“Nice room with reasonable price”
Review of The Tawana Bangkok

The Tawana Bangkok
Ranked #230 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 7 January 2014

As my friend was getting married there and we decided we need a room to change and a place to spend a night after the party.
We requested for non smoking and twin bed which is what we got. We knew that the hotel is old but it is well-maintained. New carpet, new curtain and such. There is free coffee and tea with a kettle. What we love about the room is there are many plugs (We don't have to fight to get our phone charged). The down side was that the room is a bit too dark and they have 16 or 17 channels for TV.
Our room didn't include the breakfast but they gave us 50% discount coupon for it. (Unfortunately we slept in and woke up after it finished)
The staffs are the crown jewel. Tip top service. They are all friendly and smiles. We asked for extra towels at night, housekeeping came in 10 minutes. However, when I called to request for non smoking room, it took them a while to locate my booking.

Room Tip: Book the room through 3rd party website, it will be cheaper than book directly with the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Technaja

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Excellent location, fantastic staff, personable people, etc. etc. You cannot go wrong in staying at this hotel. Everything about it was superior and have not one complaint. Their buffet breakfast was really good too.

Room Tip: We were with other individuals, and not one person said anything negative about their location of th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ApacheMesa
Reviewed 24 December 2013

The over all experience was amazing, I really enjoyed staying there, staff is helpful and nice, room is always clean, few clicks away from down town and the great shopping malls. I would recommend this for anyone visiting Bangkok

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 December 2013

very weird smell in the hotel
stunning lift
average bedrooms with very comfy beds - the best beds in bangkok
close to pat pong night market and excellent eateries
ok for 2 nights to get over jet lag
i would stay here again
check in was quick
very expensive mini bar and laundry services - best get them elsewhere
very expensive hotel restaurant please do not eat here, food quality was not amazing and prices are way too high!!!!!!
i would stay here again

Room Tip: high up as possible to get away from the noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gezjohnson
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I booked 2 rooms with my family and my children could not sleep well at night, unsure why. We travel at least 4 times a year and this has never happened. I noticed that the non smoking rooms still smelt of cigarettes.
The Concierge are all pleasant and friendly but the Reception Ladies people did not acknowledge my concerns when I spoke to them. In fact they were very stingy with their politeness and smiles.
They gave a discount of 50% for their breakfast but the selection is so poorly. Only some cold pastries, congee, fried rice and bottled juices which are not even fresh.
They were quick to completely clear the breakfast at 10:20 though we had no idea why. We were told breakfast was until 10:30.
Then we had a shock when we saw a cockroach roaming around the room and not even one, there were two!
I am utterly disappointed that such a nice hotel (we stayed there in the 90s before) can deteriorate like this.
Unless they are sure to clean up their rooms and carpets and shaping up their girls at the Reception, I don't see why we should return..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shyn s
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I found that the hotel exceeded my expectations for the price they charged. It is located in Silom, a business district with lots of tourist services, with excellent connections to other places. There are restaurants, a night market, massage parlours, shops etc. all around. Some looked a bit sleazy, especially at night, but overall I enjoyed the exuberant activity and the tastes and colours of the place.

The room was spacious, the bed comfortable and the service friendly and efficient. The breakfast menu was ok, although I was not enthralled with the orange juice and the tasty yoghurt is only served in tiny portions.

It is forbidden to take visitors to your room after 6 p.m., but that was not a problem for me. (I wonder how they enforce this rule.)

I swam in the hotel pool, it was a little cool (deep and shadowed by the high buildings all around) but pleasant exercise all the same. Brazilan samba music at just the right volume added to my enjoyment of the swim.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Maria M
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have stayed here now about 5 times and over the years have started to see the rooms slowly fade away. A nice coat of fresh paint, some new carpet etc would do wonders for this grand hotel. Showers need to be renewed as well, standing in a bathtub to have a shower went out in the 70's. Plastic shower curtain always getting in the way, surprisingly takes forever for cold water to get through the taps, at first I thought I had two hot water taps.

However saying all of this, location is great for the Patpong market, the BTS and the night life. Staff are always very helpful and never found any trouble with them. Only disappointment was the security guy who comes on duty about 6.00pm and scrutinises everyone heading to the elevators. They have a policy now of no visitors in guests rooms after 6.00pm which I find a bit off-putting, if I have paid for the room why can't I have a visitor???

So be warned if you plan bringing any visitors of any type back to your room after 6.00pm, especially if they are a local as they may get the third degree.

Other than that the price is good, but DEFINITELY book online, I had to stay a few extra days and to book my room at the front counter would have been double the amount charged to book online. Was nice of the receptionist to tell me this :-)

Outside renovations were in progress as I was here, the main reception room is spotless, just individual rooms need a make-over.

Room Tip: Think carefully before paying for room with breakfast, extra charge for my room was 500bath and no w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo