Dream Bangkok
US$89
US$67
  • Restaurant
2,962 results
All reviewsblue lightingsecond buildingrooftop poolsukhumvit roadmain buildingterminal shopping mallasok stationbreakfast buffetboutique hotellocation is greatenjoyed my staymini barsoi cowboyfew minutes walktuk tuklate checkdeluxe room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We consider ourselves as backpackers, to end our time in Thailand , my girlfriend and I decided to book a place for one night where we can have some luxury. For the price we paid, this hotel is definitely a great value. The style of the hotel is contemporary. The bed, linens, pillows were very comfortable. The service was good. They arranged our taxi service and gave us good advice on where to go. The only thing we regret is we wish we could've stayed here a little longer... I definitely recommend this place for young couples.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank dinopcv10
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I recently got back from Bangkok and stayed at the Dream Hotel. I was recommended this hotel by 2 people and saw it in a hotel book so I gave it a go. I was very happy with the Dream hotel. It was in a central location, very clean (which is a commodity in most Thai hotels-I think), good breakfast, and friendly staff. I paid $80 USD per night and booked on Asiarooms.com. If you haven't been to this site it has the most competitive rates hands down. Here's a breakdown of the hotel features:

Airport:
It's a 30-45 min drive from the main airport. I paid 400 BHT.

Location:
It's on sukhimvit Rd which is the main road to a lot of places. It's a 10 min walk to the skytrain which is very easy to use. We took a cab to the MBK mall (15min) which was really cheap but a skytrain may be faster. This mall is worth a visit and you can spend hours in there! Don't go to Robinson mall- it's a small department store and not worth your time at all. If you want to get suits made, Raja's tailor is about 2 blocks away at Sukhimvit 11. My husband got a few suits made and they were great. I also read many reviews about them and they seem to be very propular. The suits are $200-$250/suit (for the good quality...wool). You can bargain if you buy more.

Room:
Very clean. Has a minimalist trendy design with cool lighting. Only hotel I stayed in in Thailand with a flat screen tv and lots of American channels. Bathrooms are clean and come with bathrobe, slippers, toiletries. There's also a safe in the room. The bed though was very hard, but this seemed to be a reoccuring theme in every hotel I stayed in Thailand.

Staff:
They were very friendly and helpful. They all spoke pretty decent english and were able to tell us what there was to do in the area and gave us good tips.

Internet:
There's one computer in the lobby with free internet access. This was a huge help and very convenient. It was always available when I needed to use it.

Breakfast
It's held in their very trendy dining area which is very nice and modern. They have a pretty good selection with an omelette station, sushi, breads, pastries, oatmeal, cereal, pancakes etc. My only complaint was that the breads were a little stale. It definitely did the job though and kept us full for our long days.
As far as other dining goes, their room service was very good, but pricier than other food in Bangkok but it was worth it. We ate at Young Lee down the street because there weren't any restaurants around! I found this in all of Bangkok. Don't eat at Young Lee unless you have to-there's flies everywhere and there level of cleanliness is disgusting.

Tours:
You must do the floating market-it's awesome. It's about 1.5 hours away and takes up I think a little more than half the day but it was very interesting to see. You also have to see the Grand Palace which is what Bangkok is all about-this takes about half a day. We booked these all through the hotel and were very happy with the tours.

Pat Pong:
Complete waste of time. I don't understand why everyone says to go here. The shopping at MBK is WAY better and the area is so disgusting with prostitutes and dirty clubs. There's only one reason to go here and I think we all know what that is. We went out of our way to go here because we kept hearing about this place and there's nothing you're going to see here that you can't see in MBK shopping wise.

3  Thank bonamak20
Reviewed 27 March 2009

This hotel is quite nice and modern, conveniently located in Sukhumvit (in one of the alleys). Despite the modern decoration, some parts look a bit aged, such as the bathroom, for example. They provided us with 4 free bottles of water every day, which is really nice considering the temperatures in Bangkok (around 36C at that time).
They also have a computer in the lobby with free internet access, which is very useful.

The staff were generally helpful, although I got the impression they were more keen to sell tours than give independent tourist advice.

Later in our trip we stayed at the Park Plaza (which is just around the corner) for less money and we thought it was a better hotel.

2  Thank foxycub
Reviewed 21 March 2009

After reading the good reviews, my husband and I were compelled to stay at the Dream. But when we arrived at 5 am the other morning even with advance notice of our early arrival, the reception/check-in attendant was not ready for us. We were shuttled back and forth across the street from Dream 1 and Dream 2 (there are 2 buildings to this hotel) and then realized that although WIFI is offered on their website, it is ONLY available in the Dream 1 building. This was extremely frustrating. We felt the staff tried hard to push us into staying at Dream 2 (telling us that the Dream 2 building was 'newer' and added that we had to wait for housekeeping to clean a room for us because Dream 1 was full) even though we stated that WIFI access was a must.

Then in general, the staff, specifically the men, were a bit too 'hipster' for us with slight attitudes. The morning front door/bell man was not helpful and somewhat combative and ended up telling our taxi driver the wrong directions. This put us about 45 minutes in the opposite direction of our final destination. Very painful and costly.

Lastly, the rooms are very small and somewhat strange. The blue glowing lights are cheesy and so is the blue carpet which was quite dirty. There was mold in the bathroom (sink and shower tiles) which was also cramped. Plus there wasn't much privacy because the bathroom only has a sliding door that does not ever fully shut.

All in all, I am surprised how highly reviewed this hotel is, perhaps the price is a lot lower then others in the same hotel class so maybe that helps, and perhaps there is a
'hipper' population that would appreciate the same characteristics i.e. attitude of staff, blue lighting, etc. that don't appeal to me. When I think of the hotels in Thailand, it is almost synonymous with polite, sweet, ultra-clean, service-oriented service plus incredible, fresh food. The Dream Hotel does not fit this image. The breakfast was nothing special either. If you want a hotel to relax in, this is not your place.

2  Thank FlyingTurks
Reviewed 15 March 2009

My boyfriend and I spent the last night of our trip to Thailand there and chose the Dream as a "treat" as it was more than we could afford during the rest of our holiday without being out of reach.
We booked a luxury room but got an upgrade to a Suite which was really nice. I have nothing to complain about really, incredibly comfortable bed, very spacious room and living room with all the mod cons you would expect in a suite, impeccable service, good breakfast. Yet, it didn't do it for me: too cold, too bland. I think it's perfect if you're visiting Bangkok on business ( and there were a few businessmen indeed) but not on a holiday with your loved one.
Plus it's on Sukhumvit. On the plus side there's the Skytrain and the tube round the corner which is great if you want to go shopping to MBK and the likes but on the downside, if you're planning to go and visit temples in Ko Ratanakosin it can be a nightmare as you'll get stuck in traffic for hours.
It's also bang in the middle of "dark side" of Bangkok with all the go go bars and the dodgy tourists so not very romantic or family friendly.

1  Thank drineLondon