“My Home Away From Vienna”
Review of The Tawana Bangkok

The Tawana Bangkok
Ranked #235 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Tawana is not just a hotel for me but it is the closest I can get to a home whenever I and my family are in Bangkok. I have been coming to this hotel for almost 30 years now eversince I was a teenager... And tho' during the time that I was still flying as FA for one of the major Middle-East airlines, we as crew members were always billeted at another hotel, in fact one that is more luxurious than Tawana but I return to this "home" of mine at every chance I get. Why? Because they simply make you feel at HOME! So regardless if other people may say that Bangkok has better, newer or more modern hotels this is still the place for me! And I always look forward coming back there which I do once or twice a year....

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LDP-Vienna

Reviewed 4 August 2012

the tawana hotel is a good hotel and have warm staff and welcome , we have good times to this hotel , hotel rooms is good and clean and have a good breakfast , pool hotel is little small but very good and have a night bar with live music , the hotel is in good area and very near to patpong for looking , if we going to bangkok again stay in tawana hotel .

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed there for business trip on Jun 2012. I booked on-line and pricing was really good. The hotel basically is an old face-lifted hotel. Amenities are basic but sufficient. Hotel room and toilet is clean and functioning. The thing that I like is, all of the hotel staffs are sincere and would offer assistance if we need one.

The location is very good just in the middle of Phatphong area, about 5 minutes walk from Saladaeng BTS (MRT). Surrounded by stores, and convenient stores, food is not an issue. There is free Tuk-Tuk there, only since it is only 1, you can only enjoy it when available.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Great hotel really enjoyed the stay the staff where very helpful and friendly especially chang at the pool a super source of information and advice on Bangkok thank you very much all very much appreciated by Bob liz and Grace from Kenya

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Booked this hotel through my travel agent. The hotel is not at all good as they advertise in websites. The rooms are old ,it was always smelly as the rooms are not open for sometime. The condition of the toilets are very poor. The beds were hard and uncomfortable. The good thing is the location of the hotel. It is in the centre of the entertainment area in Bangkok . The staff is very unfriendly. I will not recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay for a long period.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed here only because my partner had to have an emergency operation at Chulalongkorns hospital and I needed a room close by. I went in to speak to them as my insurance company would be settling the dinner B&B charge. I was told no problem and conveniently my insurance company made the booking online. Well, that was the only easy bit as the Sales Executive at The Tawana Bangkok literally made my life hell after that. I was queried about the payment at check-in to which I politely replied it is going to company and you have all the details necessary to take payment -please ask them any questions.  I had supplied the sales executive with all necessary contact details and I knew my insurance company had e-mailed him as well. However this wasn't enough because I was then approached by e-mail and he actually came and sat down next to me at breakfast (which embarrased me greatly as other guest could hear what he was saying) and he phoned me in the room as well. I know for a fact he had full credit card details as he showed them to me. I also know they were supplied at the time of booking the room as well
as by e-mail ! And I had given them a swipe of my personal card to guarantee any extras as well! But now he wanted a copy of the insurance compnays credit cards front and back. He just would not leave me alone and made me feel like he thought I was a criminal and untrustworthy, and I had done nothing to warrant this suspicion.
I had explained the situation with my boyfriend who experienced post operation complications giving him a severe form of pneumonia and asked for us to be given a non-smoking room that was quiet because my boyfriend needed to be able to relax to gather his strength after 2 weeks in the hospital. Still when I checked in I was given a smoking room. But as it was late and I was very stressed and tired And didn't want to make a fuss I decided to move into a non-smoking room once my partner joined me a few days later. I asked to be moved in the morning and packed all my things up. When we arrived back late that evening we had not been moved. (just what we needed!) So we asked again, we were then moved in to a room which had a very bad smell in the bathroom, the wallpaper was coming of the wall in places and in general decay! I phoned to move again and we were then given another room which had been refurbished but had twin beds in it so we settled for this even though we didn't want twin beds. We noticed the next morning that the lights in the room and the aircon would flick on / off intermittently so at night the whole room would light up and then turn off again. Also the bathroom ceiling started to leak... We called and someone came  straight away to have a look. It was the air conditioning and the leak was fixed. When I tried to explain about the lights flickering I could not get anyone to  understand me so this was never resolved. As to the general condition of the room I would say it was a cheap makeover rather than a refurbishment, the bathroom especially. The food was generally ok however I ordered a spaghetti bologniese and got a carbonara ( but it was very nice) a few nights after I had a burger and it was raw ( not pink ) inside. The consistency in service was also bad, sometimes you got condiments sometimes you didn't (room service) sometimes it was delivered on a table sometimes it wasn't and so on. The breakfast was ok but nothing special and the food in the restaurant in the evening was extremely expensive for the quality of food.
All in all this was a bad experience, the only thing that was good about the Tawana was the friendly staff in the restaurant and the lobby. In partucular the sales executive who needs to be sent away to customer service school, his inexperience in dealing with guests in general was astounding. And although I repeatedly told him to bring any queries up with the insurance company he just didnt listen. It was like dealing with a child. It was all made worse 4 days before our departure when they suddenly said they didn't accept company credit cards and threathened to charge me the full amount unless the insurance company wired over 100.000 baht to cover my expenses ! My costs only added to 25.000 baht! Apparently once we checked out they would refund what was left over of the 100.000 baht. As you can understand it was getting ridiculous to the point of insanity. We were both baffled as to why he was making such a problem because he had all the deails necessary to take payment. Until a few months ago I actually worked in the business for a long time so I am sure of this -a credit card is a credit card everywhere. If I walked in to any hotel and gave them two sets of credit card details and said I needed a double room for 12 nights with breakfast AND dinner they would jump down my troat for the business. Throughout the whole experience we kept our cool and
continued being polite but this tipped us  over the edge. We made sure the bill was settled and checked out and left  as soon as we could. NEVER to return and every time someone mentions Bangkok I will tell them to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 22 June 2012

friendly staff , clean room, good location , nice swimming pool, wifi available

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends