Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside
US$373
US$297
Hotels.com
1,987 results
All reviewsthe riverplaza suiteasiatique marketfree shuttle boatboat servicenight markethotel boatexecutive floorsaphan taksina river view roombreakfast buffettuk tuksky train stationwelcome drinkthe hotel offerspool area isrooms are large
Reviewed 22 November 2011

My stay at the Ramada Menam was definitely one of the highlights of my excursion to Bangkok.
The hotel had an effortless style and an elegant atmosphere from the moment you are greeted at the entrance. We were given the option to upgrade to a suite for a fee during the check-in process and we were glad we agreed as the additional living room added a much more relaxed feeling to the holiday. I recommend trying the afternoon tea which definitely added a bit of sophistication to the week.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank BlacklabelUK
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is a review of my one (1) night stay on the 19SEP11 at the Ramada Plaza Menam Riverside (Menam)

==> Hotel/Location:
The Menam has actually been around for a number of years before being acquired by the Ramada Hotels group and being re-branded.

It’s a full-service 4-star hotel with about 500+/- total rooms spread out over the uppermost 12 floors. Natural, rooms come in all the standard arrangements from the basic twin/deluxe room, all the way to multi-room suites; and everything in between.

The hotel itself sits directly on the water front and more than 50% of the rooms have either direct or angled-views of the river itself. The building is shaped like the letter “U” with the open end facing to the river.

As a full service hotel, they naturally have the full range of amenities including a very nice, open air pool with pool-side dining and drinks available, attached Jacuzzi and sun loungers, several restaurants serving local, Asian, and international foods, two in-house bakeries, bars/lounges, a very well equipped and recently refurbished gym, health club, spa with massage, full business center, and plenty of free uncovered parking.

One of their restaurants is the only Bangkok location of the famous Hong Kong Ah Yat Abalone Forum Restaurants. This restaurant is a favorite with the Thai-Chinese local community and is popular for their dim sum lunch and evening parties.

One thing of note, that is not as common as one might hope, this hotel is in fact nearly completely ADA (disability) access equipped. There are larger entrance doors, ramps, and other modification to make movement for those with mobility-limitations easier.

The hotel appears to be well maintained and in good repair. During my stay I did not see things out of order/service, unclean or in disrepair. The hotels General Manager is a non-Thai resident manager and most of the hotels departmental leadership are Thai nationals.

==> Lobby/Check-in:
I’m a local Bangkok-resident so staying at the Menam for me is close-to-home “getaway” break. On this visit I drove to the hotel. Upon arriving at the main entrance my bags were taken from my car and tagged with my name. The bellman offered to park my car, but as the lot was very empty, I just parked myself.

The check-in process is, in my opinion, one of the most elegant parts of the entire stay.

After entering the building, you are shown to a peaceful sitting area furnished with several leather lounge chairs, a long leather sofa and with daily newspapers and magazines to read.

Less than a minute later, a front-desk staff member comes with a lacquer presentation and serving tray, with a glass of cold grape juice and a cold towel (much like the Japanese “oshibori” service).

As they place the lacquer tray on the table in front of me, I am politely asked for my name, my passport, and my credit card for an initial authorization.

About five minutes later, the same employee returns with my passport, credit card and my hotel folio with room assignment. She then accompanies me to the elevator and to my room and does the room presentation and familiarization herself. My bags follow less than five minutes later by the bell staff.

==> My Room:
I was assigned a deluxe room on the15th floor and had a river/pool-view.

My room was fitted with one queen-sized bed and was very, very comfortable. Normally in Asia beds are on the firm to very firm side, this bed was the idea balance of softness and firmness.

The television was a new flat-screen with full international channels and movies. There is a very nice, full-sized work desk with excellent work chair and lighting, lots of additional electrical outlets for your gadgets. It also had two small sitting chairs and one small table for relaxing.

The windows were wall-to-wall and provided a great view of the pool below as well as the Chao Phraya River. The curtains/drapes were good, but not true ‘black-out’ drapes- so light-sensitive sleepers should be aware.

There was a fully stocked mini-bar and free self-serve coffee and tea service. The closet had multiple hangars, bath robes, and room slippers.

The room décor is set in cool browns tones, and accented with natural wood colors. The bathroom tile is a nice granite-like finish. The entire room lighting and electronics can also be controlled via the master control module located at the bedside.

In the evening, there is a complimentary turn-down service as well.

==> Bathroom:
The bathroom was divided into two rooms or parts; sink/toilet is which about 65% of the total bathroom space, and actual shower/tub areas which is the smaller remaining 35% of the space. They are separated by a sliding solid wood door to allow for privacy.

The sink toilet area is very spacious and very modern; with more than enough counter space. It was equipped with a new designer style toilet, designer style sink, built-in hair dryer, fog-free make-up mirror and full set of pre- and post-bath toiletries branded with the Ramada name.

The shower/tub side is the smaller of the two “rooms”. Inside the space is a wall-mounted shower unit, and immediately next to it is the full-sized soak tub. The water pressure from both the shower and tub units was excellent; strong pressure and the hot water ran very hot in just a few seconds.

Everything in my room and bathroom was cleaned- spotlessly and in perfect repaid.

==> Hotel facilities and Amenities:
The hotel has all the amenities you’d expect from a 4- to 5- star hotel. The pool is beautiful and very large. It’s in the center of the hotel area but receives plenty of direct sunlight. There are lots of sun deck chairs and loungers. There are a number of restaurants including a riverside café where the daily breakfast buffet is served.

One of the more impressive features of the hotel is their gym and spa. The hotel gym is on the 3rd floor and overlooks the pool area and river in the distance.

It’s very well equipped, with many pieces of new, top-rate equipment like treadmills, exercise bikes, cardio equipment, weight machines, yoga area and a decent set of free weights. You can easily do a legitimate and full workout here no problems. The gym is well maintained, cooled nicely by air-con and has TV and radio available. There’s even a cold drinking water unit and towel service inside the gym.

==> SUMMARY:
Bangkok is awash in 4- and 5- star properties and has all the usual ‘high’ end names like the Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La and the like. I will also say that when I personally think of Ramada I don’t automatically think of them in the class as a Shangri-La, BUT, in this case, this hotel, the Menam is a VERY serious contender and can compare very favorably to any other 4- star property in the city.

The property is well maintained, staff are excellent, the service it top notch and the amenities like the gym and pool are clearly like you’d find in 5-star hotel.

At the price point that I paid, this hotel to me represents an EXCELLENT value and I’d have no issues returning.

==>Ratings:
** Overall: 5/5: A VERY good all-around 4-star property with no real deficiencies.

** Cleanliness & Value: 5/5: You can't beat this place in terms of value-- my room was a bargain and everything in my room was near spotlessly clean and in excellent repair. The furnishings are befitting a 5-star hotel

** Rooms/Sleep Quality/Service: 5/5: Slept well in the beds. Shower was fantastic. Loved the gym and pool- I could spend hours there, and the staff are unfailing pleasant and will to help.

** Location: 4/5: Directly on the river. There’s not a whole lot of tourist value that is within reasonable walking distance, but the hotel does operate a free shuttle boat that takes you to the nearest Skytrain station. To be fair, the location also means it has great views (riverside) and being a little away from the main areas also means less congestion.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GOPBI
Reviewed 15 November 2011

This hotel had a webcam on their entrance, pool area and the Chao Phraya River during the floods (available on their Facebook page), which was a huge relief for us! The people at the Ramada were exceptionally welcoming, friendly and happy to help us 'first time visitors' to Bangkok. They organised a taxi for a day to show us the sights of their amazing city, gave us free afternoon tea vouchers (high tea, and beautifully served), and even provided breakfast packs when we left for day tours before their buffet breakfast. As many people had cancelled due to the floods, we were upgraded into one of their magnificent Executive Suites, where we were pampered to the extreme. The pool is lovely, the service exceptional, and I can't praise this hotel enough for making our stay with them so wonderful!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 15th floor, overlooking the city, but there are river view rooms available.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kid_U_Not58
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Located on the banks of the Chao Phraya river, this is one of Bangkoks best 'budget' hotels. And when i say budget i mean £40 per night which is stunning value.

Fantastic river views over the city, breakfast was sensational and there was a boat service over to Saphan Taksin skytrain station which takes you over the city.

I would strongly recommend going to The Lebua State Tower at night to visit the sky bar. It will be the most expensive drink you have in Thailand at £20 per cocktail. But the views from the 63rd floor rooftop bar is unmatched anywhere else i've ever been.

Ramada was great value. Flood waters were approaching the day we left (the saturday) and i hope the Ramada dodged the brunt of it!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ChrisL1
Reviewed 30 October 2011

First time in Bangkok so it was refreshing to be greeted by the friendly staff with welcome drinks and then shown the rooms, how to operate everything, when breakfast is on and where ti was. Great service when you are tired after a long flight and arriving at 11pm at night.
Buffet breakfast was great with endless options and very courteous staff who showed you how it worked and helped you find your way around.
Concierge was good with her English and helped us understand the water ferry system so we could get to the attraction via the river the Hotel were on.
We would go there again.

Room Tip: Only need 600 Baht by Taxi from Airport
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends