“Comfortable and convenient”

Ranked #230 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Johore Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
“Comfortable and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

It's an old hotel but rooms are well mantained.theres a small oasis like pool area on 2nd floor.Lobby a bit dark due to mezannie floor.floor corridors nicely done up.
Patpong nite spots n nite market is diagonally across the road.tro patpong block about 150m,are the silom skytrain and underground-near Dusit thani Hotel.
Many convenient sshops,foot massage,F&B outlets etc.
Breakfast pricy but one can find cheap alternatives within 5 minutes walk-italian,Thai etc.
Overall Silom/Suriwong is ssort of central bangkok,not far from Sukhumvit,pratunan shopping,Yaowarat China town etc.
Good location,comfortable value for money hotel.i likee it's eye level easy to use in cabinet safe deposit box.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tring, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed at the Tawana on a stop-over in Bangkok, attracted by the good price available online.

We soon wished we hadn't. You can't argue with the price, but this is a hotel whose best days are very much behind it. It looks elegant enough, a bit like the sort of place that Alan Whicker would have stayed in back in the day. But that's not good enough for 2013, and the place is in desperate need of a facelift.

So - sticky carpets, cockroaches in the bathroom, lingering smell of smoke in a 'non-smoking room', dodgy flickering electrics, filthy windows.... That said, the concierge was very accommodating and the shower was good...

But - I would avoid this place next time. There are much better places to stay in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Erm... Go to another hotel?
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

I've been staying in Bangkok Silom area for many times. And tried most of the hotels there. During the recent trip, I was quite attracted with the price they offered which was about USD55 per night for a twin room, without breakfast. So I decided to give it a try since the lobby of the hotel look quite impressive every time I walk pass.

But then I realised it was a big mistake. There were a few major things that really turned me off about the hotel:
1) Despite the hotel is aged (I am ok with that), the room is not really in a good shape. Especially the carpet. It's very sticky and one cannot walk without a slipper. Ironically, there was only 1 slipper, 1 bathrobe, etc, for a twin sharing room. Then there was a sticker saying" The bathrobe is only for your convenient. If you need more you have to purchase from the hotel". I think this was ridiculous. Plus, they don't even provide a toothbrush. Yet they position themselves as a 4*star hotel in BKK. I over heard that they charge 2000++ baht per night for walk-in. Come on!

2) The worst thing was, they checked me into a smoking room. I didn't realised that until middle of the night, I woke up being choked by cigarette smoke came in by the old ventilation system. I have a very sensitive nose and throat. I have to bear with the smoke whole night because it was already past 3am when I realized that. Next morning, I went down to the counter with a sore throat and teary eyes, then the staff told me that I never stated that I want a non-smoking room. Maybe it was my mistake, but this wasn't the first hotel I've ever stay. I thought the special request should be the other way round! How many smoking floors you have???!

3) Thirdly, though this is not major issue, but the small little sticker they passed to me in the check-in envelope really turned me off. The sticker mentioned something like, they strictly do not encourage the guest to bring in their guest to the hotel after 1800. otherwise have to check in their name and pay extra fine. And they place a security guard right infront of the lift.

Okay, i totally understand that this is for the security of the guests. But passing you a note and treat you like a kid, or worst a 'prisoner' is absolutely a non-professional act to me. Some hotel give you a welcome drink to leave you a good impression, but they give you a warning sticker.

For a hotel that have been there for more than a decade, it's very sad to see how little they improve over the years. The hotel is definitely gone with the 'new' bangkok sets in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ahfook
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Regardless what others say, The Tawana will always remain my home in Bangkok, my favorite city on the planet! I just don't understand why is it that people knew right at the beginning that this isn't a new and modern hotel, yet they booked it just the same only to end up complaining later on because of its old fashioned and traditional nature, it beats me, really! If chic, state of the art and modern is what one is looking for, then Bangkok has plenty to offer. Go ahead, feel free to book there 'cos you ain't going to get that kind of atmosphere in Tawana! To me, this is exactly where I want to be. I am fully satisfied at how the whole hotel is lovingly and artfully decorated & furnished the traditional and nostalgic way. The wooden shiny floors, the classic furnishings, the brass staircases, hanging crystal chandeliers and beautiful etched mirrors on the walls. But the most important thing is that whenever I arrive, I am made to feel at home by just everybody and I am not a Thailander! Yes, most of the staff knows me and we've all become familiar with one another over the years. I am always assigned a room to my exact liking, very clean, spacious and comfortable. The management and staff are ready to bend over backwards anytime, always trying to please and make my stay enjoyable and delightful. And I just love their spa and the luxurious massages they offer, whether Aromatic or Thai. The smiling faces I see everywhere, greeting me, happy to see me back! The porters always running towards me to relieve my hand from carrying my heavy bags after a long day of shopping. No, it is not because of the gratuities they may get from me but it is simply that... as if I belong to the Tawana Family!!!

Room Tip: Poolside facing rooms with wooden floors... I just love the smell of wood!
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I really regretted my 4D3N stay and had wanted to cancel within an hour after i checked in.. I booked this place because of the price (cheaper than most) and location (near patong night market and BTS) and none of the reasons really is valid or as what i thought it would be.

First this place is really old (this was what worries me and i even called hotel to asks if they have newer rooms and was assured that they had renovated recently and rooms are all new now but it obviously not true) , my room had this MOLDY smell like old library, bed wasnt comfortable and rather small, carpeted floor and only one pair of slippers available. Toilet is really old, tub is so small and shallow (it barely up to my knee) and the railing are rusty not stable. There is also barely any toiletry available.. Usually the side lap is BESIDE the bed right? mine is in the nearly in the middle so i cant really lean against the wall as i would hit the lamp. The swimming pool is crap and outdoor stuff arnt great.

Next location isnt that great, except for the 7 eleven opposite, everything else nearby isnt really that fantastic.. I totally regret choosing this near for patong night market as it is crap and is more of a tourist trip but what is worse is that this is more well known as a red light district meaning there are many idiots around, esp its cab drivers loitering around the smoking area, outside the lobby offering you to such sex services and places and it's irritating and stressful. The food around that area are mostly Japanese and Korean food, the only really worthy place is sombon seafood but only open for dinner. Also i find it not as easy to get a cab who is willing to go by meter but its not so bad as the hotel staffs are always there to help..

Only saving grace is really the service and breakfast (50% discount for guest) as staff are prompt and nice.. However all in all, i would really strongly recommend you NOT TO STAY HERE

2 Thank MissyTeo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Our room was upgraded to a suite!! Walking distance to Saladaeng MRT station and is also near to a famous seafood restaurant.
The suite is huge and the room is clean.
Is just that the furniture is slightly old.
Too bad we only stay one night in Tawana.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

The Tawana Bangkok offers excellent 4 star accommodation for very good prices and it is located near a bts and metro station as well as being opposite Patpong night market. Breakfast is servced in their eponymous flagship restaurant and has a wide range of international foods. the rooms are quite spacious and visibly luxurious however they are let down by a poor bathroom, the bath is very shallow, barely bigger than a shower basin and the shower head n my room was disappointingly small and surprisingly dirty with limescale given the otherwise impeccable cleanliness or the room. The lobby and restaurants are all very grand however they are also expensive, on the contrary, room service seems quite cheap. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Tawana, the staff were friendly and helpful and the room was nice, with some personal favourite touches being the city veiw floor to ceiling window, luxurious queen size bed, ample flat screen tv and free maps of Bangkok. The Silom/Surawong area is a great base and i would happily stay here again, the fading asian grandeur is just part of its charm, there are not many hotels with this lever of up to date modern facilities for this price in central Bangkok!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo