We don’t provide it.’ Another(much nicer) lady came and took over after that to explain, though.

9. Like swimming? There is a pool upstairs with yellow water in it. Enjoy!

Quite tiring dealing with this staff as every single requests were rejected/made so complicated.

You want to destroy your stay in Bangkok? Stay at the Furama. You want a stay with some dignity and respect, STAY AWAY FROM FURAMA! Furama hotels, shame on for the worst trained staff in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Robert B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Raleigh NC
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were on a cruise, so only had one overnight stay in Bangkok, and were lucky enough to get this hotel through Travelzoo. The lobby is not too impressive, so we were a little apprehensive, until we saw our room - it was fantastic. I do not think we have every stayed in a hotel room that was so huge. It was immaculate and the bedding was divine. The staff spoke English and were most helpful. There is a small roof-top pool with great views over the city, which is most impressive at night. We ate at the small cafe on the roof, as we were too tired after our tour to venture anywhere else, and the food was not the greatest - wish we had ventured out as there were plenty of small restaurants close by. Breakfast, however, (which was included in the room rate) was fabulous. I do not think we have ever seen such a wonderful display of such a variety of dishes, all beautifully presented. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Do ask to be ugraded to a deluxe room. I understand the regular rooms are not so great. This is a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The room was very spacious and clean. Location is very good, just 5 minutes walk from the Chong Nonsi BTS-station and 10 minutes from the Si Lom MRT-station (can take a bit longer during the rush hours when the streets get very crowded). The hotel Wi-Fi wasn't good (slow connection, kept cutting off every once in a while), don't get me wrong - it's ok for surfing the web and SoMe use, but if you'd need to for example use Skype I recommend you get a prepaid 3G SIM card from for example 7-11 or any of the numerous mobile phone stores located close to the hotel.

Breakfast was awesome. Hands down the best breakfast during our whole stay in Asia (3 weeks in 7 different cities). They have the usual western stuff (eggs, toasts, croissants, bacon, veggies) and several kinds of Asian specialities.

Service is very good, attentive staff and friendly without being exaggeratedly polite (note that we're from Northern Europe and we don't expect constant attention ;-))

The rooftop swimming pool (20th floor) and gym (5th floor) were good too, I used them on a daily basis and enjoyed them a lot.

I can definitely recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kkirjala
Mandaluyong, Philippines
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The building is a bit dilapidated but it doesn't matter much to me. Staff are vey respectful, they immediately respond to my concerns, the location is not bad and the breakfast is good.

I don't quite agree though with their rating as 4-star hotel but rather 3-star will be more appropriate. Wifi is not good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
wolverhampton
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed one night at the end of tour of Thailand, and must admit I had a great nights sleep, enjoyed a lovely breakfast buffet and thoroughly enjoyed my stay, the staff were very friendly and helpful, and found it good value for money,

The room is a very good size with a extra large double bed, great shower with lots of power and a good size fridge, excellent air con, very comfortable room,

Room Tip: The higher the room the better, just because of the views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank numptydiver
Korumburra, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Back again in BKK for a little while. Stopped again at the Furama what a great place close to everything, staff so friendly, rooms very nice and breakfast buffet is very good.
Will be returning off and on for the next 2 months. Hired a scooter through tour desk awesome to ride BKK streets. Best part is the road laws in BKK ........ There are none!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
New Delhi
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Very nice hotel in center of Silom, 10 min walk to Patpong night market, 5 min drive to Central world shopping, lots of restaurants, shopping surround it. Super store right beside the hotel. Currency exchange right opposite the hotel. Value for money stay. Rooms are very big in size and comfortable. Only draw back is the translucent window separating living area & the bathroom, unless your'e a couple in love.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business