“Location - not for me”

Rama Gardens Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #360 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Rama Gardens is good at convention and banquet business. Our BKK tours ended at this hotel and we decided to extend another night for its proximity to the Chatuchak market.
The hotel has been under ongoing renovation, It was reception area at time of visit. Nice lobby, banquet service and public areas. Room is spacious, clean and bright. Breakfast if included is an average. Contrast to the lobby floor, the corridor upstair is dark and carpet outdated. We experienced some noise from the guests who finished the banquet in the corridor. Unless you have to stay this hotel or to use DMK airport. it may not be a traveler's choice due to its isolated location as plenty of choices available along MRT stations at similar price.
We encountered a taxi problem. Following concierge direction, we left the nearest MRT station to take the taxi back to the hotel in the evening, we were refused three times once they read the hotel location.It is evident that they just don't like to go there for business reason.
The hotel offers shuttle service to Chatuchak market and other places. It has a limited schedule and carries 9 person each time. We chose to take taxi for under 100 Baht to the market.
Taxi to the main international airport is convenience. Have a reasonable price in mind and have the concierge to bargain with the taxi driver upfront. (we paid 500-550 baht)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Check-in:
The receptionist desk was at a very strange location, the desk was hidden away from the main lobby area. But the staff was courteous and efficient.

Room:
- I was in the Grand Courtyard, exec. deluxe room.
-For a hotel with this age, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the furniture, bathroom fixtures were kept up quite nicely.
- Wifi signal was good in the room, but would prefer if they didn't have separate logins for different sections of the lobby/ballroom.

Breakfast:
The breakfast was served buffet style in the lobby, food quality was so-so.

Location:
They're quite far from downtown BKK, but they provide shuttle service to major shopping areas in downtown.

Overall:
If you are in the Don Muang airport area and need a place to stay, this is a good option. It's a clean, safe and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I and a group of colleagues were there for a conference. It took the reception quite some time to check us in. The process did not seem organized and the reception staff were not as friendly as it should be and not proficient in English. The superior room I stayed was quite spacious and very clean, although the lightings were rather dim. Two lamps were not working and when we asked for them to be fixed, nobody responded. The beds were rather hard and my colleague jokingly said that he thought the hotel had forgotten to put on the mattress.
The breakfast buffet spread was not impressive and we were often left with few choice as the food were replenished at a rather slow pace. We did tried the Thai restaurant 'Forget me not' and find the food good and reasonably priced (in our standard). The hotel is about 45 min from central Bangkok so most of the time, we had to take a metered taxi out (about 130 THB to MBK). However, we find it hard to find a taxi driver willing to on the meter when we want to return to the hotel. It typically coated us 300THB on the trip back.
Overall, the services are just ok and they should serve with more smiles, considering we were in the land of smiles.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the hotel for a conference, and I tend to agree with what others have said. The room was quite OK and large (though I think I inadvertently booked an Executive room, instead of a Superior) but there is a feeling of faded glory. Light switches and the electric toilet flush had seen better days and need updating. You could turn off the bedside light from in bed, but to turn it on again, you had to get up and use the switches by the door! I was very surprised to find no wifi, though there were ports in the room if you'd brought a cable (remember those?) and you had to pay, around 100Bt/hour. Come on guys, this is 2012! The bed was hard but that didn't bother me. The basin and shower drained very slowly, suggesting that the pipes had not been unblocked in a long time. The staff experience was mixed - some were fine, some were not and a lot spoke little or no English. I had booked the hotels limo service to collect me from the airport (I was arriving in the evening and didn't fancy taking my chances with an opportunistic taxi driver doubling the journey length) but there was no sign of my driver when I emerged. I called the hotel and had huge language problems sorting it out. Eventually I figured out they were telling me I needed to go to meeting point 5 (which actually was meeting point 3) some 200m away. Why couldn't they have told me this when I booked the service? Incidentally, the limo (a posh Toyota) cost Bt1500 and took 50 mins to the hotel, even on a quiet Sunday evening. I reckon a taxi would have been much cheaper - my cab from downtown back to the airport took 90 mins but only cost Bt 300. The food was fairly OK, a good choice at breakfast but on one morning the staff seemed overwhelmed (and indifferent) and tables weren't cleared, supplies ran out etc. - not a good start to the day. My biggest disappointment was that I was looking forward to a Thai massage so at 4.30, after a quick dip in the pool, I went to the 'Sports Complex' to book one for later. There was a lot of conferring and giggling whilst I was left hanging around waiting for an answer. Eventually the girl showed me the booking list for the rest of the day, with only two half-hour slots occupied up until the 9PM closing time, and said "Sorry, full". When I pointed out the vast amount of unbooked slots on her list, she simply said "Full" or "Closed" - her only words of English, so it seemed. I was pretty cheesed off, not helped when I returned to my room at 5PM to find it being cleaned. This seemed normal - during the day when people were out they left the rooms, but by the evening when people were returning they decided that was a good time to do the cleaning! Final comment, as mentioned by others, is that this hotel is well out from the centre, in an unattractive suburb with no nearby amenities. Definitely not for tourists and by far the worst Thai hotel experience I have had over the years.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the gardens, rather than the expressway
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Was in Rama Gardens Hotel for a conference, and stayed in the hotel for 5 nights.

Pros:
- Clean, large and nicely decorated room. Love the couch corner.
- Good hard bed makes for a nice comfortable sleep.

Cons:
- Poor location. Hotel was located 30 minutes from the city, and at least 45-50 minutes away from the Suvarnabhumi Airport.
- No amenities/shops around the hotel surroundings.
- Staffs speaks very limited English.
- Breakfast was extremely terrible! Poor variety and food wasn't up to standard. Do not ever pay for it. It is totally not worth the money.
- No iron and ironing board in room. Ask for an iron from housekeeping, but was told I have to go to the housekeeping room to use the iron. And, there was only 1 iron per level. Ridiculous!
- Mosquitoes in rooms and hotel!!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the new building.
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Stayed here back when Don Muang airport was 10 minutes away. Great Staff, Great rooms, Awesome pool. You must stop by and say hello to "Lucky" he is the owner of Rama collections. He will taylor you up a suit for $75 u.s.d.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The hotel is a good 30min plus taxi ride (off-peak hours) from Sukhumvit and located in the middle of nowhere basically. Hotel itself is quite nice, large and clean but unless you have to be in this area for other reasons, this is NOT the hotel for first time tourists. And the beds are rock hard as mentioned by other reviewers.