“Good location, but very dated”
Review of The Tawana Bangkok

The Tawana Bangkok
Ranked #232 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Melbourne, Australia
“Good location, but very dated”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My stay was pleasant. Staff were friendly. My room was very dated, pillows and bed were not comfortable. Shower and bath were small and the shower curtain was heavy and got in the way. I also noticed ants and a cockroach in my bathroom. The cleanliness of my room left a lot to be desired. This hotel is in an excellent location, but is in need of a major refurbishment.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a non smoking room, otherwise you could end up in a smelly smoky room like I d...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Wayne C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sandy, Oregon
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed at the Tawana twice...February and March. My room was satisfactory, the breakfast
offerings were sufficient (did not eat other meals In hotel), the wifi was totally inconsistent
(but not unusual for this part of the world) and the staff was helpful. The exchange rate was
not the best but there are several options quite close (I ended up using a very friendly
jewelry shop approximately 2 blocks on the same side of the street, turning left as you exit.)

Had a delicious meal at Jim Thompson's (across street BE CAREFUL!!! turning right as you
exit). In addition if you are so inclined, there is a Starbucks same direction as "my" exchange
jewelry shop. Across the street (can't say it too often, BE CAREFUL!) is a Jim Thompson
retail store (spendy as you might expect). The night market is in the direction of JT retail
store and with a bit more wandering you will find a mall (get directions), 7-11s, and vendors.
Not too far away (walkable) is a lovely temple as well as the Red Cross snake farm (I didn't
visit).

Traffic by the hotel can range from rather calm to chaotic. Surprisingly it is quiet as
the Thai do not use their horns much, like in rarely. However, where they may be
polite with the traffic, pedestrians are left to their own devices. I have done India,
Viet Nam et al so I am savvy...but there were times in Bangkok (and even Chiang Mai)
where I was not sure I was up to the challenge. My suggestion, glom onto a local
as he/she/they make the attempt. 6 eyes are better than 2.

As for wifi...it is sporadic at best but close to useless. While I was there, free access
in the lobby was offered, but I was never able to connect on my iPad. There is a street
side hotel coffee shop that if you order "something" will give you a password...this worked
twice momentarily. But I was grateful. You have to exit hotel and then enter this coffee
shop, which made a delicious Americano. Starbucks offers wifi for a price. And yes,
I did buy the hotel's wifi and could get on google, but could not get or receive emails.
goofy, eh? Staff tried as well. no refund, of course.

The staff is gracious, the elevators prompt, and I had no issues with my room either time.
Disappointed they didn't provide a shuttle (even for a fee) from the airport since I was a
solo 75yr old female traveler arriving at 130am. if you are price conscious check the web
offers for best price. I didn't consider this a cheap hotel.

Most of all, enjoy this city and I hope you find my hotel observations accurate. This was my
experience.

Please note: I accidentally checked rating of spa and could not uncheck it. I did not use spa.

Room Tip: Spa in rating above accidentally got touched in error and couldn't correct it. Did not use spa...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank fireshepdancer
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here for several nights, and it was a good place. My only complaints were that the wifi was not free (although, it was only $8 for 24 hours) and (like all air conditioning systems in that part of the world) room temperature is sometimes hard to control. But, welcome to SE Asia! Staff are very helpful and friendly, breakfast is not bad (eggs to order, etc.), and we found the food at the restaurant to be very good. The neighborhood is crazy busy with traffic so you have to be seasoned to cross the street, but there's a 7-11, the Patpong market, several bars and restauants in the area.

Room Tip: If you're around the pool, you will have more noise but it closes at 10pm
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathy0619
San Diego
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights and the amenities are nice for the price you pay. The hotel staff were exceedingly polite and, though the rooms are not new, it was a comfortable stay. The proximity to Patpong area was the reason we stayed and we were not disappointed. I did leave my wallet after checkout, but came back and retrieved it with no problem several hours later. They also had no problem storing my luggage almost the whole day after checkout, allowing me to pick it up at the end of the day and check into another place closer to the airport. It does take almost an hour to get to and from airport depending on traffic, thus the hotel switch for us.

Overall, I really can't think of anything I didn't like about the place, even if I was trying to nitpick.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nivekydear
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Rooms are old, rugs look original and not well cleaned, furniture is scarred from use, plumbing needs jiggling border to not keep running and if you want to go to sleep before ten do not get a room facing the pool.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Larry B
Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed 3 nights at the Tawana on a recommendation for its location (proximity to Patpong) and overall value. Turned out to be a standard place, probably in need of some refurbishment when compared to upmarket competition in BKK. Room was clean, brakfast nothing special, staff friendly. wifi is not free. Not much more to report!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin P
Kansas City
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Nice hotel with large rooms and bath. Several restaurants within walking distance too. The metro subway is a few blocks from the hotel and you can take ti to the air port. The outdoor pool is nice a large enough to swim some laps. The staff is friendly and farily good with English. The internet is not fast and it is not free.

Room Tip: I've been on the pool side and the street side and was pleased with rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends