“Good Location”
Review of Tai-Pan Hotel

Tai-Pan Hotel
Ranked #295 of 890 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The location is very strategic. It is only about 7 minutes walk to Asok BTS or subway station (Sukhumvit). There are many shopping complexes along the Sukhumvit Road, about 10 minutes walk from the Hotel. The famous Terminal 21 shopping complex is nearby.

The staff are friendly and helpful. The wifi in the room is also reliable and fantastic. Overall my stay is very pleasant.

On the day of checking out, I requested for a cab to send me and my friend to the Don Muang Airport. The bellboy recommended a private car driver to us. I would recommend NOT to accept the private car offer. The driver wanted to charges us 1,000-00 baht to the airport. We turned down his offer and insisted for a cab. The cab driver charged us 600 baht (inclusive of the toll).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank sheronlee

Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is a good hotel, well located, with friendly staff. Breakfast Buffet is OK and the rooms spacious and well maintained. The building overall is older than some of the modern hotels and so a bit dated but perfectly adequate. WiFi in every room, overall I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There are non smoking rooms which suited me
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank michael j
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I booked 3 discounted rooms here. My friends room smelt and had 2 single beds we had not requested the hotel could not apparently supply another room and had a poor attitude here.
I was in the bath the next day when the chambermaid disturbed me. On returning to the bathroom I slipped and crashed on the wet marble tiles as there was no rubber mat. I broke my hand in 2 places and had to spend 3 hours in Hospital. I have a plaster cast for 4 weeks.
The hotel staff are unhelpful and disengenious. In my opinion the bathroom is extremely dangerous and in need of improvements. The hotel was heavily discounted on Agoda and certainly not worth 4500B a night otherwise. The only good point for me was the location near Sukhumvit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank phuketpaul13
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I recently stayed at the Tai-Pan in Bangkok for one week at a discounted rate, hence the good value. The location is great because it is well located and is quite close(10 minute walk) to the BTS Skytrain and MRT subway. The staff are friendly and helpful. Contrary to some comments I found the buffet breakfasts to be great! The rooms are large and the beds clean and comfortable. It had most of the amenities of a 4 or 5 star hotel but it has been allowed to deteriorate. The carpets were absolutely filthy. The fabric covered chairs were not much better. The hotel just looked 'tired and worn'. I would stay again for the same discounted rate.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a non-smoking room in advance if this is important to you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank shiner58
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Excellent hotel, nicely located close to Skytrain, Subway, Soi Cowboy, yet very private. Service outstanding at all levels. Good restaurant, good staff, good cleaning, good rooms. Hard to find something bad... Only small minus was the service at the pool-area, but service was there, just a little less than the rest of hotel. A recomendable hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Knud_60
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I had a very nice stay at the Tai-Pan hotel for 3 nights. We got twin beds instead of a double bed though so make sure you tell them what you want. The room was big, clean and comfortable. The hotel is in a nice area where you wont be harassed but tour operators and tuk tuk drivers too much. There is a metro and sky train station just down the road which is very convenient and cheap way to get around. Nice shopping centre behind the hotel. Also just a minutes walk from soi cowboy if you want to party.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isabella H
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Needing a hotel in Soi 23 Bangkok (to attend a Christian convention nearby), I looked at the Tai-Pan first. Usually I go with my family and the Tai-Pan is very convenient for us, just 5 minutes walk from the convention site (Srinakarinwirot University). They willingly permit my family of 4 (including 10 year old twins) share a twin room without having to incur the costs of an additional bed.

The rooms are big with nice furnishings and a bathtub - wonderful! The windows in the room are floor to ceiling, although there's not much to see. But they let in natural light, which is nice.

This time I was going alone, so I didn't want to pay the usual 2,400 baht price tag. but I checked it anyway and was delighted to find that by booking direct with the hotel it was just 1,500 baht per night. Perfect - I booked without delay. Breakfast is not included, but for the extra 200 baht or so it's excellent. A choice of western or eastern cuisine.

The hotel is very quiet and quite elegant, despite its age. Many restaurants and bars are within walking distance, massage places too, For Brits, the Queen Victoria pub is a 5 minute walk with Guinness on tap and a range of meals from home.

If I have a complaint with this hotel it's the mirror in the bathroom. It's very large, but at a height for shorter people. At 1.96m I cannot see my face to shave. So I have to bend down, which is inelegant to say the least.

But aside from this, the hotel is perfect for a central position in Bangkok. It sits at a 45 degree angle to soi 23, so it's not immediately obvious on the road. It's very large, but even so, the first time I went there I walked straight passed it! When you go up soi 23, a road joins the soi from the right, the hotel is 20m on the left. It has its own multi-story car park. The massage places are opposite. If guys want their ego boosted, just walk by and you will be told 10 times that you are a handsome guy! They are harmless and leave you alone if you politely smile and walk on.

Room Tip: My 'cheap' room was a twin room. It didn't matter for me, but if you are travelling as a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo